Stress out the Devs! (and KSP)

Hello everyone!

I have a request from the devs to find saves and craft that will really put KSP through its paces, so they can narrow down on the best places to focus on optimisation.

And as we want to make KSP the best it can be for you, the players, it stands to reason to use saves and ships that you girls and guys use in KSP.

So what better way could there be than to make this a challenge to the community?

The challenge is simple, submit a craft or a save file that stresses the stock game in some way and tell us about it, high part count vessels is an obvious one but we're also looking to stress other areas, such as...

• Mining
  • Resource transfer
  • Physics
  • Thermals
  • Docking
  • Vessel count
  • Cluttered saves

And anything you can think of really, if you can slow the game down or grind it to a halt in novel ways we want to hear from you!

The 'winner' and runner up's are whoever posts a file that causes the devs game the most stress, and will be immortalized here on the challenge leaderboard.

Leaderboard

1. @DoctorDavinci
  2. @Cunjo Carl
  3. @Monsterlunch
  4. @Castille7
  5. @Sharpy

Well done guys!

So I made this thing and figured it might be along the lines of what you are looking for in regards to high part count monstrosities. At first I got about 6 seconds real time to every in game second but that was reduced once I shed some parts and got out of the atmosphere ... Finally ending up at around 4 seconds RT to every second in game (that is until I started dropping probes).

I did have some issues in the VAB when trying to set up the decouplers into many separate stages which became a huge hassle with 108 probes (it is actually 12 main probes each with 9 probes attached to them ... so technically 120 probes onboard) so I didn't bother setting up the probe staging ... perhaps the devs will have an easier time setting that up in the VAB than I did if they decide to give 'er a go

I am running an A8-6500 3.5Ghz APU (running at 3.9) with 10Gigs of ram and Win10

I tried to upload the craft to KerbalX but the file is too big :rolleyes: so I put it on DropBox ... https://www.dropbox.com/s/8yuoohpruc5tmuk/CUBE-MA 1889.craft?dl=0

Name: CUBE-MA 1889
Cargo: 108 Remote Science Probes including a resource scanner on the mothership
1889 parts (1775 in orbit)
2027.371 tons on the launchpad

Here's a video of me throwing her up into a 500km orbit

Edited by DoctorDavinci

Maybe someone could fire engines into parts (Accounting for the damage offset) to stress the thermal physics and explosion physics? Along with, maybe, a sundive with "Ignore Max Temperature" on to see if the old sundive physics glitch is back.

3 hours ago, Monsterlunch said:

I'm just gonna leave this here and walk away.

OUBEPlm.png

The save is available here:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!As2GC2hXr8zzgYsrVguJVeQiFlfR9Q

At 500 active Vessels, the game is pretty much slowing to a crawl. Fix needed!!!!

0 out of 5 Stars.

How did you manage that? Is that a real game or ypu just hyperedited stuff for two hours?

If it is indeed real, you are a monster.:confused:

Let me make this 100%, absolutely, positively clear. NO MODS.

That is not a judgment; I love playing modded. That's not even a statement about whether Squad "supports" mods; I invite you to look at our record, and all the stuff we've added recently just for mods. But we have some very specific goals for this, and mods will break those goals.

Further, I want to emphasize stock save files. We want save files with, say, a whole colony of mining vessels, dozens of vessels in various orbits, as well as high part count ships. High part count vessels are comparatively trivial to make, it just takes cloning stacks. Multi-vessel saves, however, are not trivial.

17 hours ago, wibou7 said:

How did you manage that? Is that a real game or ypu just hyperedited stuff for two hours?

If it is indeed real, you are a monster.:confused:

It was a mix of hyperediting and craftmanship. :rolleyes:

14 hours ago, NathanKell said:

NO MODS.

By "no mods", do you mean :

"no mods at all involved in the lifecycle of the save"

, or no mods as in

"no mods needed to run this save".

2 hours ago, Monsterlunch said:

It was a mix of hyperediting and craftmanship. :rolleyes:

By "no mods", do you mean :

"no mods at all involved in the lifecycle of the save"

, or no mods as in

"no mods needed to run this save".

Agreed. If we can get everything up with MJ using mechjeb and engineer for all, then we uninstall those two mods, confirm that everything is working, then send you that save, is that acceptable? Or does it truly need to be 100% vanilla the whole time?

20 hours ago, NathanKell said:

Let me make this 100%, absolutely, positively clear. NO MODS.

