At this very moment, 47 years ago..

SQUAD

3 hours ago, Planetfall said:

Well, yes NASA had a bigger slice of the national budget, but the national budget was a lot smaller in the '60s than today so NASA still gets around the same amount of money. And the in Apollo program, I Believe only three astronauts died (Apollo 1 fire), compared to the fourteen people who died in the shuttle program building the ISS.

Talk about risks the Shuttles had the largest crews ever and no escape system! All this for low orbit. Sigh.... I suppose I got of topic but I just hate the shuttle program.

So any way my point is wile yes I agree that the Apollo missions where not "sustainable" I feel that way because it was designed to prove America was better than Russia, flags and foot prints, not much more. There really wasn't that much the astronauts could do on the moon once they got there. I feel that after the third or so mission NASA should have focused on bringing better equipment to the moon, or better humans to Mars instead of low earth orbit. I just think we're going backwards. :/

I'll have to agree with you that this cold war between USA & USSR is meaningless because they only thought of beating each other, who's better, who's the loser, who'll win this competition. At one point in time, both governments were going to work together to go to space until Kennedy was killed, then then idea of joining forces became something out of the mind of a half-wit.

USA and USSR had good ship back in those days... The Buran, Saturn 5, Vostok, Proton, Mercury, etc. And now we're only relying on Russian Soyuz for manned flights and everything else for satellites + probes. It's because of what ever happens in the world, it's news will spread like a disease and if a casualty is in space, the victim's country of origin will be shamed for a long time until the media dies down.

You'll have to wait half a century for technology to evolve as countries today are covered in their own cloud of politics and are too concerned with making themselves more powerful, than uniting to colonise this small part of the milky way.

7 hours ago, Planetfall said:

so NASA still gets around the same amount of money

When I was a kid a gallon of gas cost $0.70 and today it costs 4 times that. Seems maybe NASA has effectively 1/4 the budget it had then?

On 7/20/2016 at 6:20 PM, worir4 said:

...And because of this , thousands of rockets in KSP have now been named 'Kerpollo' or something similar. (Don't deny it, I know every one did this when you started :wink:)

My name parody was the Apple-O. :P

18 hours ago, Felbourn said:

When I was a kid a gallon of gas cost $0.70 and today it costs 4 times that. Seems maybe NASA has effectively 1/4 the budget it had then?

Hmmm... That's a good point. I was quoting Robert Zubrin, i don't know if he took inflation into account. 

I did a little research to answer our question, @Planetfall. It looks like the NASA budget was effectively two times larger during the "space race" than it is today. In adjusted dollars the peak years were 1964-1968 when NASA was getting effectively 2½ times what they get now.

On 7/20/2016 at 10:50 PM, Dr.K Kerbal said:

Yeah. Eventually, the Apollo Missions got too expensive

Well, not quite. Far and away the biggest part of the cost was R&D and testing, testing, testing. The decision to cancel everything Apollo has been likened to purchasing a Rolls Royce, then not driving it because the fuel was too expensive.

On 20/07/2016 at 9:44 PM, Dr.K Kerbal said:

It's pretty how they went to the Moon 47 years ago, and now, when we have amazing techology, were only sending man to low Earth Orbit!!! 

Yes, but *living in space* is almost routine now. Just *going* to space was much more of a landmark in the 60s. We're sending complex robotics all over the system now, we didn't have that at all back then.

I suspect my first Mun trip was called "To the Mun!" or something.

Edited by Van Disaster

In every save I have, I have done at least one Mun mission. My current active save is TBSP (and no, it's not the tablespoon) 2.0 (1.0 got destroyed by 1.0.5-1.1). Both Mun missions, I've sent the main 3 (not the Orange crew, but the orange crew renamed after people I know IRL). I literally have not done a Minmus mission post-1.0. I've only done one Duna mission. The last thing I did in the save was send a lander probe to Laythe, the Joolius 1.

*under order of the Kerballian Federation, I am not allowed to disclose what TBSP stands for*

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.