[WIP] [1.2.2] Justin Kerman's Tank & Engine Salvage

SilverWolf

Several months ago, a rising star of an engineer newly employed at Justin Kerman's Tank & Engine Salvage found it wholly unacceptable how absurdly that some cockpits were obscenely more massive than some other cockpits were when attached to air-breathing rockets not intended for space flight, that the novel notion of completely rethinking the way we dream of looking at space flight while dumpster diving scrounging for new junk, we mean parts, somehow resulted in the engineering of internal fuel tanks for old rockets in our new airplanes.  Anyway, we need your help.

We want you to test our fuel tanks and engines somewhere in the Kerbol system.

Objectives:

To perform the test, build a new ship, and activate any of our engines while attached to any of our fuel tanks.

I'm not sure if this is a "mod," per se.  What it is is the culmination of several months of work designing internal fuel cells that would fit within the models of the stock fuel tanks.  I added three well-known fuels to the stock tanks:  HydroLox, KeroLox, and MMH/NTO.  Jet-A1 has also been added to the Mk0, Mk1, Mk2 Fuselages, as well as the Swept Wing, the Airliner Wing, and the Airliner's stabilizer.  In keeping with what I felt was good standard, all liquid engines have had their masses reduced dramatically to bring thrust-to-weight ratios back to reasonable terms, with the Ant being the lowest at 10:1, and the Rhino being the workhorse at 100:1.  Aircraft cockpits have had their masses reduced (and also their crash tolerances) to bring their CG moments back to realistic terms.  Reaction wheels were removed, and anything Monopropellant has been converted to MMH/NTO.  A complete changelog is included in the archive.

Available on Curse:  https://mods.curse.com/ksp-mods/kerbal/248280-justin-kermans-tank-engine-salvage

Change Log

V0.1.2  Rewritten for ModuleManager, much cleaner

V0.1.1 Fixed Mk1 lander can not appearing

V0.1.0 Initial alpha release, very messy

Edited by Verran
Update

That's quite the project, very cool! I don't know if it's trollish of you, considering the (local) popularity of RSS/RO(RP-0) around here. In fact, those folks might be quite interested in your work as well.

I can guess at the answer due to their haphazardness, but have you noticed any trends or patterns in the tank volumes/sizes? Are there any small adjustments that might bring sanity to the madness? (What an odd idea in this game! :wink: )

But yes, two thumbs up, neat project!

Several additions to the album.  All the fuel tanks are done.  The engines are done (I think.)

All of this is preliminary:

