[1.4.x] VesselMover Continued - v1.7.3 (May 14, 2018) - Crew Selection!

Papa_Joe

VesselMover Continued v1.7.3 

Pick up, move, rotate, place, or drop landed vessels quickly and easily.

for%20KSP-v1.1-bad455.svg license-MIT-green.svg CKAN-Indexed-brightgreen.svg KSP AVC-supported-brightgreen.svg SpaceDock-listed-blue.svg

NOTE:  Since BahamutoD is now busy with real life and has graciously made it known that we can continue support in his stead, I'm reviving the mod in this thread and will continue its support.  

The original VesselMover thread is here:  BahamutoD's Original VesselMover Thread

Download Locations:

Download from GitHub | Download from SpaceDock

Installation:

Extract the folder called "VesselMover" to KSP's GameData folder.

For installation convenience, VesselMover is now CKAN listed, and supports KSP-AVC.

• KSP-AVC. This mod checks your installed mod versions against the mod's latest version. Let's you know when you need to update.
  • CKAN. The Comprehensive Kerbal Archive Network (CKAN) Package Manager (CKAN) is a multi-platform app that manages nearly all your mods from one clean executable. Performs installs, updates, and uninstalls of your mods automatically.

NOTE TO CKAN USERS:  don't expect support for installs via CKAN. if the CKAN install fails, contact the CKAN folks, NOT me.

Usage:

Use the toolbar menu buttons to pick up, place, or drop a vessel. It must be landed or splashed down in order to pick it up.

Use Tab key to change Movement Mode. This changes the base altitude and movement speeds
For long distances, it works well to use "Ludicrous speed" in map mode!

New!* Use the Throttle Up and Down (Shift and Control by default) to raise and lower the Altitude

New!* Use Throttle Cuttoff (X by default) to Reset the Movement Mode Altitude if changes have been made.

Use pitch/yaw (WASD by default) to move around.

Use roll (Q/E by default) to roll, and translation buttons (IJKL by default) to rotate pitch and yaw.

Use translate fwd/back (H or N by default) to auto rotate planes and rockets respectively to level/upright.

Click spawn vessel to open the craft browser.  Select a craft, then select a place to spawn it.  
It will spawn in vessel-move mode so you can reposition it or rotate it before placing it down or dropping it (free fall baby!).

Support:

If you expect me to provide support for issues with this mod, I will expect that you have read and will follow these instructions.

Spoiler

Be a :cool:COOL :cool:PERSON and help me by raising bugs and feature requests on GitHub here.

For support please ensure you are following these instructions.
From now on I will NOT respond to requests for support if you have not at least attempted to follow these simple steps.

NO LOG = NO SUPPORT.

When I ask for a LOG I mean this LOG:

1. The Logs
    These are text files that the game spits out for debugging purposes as it runs; if something broke horribly in-game, there will be something in here about it. You should upload the entire log as a file (i.e. not to pastebin); you can use dropbox or an equivalent host to upload the file. Make sure the entire file gets uploaded; you may have to zip it first, as logs can be very long. Here is where you can find the log:
    • Windows: KSP_win\KSP_Data\output_log.txt (32bit) or KSP_win64\KSP_x64_Data\output_log.txt (64bit)
    • Mac OS X: Open Console, on the left side of the window there is a menu that says 'files'. Scroll down the list and find the Unity drop down, under Unity there will be Player.log ( Files>~/Library/Logs>Unity>Player.log )
    • Linux: ~/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal\ Space\ Program/Player.log

While I agree CKAN is a great mod for those that choose an easy method to manage their mods, I take no part, nor am I interested in maintaining CKAN mod metadata for my mods.  Please don't ask me about it but refer to the CKAN mod thread if you are having issues with CKAN or the metadata it maintains.

Video Demonstration:

Change Log:

Spoiler

v1.7.3
 - Add Crew selection screen to spawn feature.  You can now (optionally) select one crewmember from a list of available crew. Git Issue #17
 - Fixed Tab key movement mode changes to prevent positioning craft underground. Git Issue #29  
 - Clean up tool tips to display above window and not beyond edge of screen.
 - Improved control of altitude during movement mode changes. Now when changing altitudes, changes to movement mode will not alter current altitude.  
 - Added new Movement Mode altitude reset key Throttle Cuttoff (Default is X) to allow for flexible altitude positioning.
 - Revised help and readme to reflect changes to hot keys.

v1.7.2.2
 - Recompiled for KSP 1.4.3  Works in 1.4.x
 - Fined tuned altitude adjustment for better behavior at low speed modes.

v1.7.2.1
 - Altered altitude adjustment to account for speed modes.  Height changes now vary with the mode.
 - Fixed:  Choose Crew toggle not implemented yet.  Changed to hidden for now.

v1.7.2
 - Add altitude adjust keys to help window.
 - Add drop feature to Vessel Move.  Git Issue #3  Click Drop to allow vessel to free fall.

