I have a really cool idea for KSP-like game!

SlabGizor117

So I was thinking about KSP and I like all the orbital mechanics and stuff, but I think it'd be really cool to basically make another game out of the whole resource mining thing, and expand on that.  You have the exact same craft building system but it's built more around the idea of futuristic space travel, where you would use more VTOL style flight to take off, retract landing legs, and then fly quickly and seamlessly into space.  I don't know how you could deal with the orbital mechanics system to make things less tedious, but I'm picturing basically taking off the launch pad and being in orbit in maybe 20 seconds.  I'm tempted to say that orbital mechanics would be almost done away with, to save time for going to other planets and traveling around Kerbin(or other planet if made different).  But what I imagine is where for career mode you have like, X cargo to deliver from KSC to Kerbin north pole, or something.  Then you build a freighter and load it up with premade cargo containers, and the cargo you take is taken from a stockpile of resources you have.  So you fill orders and make money to buy resources and then start mining your own resources and expand to other planets, etc.  But the whole orbital mechanics thing just kinda slows things down and makes them tedious.  It should take 15-20 seconds to get into space, not 5 minutes, for this type of game.  The only problem there is how you get to other planets.  Do you just "point and shoot"?  The idea that the planets are moving is too big of a fact to ignore for convenience and time, so I dunno.

But that's my basic idea, is just a trading/infrastructure type game that you have a career in but keep the sandbox aspect of building your own fleet of ships and stuff.

By the way, I don't know if this is the right place for a topic like this, I felt that the suggestions section still didn't fit with this kind of idea.

Let me know what you think, I'd like to bounce some ideas around with other people, too!

Edited by SlabGizor117

Sounds like you want something like Freespace, but with orbital mechanics.

I'm not sure how you'd get into orbit without timewarp, with a realistic profile, and in less than thirty seconds. If you don't want time-limitations, you'd have something along the lines of mechjeb doing the piloting for you, and you can get 'point and shoot' transits with unlimited dV... but at that point the only thing you're really keeping of orbital mechanics are the moving planets.

FREESPACE!!! YES!! I love Freespace!  As far as space travel mechanics go, yes it would basically be like freespace, but you would build your own ships and do trading and mining and stuff.  I'm thinking that as soon as you go from ground to space it'll just kinda magically put you into an orbit in whatever plane you were pointed in to start with, kinda like this:   

It wouldn't really be anything more than a cinematic thing I think, to see Kerbin moving under you, because I want the Star Wars style physics for ships.  Speaking of which, it should also allow you to make big cruiser style ships.  Like you said, the only thing hard about point and shoot would be the motion of the planets, but I think you may be able to make the gameplay just that - in the map, select a planet and it'll give you a marker to point at to rendezvous with the planet in about 30 seconds, no year long time warp.

As for Jimmidii, I actually haven't heard of Empyrion, but yeah the gameplay would be much like Space Engineers.  

Edited by SlabGizor117

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.