Spoiler

1.       Aero

a.       Swept Wing

i.      Added Jet A-1 Resource

1.       475.476 Liters

ii.      Added Cost of Jet A-1 to Part Cost

1.       Part Cost:  $620

2.       Jet Fuel:  $252.00

3.       Total:  $872.00

b.      Airliner Wing

1.       7055.028 Liters

1.       Part Cost:  $2800

2.       Jet Fuel:  $3739.17

3.       Total:  $6539.17

c.       Airliner Stabilizer

1.       917.676 Liters

1.       Part Cost:  $1000

2.       Jet Fuel:  $486.37

3.       Total:  $1486.37

2.       Command

a.       Cupola

i.      Removed Reaction Wheels

ii.      Removed Monopropellant Resource

iii.      Added MechJeb Core

iv.      Allowed Storage of Repeated Subjects

b.      External Command Seat

i.      Added MechJeb Core

c.       Hitchhiker Storage Container

i.      Allowed Storage of Repeated Subjects

d.      Mk. 1-2 Command Pod

i.      Removed Reaction wheels

iii.      Added Hydrazine Resource

1.       30.0 Liters

iv.      Added Cost of Hydrazine to Part Cost

v.      Added MechJeb Core

vi.      Allowed Storage of Repeated Subjects

e.      Mk. 1 Cockpit

i.      Reduced Mass to 500 kg

ii.      Reduced Crash Tolerance to 5 m/s

iii.      Removed Reaction Wheels

iv.      Removed Monopropellant Resource

vi.      Allowed Storage or Repeated Subjects

f.        Mk. 1 Inline Cockpit

i.      Reduced Mass to 500 kg

ii.      Removed Reaction Wheels

iii.      Removed Monopropellant Resource

iv.      Added MechJeb Core

v.      Allowed Storage or Repeated Subjects

g.       Mk. 1 Lander Can

1.       15.0 Liters

h.      Mk. 1 Command Pod

1.       10.0 Liters

v.      Added MechJeb core

i.         Mk. 2 Inline Cockpit

i.      Reduced Mass to 750 kg

ii.      Crash Tolerance Reduced to 10 m/s

j.        Mk. 2 Cockpit

i.      Reduced Mass to 750 kg

ii.      Crash Tolerance Reduced to 10 m/s

k.       Mk. 2 Drone Core

ii.      Added MechJeb Core

l.         Mk. 2 Lander Can

1.       40 Liters

v.      Added MechJeb core

m.    Mk. 3 Cockpit

iii.      Added MechJeb Core

iv.      Allowed Storage of Repeated Subjects

n.      All Probe Cores

ii.      Added MechJeb Core

3.       Control

a.       Linear RCS and RCS Blocks

i.      Thrust reduced to 111 N (AeroJet R-1E)

ii.      Now consumes MMH/NTO

iii.      Specific Impulse increased to 280

b.      Vernor Engine

i.      Thrust reduced to 3.87 kN (AeroJet R-40)

ii.      Now consumes MMH/NTO

iii.      Specific Impulse increased from 260 to 281

4.       Engines

a.       All Engines:

i.      resourceFlowMode changed to STAGE_STACK_FLOW_BALANCE

ii.      This prevents large CG fluctuations as fuel is drained from the tank above the engine.

