Missing Savefiles or "rollback" On restart - Got a workaround

9 minutes ago, Homedawgian said:

Well in that case, I'm assuming it despawns because I don't believe the tracking station has been showing anything that doesn't have some type of command module on it. I'll have to look more into that when I get a chance to get on.

By default debris visibility is turned off in the tracking center. If it works like PC you have to move your cursor to top center of the screen to turn on and off different categories in the Tracking Center (or map mode).

22 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

By default debris visibility is turned off in the tracking center. If it works like PC you have to move your cursor to top center of the screen to turn on and off different categories in the Tracking Center (or map mode).

Wow. Thanks a bunch, I'm glad to find that out now before it becomes an issue.

1 hour ago, Homedawgian said:

Does anyone know if space debris  despawns at some point? I don't see any way of clearing it all out aside from making sure it's on a collision course before jettisoning it.

Yeah as Red Iron Crown explained the ones that doesnt burn up or crash too the ground, I ususaly manualy "delete" from the TrackingStation, not sure if you need the 1st Upgrade, tho i have that one. And my filter - "debreis" button in TrackingStation, is somehow normaly activated.

Then just mark the debrees in left menu, & delete them With the red button bottom left.

Edited by DaCana

17 hours ago, DaCana said:

did you even read any of the posts in the thread?  or just the Title? 

And btw I never put this Thread in support, i put it in General area, Val must have linked it or sumthing, cuz it conserns every console player. And this was the 1st thread they (Squad) ever mentioned they knew about the problem.

Hey, no need to be a jerk. I posted that to the thread before it had any *actual* questions about support for bugs, and was just unfiltered complaining.

34 minutes ago, Andem said:

Hey, no need to be a jerk. I posted that to the thread before it had any *actual* questions about support for bugs, and was just unfiltered complaining.

sorry for offending you :* kisskiss ^*

and Yeah, ur still very wrong, just 2 hours before ur post, i posted a LONG one, containing Proof and whatnot... 

as i said earlier, you didnt read the posts in the thread...  ok maybe the 1. page... 

I agree that the Old topic was no longer needed, as it got sum attention, so changed that one when it got too a Support Thread.

anyways, were'e so outta topic now, ill just rest it at that.

Thanks for the Nice & usefull inputs tho :)  appriciate it!

Edited by DaCana

Yeah,, I found a temporary Fix. Just free up some Space, by Deleting "unused" Craft-recepies, from ex. Build menu, Press Load Craft, Then just Delete some Old stuff, also seems that "XL" Ships With more parts takes up alot more of the memory, and that is uses the same memorybank as savegames.

Edited by DaCana

now, this bug is as far as i know more or less confirmed now, that be the savelost bug & how you can work aound it With that fix.

Again, I applaude Squad for taking a look at this, but after the "fix" has been out for days now, i feel it strange that you cant:

a: Put this post as a sticky,

b:  or even better, make a New clean thread, where maybe you yourself could explain this problem,

c: or just take what i learnd/researched and used it in the thread New clean thread.

Edited by DaCana

Well I borrowed an Xbox, I'll try to reproduce this later today.

On 22/07/2016 at 1:11 PM, DaCana said:

Yeah, like Sal's the one who solved the problem :P:wink:   no prob dude,  cred go, where creds earnd

, im just glad i can play it again.  have fun ^*

All credit to you guys for working the problem, I'm just a middleman here :)

On 21/07/2016 at 6:23 PM, DaCana said:

Then reloaded game, And woala...    The savegame #4 was Lost!!

I need a little more clarity on this part though, did you quicksave then load the save, or did you go to the Xbox menu and close KSP, or did you go to the KSP main menu?

4 hours ago, sal_vager said:

Well I borrowed an Xbox, I'll try to reproduce this later today.

All credit to you guys for working the problem, I'm just a middleman here :)

I need a little more clarity on this part though, did you quicksave then load the save, or did you go to the Xbox menu and close KSP, or did you go to the KSP main menu?

When you quick save it will still act as if it is saving and it will even let you load the saves. It's when you close the game or if it crashes that causes the rollback

Fastest way would probably be sandbox mode. Just throw together a few big rockets, launch maybe 5-10 of them, save the game and then close the game from the Xbox One dashboard. If the problem doesn't occur, just add more ship save files and repeat. Time might be a factor as well, so maybe time warp for a year or so.

Edited by Homedawgian

3 hours ago, Homedawgian said:

When you quick save it will still act as if it is saving and it will even let you load the saves. It's when you close the game or if it crashes that causes the rollback

Fastest way would probably be sandbox mode. Just throw together a few big rockets, launch maybe 5-10 of them, save the game and then close the game from the Xbox One dashboard. If the problem doesn't occur, just add more ship save files and repeat. Time might be a factor as well, so maybe time warp for a year or so.

It looks like @DaCana is on the right track with his temporary fix, it does look to be a limit on data rather than time, I was able to reproduce it with lots of quicksaves and a few ships around the KSC.

1 hour ago, sal_vager said:

It looks like @DaCana is on the right track with his temporary fix, it does look to be a limit on data rather than time, I was able to reproduce it with lots of quicksaves and a few ships around the KSC.

Nice! That would pretty much confirm it. Only reason I mentioned time was because I'm assuming that the position of the celestial bodies also takes up memory.

58 minutes ago, Homedawgian said:

Nice! That would pretty much confirm it. Only reason I mentioned time was because I'm assuming that the position of the celestial bodies also takes up memory.

Nah their positions are based on the elapsed time of the save.

On 25/07/2016 at 9:13 PM, Megadon said:

So will this problem be patched soon?

As soon as I find out when it'll be patched I'll let you and everyone else know.