That makes perfect, perfect sense. Hopefully there are enough players out there who both, (1) have played enough hours to build a save borky enough for your purposes, and yet (2) have never used a part or planet mod which would invalidate said save for your purposes. I estimate the odds at... 2.5sigma unicorns :) 

Edited by Kuzzter

We should also unfortunately avoid things modified by Hyperedit. I've found that a hypereditted orbit and a stock KSP one are not always the same bug-wise.

I have a few things to submit for ship, save and career handling. I have obscene piles of all 3, and KSP starts to (understandably) chug or glitch in certain conditions. I'll write a small vignette for each along with a screen cap and the zip files, in the spoiler tabs down below. I'd like to preface everything with: Thanks for making such a fun game and continuing to make it more enjoyable over all these years!

1. Many Careers

Spoiler

KSP handles many careers exquisitely well. I expect about a second of lag waiting for the "Continue Saved Game" menu given ~1.5GB worth of ~100 careers. I've just packed a large portion of them into this zip file if you'd like to experience the same.

380.png

Why so many careers? It's my dream to get KSP shown at AGDQ. The careful planning and precision of KSP mixed together with the frenetic speed and intensity of speed running- It's like peanut butter and chocolate. So I made a bunch of careers failing fast and learning ways not to speed run. Got there in the end!

These saves should all be 100% stock without cheats (I've weeded those files out), though it's possible a single hyperedit use snuck in somewhere. Just for fair warning, the file will unzip to over a gig.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4VfTCvq4M80QVRta2VjRWduY2M

2. Many Quicksaves

Spoiler

KSP handles many quicksaves fairly well while focused on a vehicle (from alt+F9). However, when selecting 'load game' from the KSC it hangs for a little over half a minute given ~400 saves averaging ~1MB even if the files are on an SSD. I purposefully keep my individual quicksave files small (by keeping few active ships) expressly for the purpose of easy save/reload and not eating my SSD space. I've included a single example file here, but you can find several choice examples in the large zip from part 1 above.

381.png

These quicksaves span every SOI and have a wide variety of precarious/unusual situations. This save should also be 100% stock without cheats, though it's possible a single hyperedit use snuck in somewhere. The file will unzip to about 0.5GB.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4VfTCvq4M80RzhwM2NvNHdHX2s

3. Many Ships

Spoiler

I've been very impressed with how well the recent versions of KSP handle many ship files from the VAB or the launch pad. It hangs for only ~20sec for ~500 craft files stored on an SSD.

382.png

To keep craft load screen times down, I typically keep my crafts distributed between a few files, but I've compiled them in a single file here for your use. Even recently I seem to remember it hanging a bit longer when loading- I wonder if having the craft photo available has an effect? I've noticed the craft thumbnail doesn't migrate with craft files.

These ship files should be 100% stock, though it's possible a single KER computer snuck in. The file will unzip to about 150MB

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4VfTCvq4M80SjUxcG9xOHhON2M

4. Old Ships

Spoiler

Why not break out some craft files that are 30 version changes past their prime. Accounting for physics changes, they still seem to work. Awesome! I'll let you be the judge of their usefullness.

383.png

These ship files are 100% stock from version ~.20. Though they've been copied across computers, but have not been modified by KSP since they were made. The file unzips to a paltry 40MB.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4VfTCvq4M80Rm4wWWI3bmxIckU

5. Goin' all over the place

Spoiler

I suspect you already have a file along these lines, but I figure I'll include this because it is truly all-encompassing and has some fairly exacting documentation. It also shows the tell tale double strike of the hell kraken. You'll note that any time it crashes KSP, it tends to crash it again about 10-20 minutes later if you keep SOI jumping. These files were made in v 1.05 (which I recognize limits their usefulness) and I haven't seen the hell kraken since then. I also haven't done anything like this since then either...

What's the deal with this? As I mentioned back up in section 1, It's my dream to get KSP shown at AGDQ. The careful planning and precision of KSP mixed together with the frenetic speed and intensity of speed running- It's like peanut butter and chocolate. So I made a speedrun planting a flag on every body and returning in one session. It's hard to test KSP's meddle much more than that! It held up very nicely save for the krakens. Nothing incurs the wrath of the hell kraken like changing SOI a hundred times in a single sitting.