b.      Ant/Spider

i.      Mass changed to 20.408 Kg

1.       TWR:  10.0

ii.      Now consumes KeroLox

iii.      Min throttle set to 80%

c.       Twitch

i.      Mass changed to 81.633 Kg

1.       TWR:  20.0

iii.      Min throttle set to 80%

d.      Spark

i.      Mass changed to 88.301 Kg

e.      Puff

i.      Mass changed to 94.726 Kg

ii.      Now consumes Monomethyl Hydrazine and Nitrogen Tetroxide

f.        Terrier

i.      Mass changed to 197.039 Kg

g.       Thud

i.      Mass changed to 312.779 Kg

h.      Dart

i.      Mass changed to 409.857 Kg

ii.      Now consumes HydroLox

iii.      Changed ISP to 360/450

iv.      Min Throttle set to 70%

1.       Plan your burn!

i.         Swivel

i.      Mass changed to 439.681 Kg

iii.      Min Throttle set to 70%

1.       Plan your burn!

j.        Reliant

i.      Mass changed to 461.399 Kg

iii.      Min throttle set to 70%

iv.      Added 3° Thrust Vectoring Capability

k.       Poodle

i.      Mass changed to 510.204 Kg

l.         Skipper

i.      Mass changed to 964.701 Kg

1.       TWR:  68.753

m.    Vector

i.      Mass changed to 1285.634 Kg

1.       TWR:  79.370

ii.      Now consumes HydroLox

iii.      Changed ISP to 363/453

iv.      Min Throttle set to 65%

n.      Mainsail

i.      Mass changed to 1684.657 Kg

1.       TWR:  90.856

o.      Rhino

i.      Mass changed to 2040.816 Kg

1.       TWR:  100

p.      Flea

i.      Removed SolidFuel Fuel Requirement

ii.      Removed SolidFuel Resource

iii.      Added APCP Fuel Requirement

iv.      Added APCP Resource

1.       930.161 Liters

v.      Added price of fuel

1.       $618.58

vi.      Added Gimbal Module

1.       1.25°

q.      Hammer

1.       1869.622 Liters

v.      Added Cost of APCP to Part Cost

1.       $1241.33

1.       1.25°

r.        Thumper

1.       5420.342 Liters

1.       $3289.16

1.       2.5°

s.       Kickback

1.       11043.099 Liters

1.       $7669.40

1.       5.0

5.       Fuel Tanks

a.       FLT-100

i.      Added KeroLox Variant

1.       248.270 Liters RP-1:  $86.89

2.       96.980 Liters LO2:  $24.25

3.       Part:  $50.00

4.       Total:  $230.55

ii.      Added HydroLox Variant

1.       289.532 Liters LH2:  $101.34

2.       71.338 Liters LO2:  $17.83

4.       $193.89

iii.      Added Monomethyl Hydrazine Variant

1.       239.057 Liters MMH:  $325.12

2.       110.678 Liters NTO:  $87.44

4.       $487.27

b.      FLT-200

i.      Added KeroLox Variant

1.       506.756 Liters RP-1:  $268.58

2.       197.953 Liters LO2:  $49.49

3.       Part:  $100.00

4.       Total:  $423.51

ii.      Added HydroLox Variant

1.       582.046 Liters LH2:  $203.72

2.       143.410 Liters LO2:  $35.85

4.       Total:  $345.01

iii.      Added Monomethyl Hydrazine Variant

1.       491.837 Liters MMH:  $688.90

2.       227.713 Liters NTO:  $179.89

4.       $954.23

c.       FLT-400

i.      Added HydroLox Tank

1.       1082.397 Liters LH2:  $378.84

2.       266.700 Liters LO2:  $66.68

3.       Part:  $200.00

4.       Total:  $623.89

ii.      Added KeroLox Tank

1.       948.964 Liters RP-1:  $502.95

2.       370.692 Liters LO2:  $92.67

4.       Total:  $774.00

iii.      Added Monomethyl Hydrazine Tank

1.       924.333 Liters MMH:  $1257.09

2.       427.915 Liters NTO:  $338.05