This is the official line regarding console patches.

The release processes on console and PC are quite different, and the console builds are based off of the PC ones. When we want to patch the consoles we merge PC commits and work on the custom code and assets that are needed to make it run on the consoles. The console builds then have to go through certification with the console manufacturer (Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo) before we can make them available. As a result the consoles are likely to run a little bit behind compared to the PC releases, but we will keep updating all platforms as we move forward.

So a patch is definitely planned, I just don't know when we'll see it.

On 7/21/2016 at 9:02 AM, eddiew said:

To be fair, Squad handed over the console ports to third parties. While I get that it must be frustrating, they're not the right target for your anger...

OF COURSE they are the right target. They are responsible for everything named Kerbal Space Program. They made the decision to 1) Port it 2) The company that ported it; and 3) To release the worst port of a video game in the history of video games.

When Ford sells you a car, they don't refer you to the company that made the head gasket if the head gasket blows, and shrug their shoulders. The company who sells you the game is where the buck stops, period.

Majorjim was spot on 21 July post.   Thundering silence from developers.  If somewhere I saw the Company saying "we have incremental updates planned, please be patient"   Then I would be less annoyed at the glitches.  And as I have said elsewhere, I had KSP on MAC and it was glitchy then (year ago?).  So just comes across as greedy to put out a shoddy product and leave it to the Forum community to come up with fixes and work arounds.  And given the number of glitches I have been seeing on Xbox I can only wonder (be amazed) at how strong the fan base is.  I have to believe that an awful lot of folks love the idea of this game (like me) but unlike me turn a blind eye to the poor execution.  Pay me today for operability (maybe) tomorrow...Just had an idea...they could reskin it and call it "Defense Contract Management Sim"

I will give it another month to see if progress is made or even promised.  After that, I am just not geek enough to put up with the tiny fonts, quirky interface, random accomplishment recognition, etc etc.

DBW

If somewhere I saw the Company saying "we have incremental updates planned, please be patient"...   

KSP has been getting incremental updates for 4 years. There's no reason to assume that's going to stop now. 

... leave it to the Forum community to come up with fixes and work arounds...  

Devs are working on some. Players are working on some. It's not one or the other, but both. 

3 hours ago, hippoposthumous said:

OF COURSE they are the right target. They are responsible for everything named Kerbal Space Program.

This I agree with. Ultimately Squad is responsible for all versions of the game, regardless of who handled the port. However, 

3 hours ago, hippoposthumous said:

and 3) To release the worst port of a video game in the history of video games.

This is a pretty unfair hyperbole, in my opinion. The console ports seem perfectly playable for lots of people, that's hardly the worst anything of anything. 

2 hours ago, dbwhip said:

Majorjim was spot on 21 July post.   Thundering silence from developers.  If somewhere I saw the Company saying "we have incremental updates planned, please be patient"   Then I would be less annoyed at the glitches.

Look two posts above yours :wink:. Seriously though, @sal_vager may not be a developer, but he is Squad staff, and is in direct contact with the devs. And he has been spending time (some of which I would bet is his free time) for several days to help track down the issue. So claiming a "resounding silence" from Squad is a bit off. 

7 hours ago, FullMetalMachinist said:

@sal_vager may not be a developer, but he is Squad staff, and is in direct contact with the devs. And he has been spending time (some of which I would bet is his free time) for several days to help track down the issue.

Yep, all my forum interaction is in my own time.

Thanks for looking into it Sal_vager, & for taking the time too actually getting a Xbox and replicating it ^^

As you probably know by now, it doesnt matter what way you save, Autosaves, Manual named saves, Quicksaves And even saved Ships and Sub-assemblies, will not "save" or to make it Clear! Yes, you can see them in the Loadscreen, as if it did save it, but when restarting the game, from "Dashboard", every save that was made after the "memory" was maxed (of wich you get no warning), will be gone, or lost.

Search my posts And see all the screenies I took, i did one while saving, one that showed the loadscreen before restart, and one showing the "rollback" from maxed mem after restart.

Anyways, as i've said, i just delete some of my older or no more needed creations, and then save the game. Have'nt had a missing save since.

Cant wait for the 1.st patch ^^

Any idea of what size the Savegame files are at compared to Crafts/Ships?   is it any help keeping savefiles at a low number too? or do Crafts take or way more Space then the saves? Or even worse, are all the Crafts saved every time, in each savefile or seperated? (Guess i could load an older game so i could see if the ships did a "rollback" too)

Edited by DaCana

On ‎25‎.‎07‎.‎2016 at 1:36 PM, Homedawgian said:

The Funny thing is, you dont even need to fly a single ship. Just start a New game, make one Large XXL ship, With alot of parts (290+). Then save it With New names 10 times,  My Guess is that it saves 7 or 8 of them, And the rest will be gone on restarting the game ^*    Its all about the memory.

So my Guess is its a little "misscomunication" or missunderstanding of how the savesystem on consoles work.

---------------------------------------------------

I also Guess its the same problem PS4 users have, only that Xbox's system doesnt make the last "maxed out file" and maybe PS4 makes a "half finished" corrupt one.  Allthough crashing while saving might be another issue,... if that is what the ps4 problem is about.

Edited by DaCana

What I've found is if there's enough user data of any sort it can fail to sync, it doesn't even sync part of your files, it just seems to stop working.

Craft files can do it but you need a lot of them, hat really fills it up is your saves, the more craft in those saves the sooner you max out.

And when you do, no more syncs are made, so all the updates to the persistent.sfs and quicksave.sfs are not sent to the server, so when you restart you're left with what saves you had when you reached the limit, and any progress after that point simply wasn't saved.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.