Video of making this file of ~350 quicksaves spread across the cosmos:

Save file: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4VfTCvq4M80MHVyby03bEhGQms

Documentation: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4VfTCvq4M80ZUk2cnRjZlZWcE0

Quick save times and video times can be roughly correlated, accounting for the couple minutes spent not recording due to hell krakens. There's slightly more information available in the final draft here. I doubt it's pertinent, but I figure better more info than less? Link.

6. Alt-Tabbing out

Spoiler

Honestly, the only thing that really stresses KSP these days (for me) is alt tabbing out. Oh, there goes another one now.

385.png

I recognize this isn't the intent of the thread, but I'm sure I'd never remember to send these in otherwise. Somehow it felt in the spirit of "tons many lots". Good luck, and thanks!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4VfTCvq4M80UGh6UHU0ZDgtR0k

Once again, thank you for your continued work on this wonderful game! I'd like you to know that KSP is now notably less glitchy than my professional CAD and modeling software for a given craziness of design. Thanks for always striving to make it better still!

I hope this was along the lines of what you're looking for. I should have a few nice physics teasers to share next week as well.

Very much in the thousand part monstrosity category a 1356 part booster powered exploding disco glitter ball.

Didn't stress it as much as I was expecting to be honest - single figure FPS but that's to be expected - some interesting lighting effects though as the terrain tile gets bleached out, and the parachutes on many of the individual "disco bomblets" remained inflated long after landing.

Disco Inferno 3 craft file available at: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzCQMKilmnyaa25RUVo1YzNfajg/view?usp=sharing

Edited by MiniMatt
added craft file

14 hours ago, MiniMatt said:

and the parachutes on many of the individual "disco bomblets" remained inflated long after landing

They were probably outside the 200m(?) physics bubble surrounding the active vessel. It seems that KSP extends the bubble while they're still in the air, but the moment they touch the ground and go "landed", the bubble is retracted for those vessels.

13 hours ago, taniwha said:

They were probably outside the 200m(?) physics bubble surrounding the active vessel. It seems that KSP extends the bubble while they're still in the air, but the moment they touch the ground and go "landed", the bubble is retracted for those vessels.

Yep, that looks to be exactly what's happening, and other than the old chestnut of recoverable booster stages/drop tanks not remotely problematic (and even then it's a design/physics problem rather than a stress problem).

My thinking was that aerodynamics has a load, physics has a load, and multiple light sources has a load, so combine them all into a 1000+ part monster and it'll be bound to break the game. It didn't, in fact it coped far better than I was expecting. Even the tile bleaching is really just a case of looking fugly rather than unduly stressing the system (happens with far fewer lights btw, but suspect a fix for a couple dozen lights will scale up quite happily to a couple hundred - again, not a stress problem).

The situations I've encountered slowdowns organically rather than in artificially generated scenarios are all (as Kuzzter prophesised above) modded to some extent - my stock saves just never get that large before I feel the need to install at least kerbal engineer, some prettification mods, some parts, some planets, some new mechanics etc.

This is an Omega 7 PreRelease and posting it for it's Part Count at 2319. I have made a few test launches and every launch was losing craft. If you would like to Orbit the Space Station remove all additional craft from the Docking Ports. The Craft are Cyber Four, The Matador and the Omega Transit One, all will be released with their launchers when the Project is complete.

Omega 7 PreRelease

DZaMv1k.png

NdPKgqw.png

Craft File

Edited by Castille7

Still in 1.0.5 due to things on my end, so I can't help directly, but I do have a couple of ideas:

1. 1,000 Kickbacks pointed straight down, side by side, 100x100, on the pad or runway(or wherever something that big would fit), all firing at once. Should test thrust limits.
  2. A ton of decouplers/stack separators on the same craft, all on the same stage. Tests the creation of many craft at once, number of separate craft in physics/model range, and stability of such creations.
  3. As much LF, LF/O, Monopropellant, Xenon, and ore as one has the patience to assemble, likely with a different craft for each fuel mix and ore.
    1. See how fast you can get such a craft going after getting it into space- likely by save file editing.

6 hours ago, Paaaad said:

Still in 1.0.5 due to things on my end, so I can't help directly, but I do have a couple of ideas:

1. 1,000 Kickbacks pointed straight down, side by side, 100x100, on the pad or runway(or wherever something that big would fit), all firing at once. Should test thrust limits.
  2. A ton of decouplers/stack separators on the same craft, all on the same stage. Tests the creation of many craft at once, number of separate craft in physics/model range, and stability of such creations.
  3. As much LF, LF/O, Monopropellant, Xenon, and ore as one has the patience to assemble, likely with a different craft for each fuel mix and ore.
    1. See how fast you can get such a craft going after getting it into space- likely by save file editing.