4.       Total:  $1795.15

d.      FLT-800

1.       2616.448 Liters LH2:  $915.76

2.       644.678 Liters LO2:  161.17

3.       Part:  $400.00

4.       Total:  $1476.93

1.       2345.05 Liters RP-1:  $1242.88

2.       915.986 Liters LO2:  $229.00

4.       Total:  $1871.87

iii.      Added Hydrazine Tank

1.       2229.064 Liters MMH:  $3031.53

2.       1031.954 Liters NTO:  $815.24

4.       Total:  $4246.77

e.      1.25m to 2.50m Adapters

i.      Added HydroLox Tanks

1.       1564.863 Liters LH2:  $547.70

2.       385.594 Liters LO2:  $96.40

3.       Part:  $300

4.       Total:  $944.10

ii.      Added KeroLox Tanks

1.       1299.231 Liters RP-1:  $688.59

2.       507.517 Liters LO2:  $126.88

4.       Total:  $1115.47

iii.      Added Hydrazine Tanks

1.       1207.869 Liters MMH:  $1642.70

2.       559.221 Liters NTO:  $441.78

4.       Total:  $2384.49

f.        X200-8

1.       2096.039 Liters LH2:  $733.61

2.       516.430 Liters LO2:  $129.11

4.       Total:  $1262.72

1.       1781.97 Liters RP-1:  $944.44

2.       696.069 Liters LO2:  $174.02

4.       Total:  $1518.46

1.       1706.265 Liters MMH:  $2320.52

2.       789.962 Liters NTO:  $624.07

3.       Part:  $400

4.       Total:  $3344.59

g.       X200-16

i.      Added Hydrolox Tank

1.       4720.946 Liters LH2:  $1652.33

2.       1163.201 Liters LO2:  $290.80

3.       Part:  $800

4.       Total:  $2743.13

1.       4104.330 Liters RP-1:  $2175.29

2.       1603.241 Liters LO2:  $400.81

4.       Total:  $3376.11

1.       3974.825 Liters MMH:  $5405.76

2.       1840.249 Liters NTO:  $1453.80

4.       Total:  $7659.56

h.      X200-32

1.       10021.482 Liters LH2:  $3506.52

2.       2469.226 Liters LO2:  $617.31

3.       Part:  $1600

4.       Total:  $5724.83

1.       8794.055 Liters RP-1:  $4660.85

2.       3434.077 Liters LO2:  $858.52

4.       Total:  $7119.37

1.       8556.182 Liters MMH:  $11636.41

2.       3961.122 Liters NTO:  $3129.29

4.       Total:  $16365.69

i.         X200-64

1.       23681.453 Liters LH2:  $8288.51

2.       5835.274 Liters LO2:  $1458.82

3.       Part:  $3200

4.       Total:  $12947.33

1.       21225.561 Liters RP-1:  $11249.55

2.       8290.764 Liters LO2:  $2072.69

4.       Total:  $16522.24

1.       20175.679 Liters MMH:  $27438.92

2.       9340.014 Liters NTO:  $7378.61

4.       Total:  $38017.53

j.        S3-3600

i.      Added Hydrolox Tank

1.       9177.602 Liters LH2:  $3212.16

2.       2261.269 Liters LO2:  $565.32

3.       Part:  $1500

4.       Total:  $5277.48

1.       7861.908 Liters RP-1:  $4166.81

2.       3071.049 Liters LO2:  $767.76

4.       Total:  $6434.57

1.       7557.482 Liters MMH:  $10278.18

2.       3498.877 Liters NTO  $2764.11

4.       Total:  $14542.29

k.       S3-7200

1.       21798.859 Liters LH2:  $7629.60

2.       5371.09 Liters LO2:  $1342.77

3.       Part:  $3000

4.       Total:  $11972.37

1.       19027.466 Liters RP-1:  $10084.56

2.       7432.768 Liters LO2:  $1858.19

4.       Total:  $14942.75

1.       18465.937 Liters MMH:  $25113.67

2.       8548.897 Liters NTO:  $6753.63

4.       Total:  $34867.30

l.         S3-14400

i.      Extended visual model and collider model by 0.1443 meters to accommodate the “advanced” tank configuration.