v1.7.1
 - Add ability to move Vessel Mover main window. Git Issues #13 and #42
 - Correct issue with Vessel Selection where the wrong game save folder is used.  Git Issue #31
 - Make Window display honor show/hide UI display in flight.  Git issue #44

v1.7
- 1.4 recompile and upgraded to latest Unity
- Updated AppLaungher toolbar button to support new Unity Compression.  Increased icon size to 128 x 128

v1.5.1.4
- 1.2.2 recompile
- closing issue #21 - vessel dropping below current altitude during move

v1.5.1.3
- 1.2.1 recompile
- adding ignore gforces call on move to stabalize vessels while moving
- Throttle up/down will now add/decrease altitude on move
- Fixed: issue of vessel spawn in 1.2 would ignore water detection and spawn vessel on ocean floor

v1.5.1.2beta
- Updated to be compatible with KSP 1.2pr.  This is prerelease software.  not for official distribution.

v1.5.1.1
- Fixed Git Issue #1 Vessels taking fall damage when placed.  Added new vessel movement mode that allows Fine control and low altitude (5 meters) placement.  Should eliminate fall damage.

v1.5.1
- KSP 1.1.3 compatibility
- Fixed: Bug in Spawn Vessel where kerbal created was type Unowned.  would get lost and would disappear.  Changed to Type Crew.

v1.5
- KSP 1.1 compatibility

v1.4
- Toolbar menu
- Disabled alt-p hotkey (please use toolbar UI)
- Vessel spawner (experimental)

v1.3
- Prevent pickup when vessel is packed (causes vessel to drop when released)

v1.2
- Added functions to auto-level planes and rockets (Translate fwd/back keys, H and N default)
- Launch clamps will automatically release when you attempt to pick up a craft that is clamped
- Fixed controls inverting when looking straight down
- Tweaked surface detection radius

v1.1
- Added change log
- Added slow and ludicrous speed modes (press tab to toggle)
- Added other rotational axes (QE is now roll, IK is pitch JL is yaw)
- Changed input bindings to use your settings for attitude and translation control to support non-QWERTY keyboards
- Changed controls to follow cardinal directions when in map mode
- Fixed surface relative rotation
- Fixed and improved vessel size calculations
- Vessel size calculations update when vessel is rotated
- Smoother pick-up action
- Faster yet more gentle put-down action

v1.0
- Release

License: MIT

Source: https://github.com/PapaJoesSoup/VesselMover

Edited by Papa_Joe
New Version for KSP 1.4.x Crew Selection and Altitude improvements

3 minutes ago, Deimos Rast said:

sweet!

Totally not related to my bug report, yeah?

FYI:

@Papa_Joe

the BahamutoD version you linked doesn't work with 1.1.3, you need the Spanner version linked here.

Probably should have mentioned that yesterday.:blush:

:)

Hey, I saw a need and filled it...   thanks for the link.  I will get the updated source and incorporate those changes.  also address the existing bugs reported in the original Git Repo. If anyone else has issues, please post them here or to the new repo location show in the source code location of the OP.

Hi, great that you've taken up ,maintenance of VM, I would have except i'm pretty much C# illiterate.  I have a request as I have been unable to make it happen for myself, would it be possible to add an even lower placement option? This would help make launching large ships a bit less stressful , as i say i took a swing at it but failed to get the results i wanted, i've a feeling I got everything right except the added gui stuff. Anyway thanks for taking on this very popular and much needed mod.

Cheers

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

27 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi, great that you've taken up ,maintenance of VM, I would have except i'm pretty much C# illiterate.  I have a request as I have been unable to make it happen for myself, would it be possible to add an even lower placement option? This would help make launching large ships a bit less stressful , as i say i took a swing at it but failed to get the results i wanted, i've a feeling I got everything right except the added gui stuff. Anyway thanks for taking on this very popular and much needed mod.

Cheers

thanks for your work on getting this mod 1.1.3 compatible. I'll be incorpirating your changes.  Cudos to you!

I will be happy to look at your request and see if I can make it happen!

Edited by Papa_Joe

New version:

v1.5.1
- Fixed: Bug in Spawn Vessel where kerbal created was type Unowned.  would get lost and would disappear.  Changed to Type Crew.

Now available at GitHub and SpaceDock.

Okay, maybe I spoke too soon... I see no button on my copy in test.   I wonder what I broke.... well, at least the infrastructure for release is in place.... testing now... will release a point update soon. :P

Edit:  nevermind.  everything is working fine.  Operator error! :D

Edited by Papa_Joe

The Github link works but the SpaceDock link gives me an "Unauthorized" though it does point to a SpaceDock page (maybe forgot to press the "publish" button?).

Thanks again for maintaining this.

7 minutes ago, wasml said:

The Github link works but the SpaceDock link gives me an "Unauthorized" though it does point to a SpaceDock page (maybe forgot to press the "publish" button?).