I like the ideas! I've got a ~2k SRB test slated for next week, but rather than for testing thrust it's to clog the GPU with smoke effects. I've actually got it running right now, and it works a treat, but I gotta clean out the mods and document it. I'm happy you mentioned the runway, I was actually running out of space on the launch pad, and hadn't thought of a good way around it. Seems so obvious once you mentioned it!

416.png415.png

The idea is that while the engines are running, you get all kinds of things to slow down the computer, but because the craft is stationary you can put it on rails with time acceleration, and then see what the slow-down-effects of the smoke is exclusively. It seems to be ok, as long as you don't look at it too closely. If you look too closely it crashes straight to desktop :). So SRBs pointed straight down = entertaining.

Oh, a big note! For anyone toying with the outer extremities of KSP physics, make sure to do it in a save file you don't care about! Normal KSP crashes are fine, but sudden KSP crashes like we'll be experiencing can torch a save.

Edited by Cunjo Carl
typo

screenshot2.png

I present for your approval the CANUKWorks 5583

This 5583 part monstrosity has 192 science satellites onboard, each with an Ion engine as well as power and Xenon.

There is one in a 100km orbit of Kerbin as well as one in a 100km orbit of the Mun

Turn on the lights then press Z - T - Space ... They will stage all at once creating 193 vessels instantaneously and you can watch the beautiful display of red and blue patterns as well as push the limits of the game in regards to vessel count and how the distance of each cluster of vessels affect the cluster of other vessels over time

Craft File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ljxc0osrgpyx3wt/5583.craft?dl=0
Persistence: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7r85lhvf3vmtk2m/persistent.sfs?dl=0

Edited by DoctorDavinci

1 minute ago, The_Rocketeer said:

@sal_vager shouldn't you ask submissions to state whether they're using 32-bit or 64-bit? I would have thought anything that makes the tiniest dent in 64-bit to be far more severe in 32-bit, but whadooinoh?

Well, as 64bit only really makes more memory available and has little to no effect on performance, nah.

Where the devs can make the most improvements is with CPU usage, just filling your RAM and hammering your page file is a hardware problem :wink:

At the request of the developers I have removed a bunch of off-topic posting to keep the signal to noise ratio in here up. 

Further posts that do not either a) include a save file or craft file or b) directly discuss how to stress the game will be summarily removed.

One area which for a long time has (moderately) stressed KSP more than one might expect is the R&D screen & the Mission Control screen. The VAB & SPH screens used to suffer similarly, but (with ground crew off at least) this has improved greatly in recent releases. The disparity between the VAB/SPH & other screens makes me think this *might* be a relatively easy fix.

My *guess* is that the KSP centre environmental effects are still being drawn behind the R&D/Mission Control screens (possibly astronaut complex too, don't spend enough time in there to check) as this becomes more noticeable when environment mods are installed (eve/scatterer etc) but I stress this is just as present in stock.

Now it's no great problem, as those screens are not hampered by slower framerates, it's more a quality of life thing - GPU fans ramping up whilst you ponder which tech to unlock or contract to take is not ideal.

Beginning by sitting in the VAB doing nothing, about half way through the graph below I switch to doing nothing in the R&D tech tree screen:

lgYWh18.png

(no save file provided as the effect is not contingent upon any particular save setup - an empty brand new save shows it just as well as any other)

I present to you the 1550-part monstrosity known as "The Stack of Separators"

sDJDyQp.png

It is mostly made up of I-beams and stack separators (hence the "stack of separators") clipped together in a giant blob.

When launched, it will shake and jitter, and some parts will appear to fly out of it, or "orbit" another part.

4VnzQfN.png

(Picture from a slightly earlier version of the craft) The part is still attached, and will continue to fly up and down until the game crashes or it explodes.

Decoupling all the stack separators at once will lead to game freeze and crash.

sr1EADf.png

Here you can see that KSP has stopped responding and crashed.

If you decouple them 64 at a time (a staging icon), the game does not crash, but instead runs at about 1 FPS with the explosions.

Craft File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/n2tfxudpj7nfj46/Stress Craft.craft?dl=0

Edited by spacebrick3