ii.      Added HydroLox Tank

1.       50587.655 Liters LH2:  $17705.68

2.       12465.229 Liters LO2:  $3116.31

3.       Part:  $6000

4.       Total:  $26821.99

iii.      Added KeroLox Tank

1.       45342.662 Liters RP-1:  $24031.61

2.       17710.523 Liters LO2:  $4427.63

4.       Total:  $34459.24

iv.      Added Hydrazine Tank

1.       43099.395 Liters MMH:  $58615.18

2.       19952.284 Liters NTO:  $15762.30

4.       Total:  $80377.48

m.    Mk0 Fuselage

i.      Added Jet-A Tank

1.       167.706 Liters Jet-A:  $88.88

2.       Part:  $25

3.       Total:  $113.88

4.       Empty by Default

n.      Mk1 Fuselage

i.      Added Jet-A Tank

1.       1615.424 Liters Jet-A:  $856.17

2.       Part:  $100

3.       Total:  $956.17

o.      Mk1 – Mk2 Adapter

1.       1082.397 Liters LH2:  $378.84

2.       266.700 Liters LO2:  $66.68

4.       Total:  $745.51

ii.      Added Jet-A Tank

1.       1615.424 Liters Jet-A:  $856.17

2.       Part:  $300

3.       Total:  $1156.17

1.       948.964 Liters RP-1:  $502.95

2.       370.692 Liters LO2:  $92.67

4.       Total:  $895.62

1.       924.333 Liters MMH:  $1257.09

2.       427.915 Liters NTO:  $338.05

4.       Total:  $1895.15

p.      Mk1 – Mk2 Long Adapter

1.       2616.448 Liters LH2:  $915.76

2.       644.678 Liters LO2:  $161.17

3.       Part:  $750

4.       Total:  $1826.93

1.       3478.902 Liters Jet-A:  $1843.82

2.       Part:  $750

3.       Total:  $2593.82

1.       2345.050 Liters RP-1:  $1242.88

2.       915.986 Liters LO2:  $229.00

4.       Total:  $2221.87

1.       2229.064 Liters MMH:  $3031.53

2.       1031.954 Liters NTO:  $815.24

4.       Total:  $4596.77

q.      Mk2 Short Fuel Tank

1.       2258.562 Liters LH2:  $790.50

2.       556.509 Liters LO2:  $139.13

3.       Part:  $500

4.       Total:  $1429.62

1.       2258.568 Liters Jet-A:  $1197.04

2.       Part:  $500

3.       Total:  $1697.04

1.       1737.898 Liters RP-1:  $921.09

2.       678.811 Liters LO2:  $169.70

4.       Total:  $1590.79

1.       1610.035 Liters MMH:  $2189.65

2.       745.366 Liters NTO:  $588.84

4.       Total:  $3278.49

r.        Mk2 Long Fuel Tank

1.       5042.329 Liters LH2:  $1764.82

2.       1242.413 Liters LO2:  $310.60

3.       Part:  $1000

4.       Total:  $3075.42

1.       5042.329 Liters Jet-A:  $2672.43

2.       Part:  $1000

3.       Total:  $3672.43

1.       3838.109 Liters RP-1:  $2034.20

2.       1499.271 Liters LO2:  $374.82

4.       Total:  $3409.02

1.       3545.991 Liters MMH:  $4822.55

2.       1641.654 Liters NTO:  $1296.91

4.       Total:  $7119.45

s.       Mk2 Bicoupler

1.       507.363 Liters LH2:  $177.58

2.       125.012 Liters LO2:  $31.25

4.       Total:  $708.83

1.       653.047 Liters Jet-A:  $346.11

2.       Part:  $500

3.       Total:  $846.11

1.       440.739 Liters RP-1:  $233.59

2.       172.166 Liters LO2:  $43.04

4.       Total:  $776.63

1.       427.338 Liters MMH:  $581.18

2.       197.839 Liters NTO:  $156.29

4.       Total:  $1237.47

t.        Mk2 – 2.50m Adapter

1.       4903.136 Liters LH2:  $1716.10

2.       1208.089 Liters LO2:  $302.02

4.       Total:  $3518.12

1.       3733.128 Liters RP-1:  $1978.56

2.       1458.225 Liters LO2:  $364.56

4.       Total:  $3843.11

1.       3449.223 Liters MMH:  $4690.94

2.       1596.858 Liters NTO:  $1261.52

4.       Total:  $7452.46

u.      Mk2 – Mk3 Adapter

1.       11489.297 Liters LH2:  $4021.25

2.       2830.875 Liters LO2:  $707.72

3.       Part:  $2000

4.       Total:  $6728.97

1.       8177.851 Liters RP-1:  $4334.26

2.       3194.429 Liters LO2:  $798.61

4.       Total:  $7132.87

1.       8177.851 Liters MMH:  $11121.88

2.       3786.072 Liters NTO:  $2991.00

4.       Total:  $16112.87

v.       Mk3 – 2.50m Adapter

1.       9177.176 Liters LH2:  $3212.01

2.       2261.155 Liters LO2:  $565.29

4.       Total:  $5777.30

1.       8046.856 Liters LH2:  $4264.83

2.       3143.328 Liters LO2:  $785.83

4.       Total:  $7050.67

1.       7825.940 Liters MMH:  $10643.28

2.       3623.258 Liters NTO:  $2862.37

4.       Total:  $15505.65

w.     Mk3 – 3.75m Adapter

1.       6471.527 Liters LH2:  $2265.03

2.       1594.548 Liters LO2:  $398.64

4.       Total:  $4663.67

1.       5560.938 Liters RP-1:  $2947.30

2.       2172.210 Liters LO2:  $543.05

4.       Total:  $5490.35

1.       5353.987 Liters MMH:  $7281.42

2.       2478.670 Liters NTO:  $1958.15

4.       Total:  $11239.57

x.       Mk3 Short Fuselage

