[1.4.x] VesselMover Continued - v1.7.3 (May 14, 2018) - Crew Selection!

Papa_Joe

Just now, jrodriguez said:

Did you see that behavior on KSP stock planes? Or if you build a simple plane from scratch? 

It's fine with stock planes, yet it picks a few particular planes to mess around with. I've tried to see if it's because of part clipping, but it isn't as some of my planes have part clipped in them but spawn in perfectly.

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Agustin said:

try using TAB for changing mode (fine control, large distances moving) and then, ctrol and Shift to go up and down before you release the ship. with control you can place your ship very close to the ground before you place it so it is smoother....

How can i using TAB for craft when i can't spawn it...

• 1 month later...

Update after all this time to this thread :D

New release:

v1.7
- 1.4 recompile and upgraded to latest Unity
- Updated AppLaungher toolbar button to support new Unity Compression.  Increased icon size to 128 x 128

There has been a discussion on feature requests in the BDAc thread concerning Vessel Mover.  Just to bring everyone up to speed, I'm working on the following.

- Add ability to move Vessel Mover main window. Git Issues #13 and #42
 - Correct issue with Vessel Selection where the wrong game save folder is used.  Git Issue #31
 - Make Window display honor show hide display in flight.  Git issue #44

I first wanted to get a working version out there and @jrodriguez had performed the recompile.  So 1.7 is that release.

I expect to release another update (1.7.1) for these issues within a few hours.

Update out:

v1.7.1
 - Add ability to move Vessel Mover main window. Git Issues #13 and #42
 - Correct issue with Vessel Selection where the wrong game save folder is used.  Git Issue #31
 - Make Window display honor show/hide UI display in flight.  Git issue #44

On GitHub and SpaceDock.  Enjoy!

Edited by Papa_Joe
New Release

• 5 weeks later...

New Release:

v1.7.2

- Add altitude adjust keys to help window.
 - Add drop feature to Vessel Move. Git Issue #3 Click Drop to allow vessel to free fall.

Enjoy!  Working on Crew selection.  That will take a bit longer.  I can't leverage the KSP dialog, so I will have to "roll my own"...

New Release:

I left a partially implemented toggle in during development.  so I wanted to fix it, but i also included another small tweak.

v1.7.2.1
 - Altered altitude adjustment to account for speed modes.  Height changes now vary with the mode.
 - Fixed:  Choose Crew toggle not implemented yet.  Changed to hidden for now.

Now you can use the tab key to change the speed of height changes.

New release:

I noted very slow behavior in slow and fine speed modes for altitude adjustments.  So i fixed it for better response.

v1.7.2.2
 - Recompiled for KSP 1.4.3  Works in 1.4.x
 - Fined tuned altitude adjustment for better behavior at low speed modes.

This matters when trying to place a very large object in the water and drop it without it breaking up. 

Enjoy!

Edited by Papa_Joe

3 hours ago, ThiccRocketScientist said:

Whenever I spawn anything it just gets thrown below the surface and explodes instantly. I'm not sure if this is a problem with the mod, though it seems more likely to be caused by something else. Any ideas?

I will need more info to be able to help you.  I've tested this in a clean install and in a heavily modded install with no issues.  So, if you can provide more detail, a log file, and steps to reliably reproduce the error I will be able to help you.

On 4/26/2018 at 4:43 PM, Papa_Joe said:

Altered altitude adjustment to account for speed modes.  Height changes now vary with the mode.

So I'm still on v1.3.1 but seeing this was exciting because it's an annoying limitation I'm stuck with that I look forward to not having to deal with anymore when I upgrade. However I also just remembered that I filed this bug report a while ago and it's currently unsolved but was directly related to this feature. So is this issue also resolved now? I would expect it came up during testing...

Edited by Drew Kerman

On 4/27/2018 at 5:26 PM, Papa_Joe said:

I will need more info to be able to help you.  I've tested this in a clean install and in a heavily modded install with no issues.  So, if you can provide more detail, a log file, and steps to reliably reproduce the error I will be able to help you.

Basically the green circle appears, said vehicle is loaded, and then is thrown below the surface at exceedingly high speeds, and instantly is completely annihilated several kilometers below the surface. This happens more with one vehicle than others, and also, at certain points and I don't know why to either of them. Mods, log and some screenshots of the dilemma. Note this also usually happens with my tanks, not planes, which have many wheels and panels.

https://imgur.com/qLqxdLn

https://imgur.com/a/lINTFfq

Edited by ThiccRocketScientist

On 5/4/2018 at 1:00 PM, ThiccRocketScientist said:

Basically the green circle appears, said vehicle is loaded, and then is thrown below the surface at exceedingly high speeds, and instantly is completely annihilated several kilometers below the surface. This happens more with one vehicle than others, and also, at certain points and I don't know why to either of them. Mods, log and some screenshots of the dilemma. Note this also usually happens with my tanks, not planes, which have many wheels and panels.

https://imgur.com/qLqxdLn

https://imgur.com/a/lINTFfq
hmm... there have been reports of this in the past.  difficult to understand.  Question:  Is the root part not the crew pod?  Are you adding crew or spawning without crew?  These are the things I mean by steps to reproduce.
Note:  I appreciate the log, but posting it in clear text in your post is bad.  it causes the forum page to be difficult to load for many folks.  If you could be so kind as to remove the full text and provide a link that would be the preferred way to post a log.
You can try rerooting the vessel.  See if that makes a difference.  also let me know the steps to spawn that you used.  different code paths are used for different options, so it matters.

On 5/3/2018 at 5:32 PM, Drew Kerman said:

So I'm still on v1.3.1 but seeing this was exciting because it's an annoying limitation I'm stuck with that I look forward to not having to deal with anymore when I upgrade. However I also just remembered that I filed this bug report a while ago and it's currently unsolved but was directly related to this feature. So is this issue also resolved now? I would expect it came up during testing...

This has not yet been addressed.  I've reviewed the code and have determine that some changes to the Movement Mode switch while changing altitude settings are needed.  Originally, the ability to change altitude did not exist, so the mode changes were not affected by current altitude, since it was always at a preset value.  Now a means to ensure the altitude does not change is needed to allow for precise altitude positioning by the user.  Further a means to reset the mode switch so that it reverts to automatically placing the craft at a preset altitude.

So, I'm working on the following:
1.  If the Movement Mode (Tab key) is pressed when the user has not yet made any changes to the altitude, the mode switch will also alter the altitude to one of the preset settings.
2.  If the user changes the altitude, then the mode switch will not change the altitude.  This will allow you to precisely set your altitude quickly and easily.
3.  If the user wishes to reset the behavior to (1) above, then an additional Reset key can be pressed to reset the altitude.
4.  Add a check for water to ensure that behavior is consistent over land (no underground) and water (submerged is possible).

Update:  I have the revised behavior in place.  Now, the altitude controls are more intuitive.  I now use Throttle Off (X by default) to reset the Movement mode Altitude, and lose all altitude changes.  New Release coming soon.

Edited by Papa_Joe
Update status

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.