Thanks again for maintaining this.

Yes.  It would help if I actually published it... :)  Done.

6 hours ago, Papa_Joe said:

New version:

v1.5.1

Question: Does this effectively allow me to "print" Kerbals now (spawn new ones at will)? As in, if they don't disappear after recovering spawned vessels, I'll be getting something for nothing. I don't have any real issue with this, but I can foresee problems if you're spawning a lot of vessels. And I know you'll probably get grief from some types for it, if that's the case.:rolleyes:

Eitherway, thanks again for picking this one up.

That is exactly what it does. That may have been why it was setting the kerbals to Unowned... but people were getting grief with that too...   And I was waiting to see who might ask about it.  I want to add a switch setting for that, and I want to be able to limit it to existing kerbals if you wish.  But, given I've heard that the typical use is for experimentation, I don't suppose it is an issue.  I really don't expect folks to be using a mod like this in a realism point of view. I could be wrong tho, who knows?

You know me, I'll tweak it as people come up with new uses for it.. :), 

I was also looking into being able to change the altitude like you can change position.

Edited by Papa_Joe

@Papa_Joe Thanks for continue improving this mod! I've a feature for you to implement if you have time :)

PROBLEM: One thing that I don't like is that when I try to spawn a vessel from water,  it takes the angle from the ocean ground inclination. This is annoying if you are spawing jets on an aircraft carrier for example :) . I have to manually set it to 0º.

SOLUTION: It would be nice if we can have an option/flag/config to spawn vesselts to fixed angle regardless of the ground inclination.

Regards!

Edited by jrodriguez

On 7/25/2016 at 4:19 AM, jrodriguez said:

@Papa_Joe Thanks for continue improving this mod! I've a feature for you to implement if you have time :)

PROBLEM: One thing that I don't like is that when I try to spawn a vessel from water,  it takes the angle from the ocean ground inclination. This is annoying if you are spawing jets on an aircraft carrier for example :) . I have to manually set it to 0º.

SOLUTION: It would be nice if we can have an option/flag/config to spawn vesselts to fixed angle regardless of the ground inclination.

Regards!

Maybe even better would be to detect water under the craft and set the angle to 0º.  I think that is doable as well...

Edited by Papa_Joe

@Papa_Joe I have other nice to have featue but maybe is too complicated...

I think it would be fantastic to spawn several vessels in one operation. Like some RTS games, you can select a vessel then do a drag&drop on the ground, then you can calculate the rectangle area of the vessel and begin to draw rectangles as the number of vessels that fit inside the imaginary rectangle between the starting of the drag&drop and the current mouse/vector hit position. Finally, the vessels be loaded and automatically placed in the ground (without switching to active)

What do you think?

Edited by jrodriguez

5 hours ago, jrodriguez said:

@Papa_Joe I have other nice to have featue but maybe is too complicated...

I think it would be fantastic to spawn several vessels in one operation. Like some RTS games, you can select a vessel then do a drag&drop on the ground, then you can calculate the rectangle area of the vessel and begin to draw rectangles as the number of vessels that fit inside the imaginary rectangle between the starting of the drag&drop and the current mouse/vector hit position. Finally, the vessels be loaded and automatically placed in the ground (without switching to active)

What do you think?

In, theory, it is possible, but to what end?  It would be complex to code.  but not impossible.  The real question is what benefit do you gain from this?  You cannot fly them all at once, and you have many copies of the same vessel.

It would be "cool", but I would need a compelling reason for going thru all that effort... :)

2 hours ago, Papa_Joe said:

In, theory, it is possible, but to what end?  It would be complex to code.  but not impossible.  The real question is what benefit do you gain from this?  You cannot fly them all at once, and you have many copies of the same vessel.

It would be "cool", but I would need a compelling reason for going thru all that effort... :)

I've playing and hosting some intense BDArmory challenges.  4 vs 4, 5 vs 5 battles. Because I was one the main top battle hosters I had to set up battles very often. So one day I had the idea " uhmm It would be great if I could spawn 6 vessels in one click..." :)

But I really understand that this a caprice to streamline a specific scenario, most users will not use this feature. 

technically BahaD also had an "All burn together" mod so if someone fixes that mod they could control a swarm. Also, Throttle Controlled Avionics has a swarm mode, which is up to date. I'd probably use it if it were there, assuming I could control them, but mainly for novelty. I can definitely see dog fighters using it a lot though (BDA might have its own spawn system though).

Just a note of interest.

For those of you that lost kerbals because of the "Unowned" setting in the past, fear not!  I just released a new version of Roster Manager that now allows you to recover those kerbals that disappeared.  check it out.  Still alpha but we are adding to it on a regular basis.  Now  1.1.3 compatible.  You can find the link in my signature.  and here if you cannot see my sig.

If you see kerbals on the list with a type of Unowned , you can change that in the Medical tab when you click on their name.

Edited by Papa_Joe

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.