1.       10603.281 Liters LH2:  $3711.15

2.       2612.564 Liters LO2:  $653.14

4.       Total:  $5864.29

1.       9215.914 Liters RP-1:  $4884.43

2.       3600.100 Liters LO2:  $900.03

4.       Total:  $7284.46

1.       8924.651 Liters MMH:  $12137.53

2.       4131.750 Liters NTO:  $3264.08

4.       Total:  $16901.61

y.       Mk3 Medium Fuselage

1.       22828.277 Liters LH2:  $7989.90

2.       5624.605 Liters LO2:  $1406.15

4.       Total:  $12396.05

1.       20030.920 Liters RP-1:  $10616.39

2.       7824.728 Liters LO2:  $1956.18

4.       Total:  $15572.57

1.       19489.98 Liters MMH:  $26506.37

2.       9022.991 Liters NTO:  $7128.16

4.       Total:  $36634.54

z.       Mk3 Long Fuselage

1.       54344.827 Liters LH2:  $19020.69

2.       13390.732 Liters LO2:  $3347.68

4.       Total:  $28368.37

1.       48709.294 Liters RP-1:  $25815.93

2.       19025.962 Liters LO2:  $4756.49

4.       Total:  $36572.42

1.       46299.954 Liters MMH:  $62967.94

2.       21434.797 Liters NTO:  $16933.49

4.       Total:  $85901.43

5.       If you really need this much Hydrazine…

aa.   Stratus-V Radial Tank

i.      Added Hydrazine Tank

1.       65.425 Liters MMH:  $88.98

2.       Part  $25

3.       Total:  $113.98

ii.      Added Nitrogen Tetroxide Tank

1.       65.425 Liters NTO:  $51.69

2.       Part:  $25

3.       Total:  $76.69

bb.  Stratus-V Long Radial Tank

i.      Added Hydrazine Tank

1.       251.767 Liters MMH:  $342.40

2.       Part:  $50

3.       Total:  $392.40

ii.      Added Nitrogen Tetroxide Tank

1.       251.767 Liters NTO:  $198.90

2.       Part:  $50

3.       Total:  $248.90

cc.    Round-8 Toroidal Tank

i.      Volume:  133.719 Liters

ii.      Part:  $150

iii.      Added Kerosene Tank ($70.87,)

iv.      Added Hydrogen Tank ($46.80,)

v.      Added Oxygen Tank (33.43,)

vi.      Added MMH Tank ($181.86,) and

vii.      Added NTO Tank ($105.64.)

dd.  Oscar B Tank

i.      Nope.  By popular demand only.

6.       Resources

a.       Small Resource Tank

i.      Capacity increased to 1533.761 Liters

b.      Large Resource Tank

i.      Capacity increased to 5914.695 Liters

c.       Radial Resource Tank

i.      Capacity increased to 171.447 Liters

That didn't paste very well from Word...

I should probably start thinking about a name for this pack.  Any ideas?

Edited by Verran

On 27/07/2016 at 6:36 PM, Verran said:

Did you guys even know you needed this part?  The Mk.3 Wing Box.

https://goo.gl/photos/JZHGHEBKxrH7x8kr8

Actually, I might shove a fuel tank in there, too.   O_o

Yeah, looks like something I tried with B9 HL years ago & didn't really like in the end ( spaceplanes do like having mid wings ). Hopefully yours will be more use than mine was! ( I also stumbled over the source to this recently too https://imgur.com/a/tRfEf ).

@OP - you may want to check out AJE at least, it's not RF dependent.

Actually, I'm having a spot of trouble with it.  I got it into Unity, and I exported the textured .mu, but KSP doesn't like it; and of course it's not telling me why.  All of the tutorials and guides are outdated; what are some common culprits?

Sorry, I realize how vague that was.  It shows up in the database, but not the game itself.  I was hoping for a Log entry, but there's no mention of it.

Does KSP require an "inflatable balloon" mesh?

Edited by Verran

Something's wrong with the model, but neither 3Ds, Unity, KSP, or Blender will tell me what.  KSP makes no mention of the model in its log file.  Very disappointing.

Edit:  Nevermind, it's in.  It didn't like me reusing the Mk3 fuselage textures.

Edited by Verran

Kind of stuck between a rock and a hard spot here.  I'm having to choose between effects working properly, or having minimum thrust settings on the newer engines.  The way the effects are written on the Vector and the Rhino cut all sound and visuals when the throttle is set at 0%, even if the engines are activated and running at their minimum thrust levels.  Has to do with the effects tables.  Attempted to adjust these so that 0.0 throttle would run the effects at 65%, but then the running sound plays even when the engine's off, and the visuals don't cue anyway.

• 6 months later...

I've updated this for ModuleManager.

I'm beginning work on an integrated tech tree tweak that will put aviation tech ahead of rockets.  Below is my current thought process.  I'm beginning to populate the nodes with parts.  Thoughts?

3xgysMx.png

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.