[1.1.3] (2016-07-24) Telemachus - Telemetry and Flight Control in the Web Browser

tcannonfodder

Telemachus is back in active development! We're looking for other developers and maintainers, let me know if you're interested!

Once the Telemachus data link part is installed...

NZEtK5u.png

...you can connect to a telemetry source using your web browser, to obtain several visualizations.....

fUIsUch.png

...and then combine them to construct your own mission control. In the image below we have an example of such a setup:

nb8EAvY.jpg

From left to right you have: Atmospheric density chart, KSP (obviously), Altitude chart, and a g-force chart on the tablet perched on the shelf. The following screen shots show more Telemachus features.

Zco47Ir.png

Figure 1 - Send basic commands to your vessels

X3AwcZA.png

Figure 2 - MechJeb2 integration

jsDBkM8.png

Figure 3 - Kerbal Maps integration

Download Telemachus from Curse or GitHub

Want some more Telemachus fun? Try Houston!

For Compliance of Add-on Rule 5

In case it wasn't obvious already, Telemachus sends telemetry data from KSP to a web browser. If you require precise information on the data exchanged and the protocols used, then please check out the API Documentation.

Links

Installation Instructions

User Guide

API Documentation

Source Code

Credits

Licence (MIT)

Edited by tcannonfodder

AWESOME SAUCE!!! THANK YOU @tcannonfodder

Any chance to get hosted on SpaceDock as well?

Also, not sure who wrote this, EDIT: this was done by @Z-Key Aerospace, but here's a "Telemachus for All Antennas" patch, for those who dont like to use the included Telemachus parts... You should be able to simply edit, or add new entries for other antennas, and just replace the [partname]...

Spoiler

@PART[longAntenna]:FOR[Telemachus]
{
    %MODULE[TelemachusDataLink]{

}
    %MODULE[TelemachusPowerDrain]{}
    {
        %powerConsumptionBase = 0.01
        %powerConsumptionIncrease = 0.02
    }
}

@PART[mediumDishAntenna]:FOR[Telemachus]
{

}
    {
    }
}

@PART[commDish]:FOR[Telemachus]
{

}
    {
    }
}

@PART[HighGainAntenna]:FOR[AntennaRange]:NEEDS[AsteroidDay,!RemoteTech]
{

}
    {
    }
}

Also, any chance you could look into either adding or supporting the RT-Telechamus Kitbash? Unfortunately, it seems @jackellice never listed a license, so I guess he would need to be contacted, OR someone would have to re-start something from scratch...

Edited by Stone Blue

congrats on the re-re-(re?)release!

I'd recommend putting the relevant module somewhere in the OP, so people don't have to dig for it if they want to add it to their favorite antennae.

Also, if iirc, there was a bug with the map mode overlay not following along with the capsule (or the capsule appearing outside of the map entirely). Was quite distressing for my kerbals.:D

11 hours ago, monstah said:

Endorsed! Lots of utilities, a navball, and a better organized interface. Since this is a reboot, I'd even suggest you set it as "the" Telemachus :) 

5 hours ago, Deimos Rast said:

congrats on the re-re-(re?)release!

I'd recommend putting the relevant module somewhere in the OP, so people don't have to dig for it if they want to add it to their favorite antennae.

Also, if iirc, there was a bug with the map mode overlay not following along with the capsule (or the capsule appearing outside of the map entirely). Was quite distressing for my kerbals.:D

Thanks! For now I'm thinking of keeping Houston separate from Telemachus, but that could change in the future. :) My top goals right now is adding some more great features to Telemachus and getting the project ship-shape again.

8 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

AWESOME SAUCE!!! THANK YOU @tcannonfodder

Any chance to get hosted on SpaceDock as well?

Also, not sure who wrote this, EDIT: this was done by @Z-Key Aerospace, but here's a "Telemachus for All Antennas" patch, for those who dont like to use the included Telemachus parts... You should be able to simply edit, or add new entries for other antennas, and just replace the [partname]...

Reveal hidden contents

@PART[longAntenna]:FOR[Telemachus]
{

}
    {
    }
}

@PART[mediumDishAntenna]:FOR[Telemachus]
{

}
    {
    }
}

@PART[commDish]:FOR[Telemachus]
{

}
    {
    }
}

@PART[HighGainAntenna]:FOR[AntennaRange]:NEEDS[AsteroidDay,!RemoteTech]
{

}
    {
    }
}

Also, any chance you could look into either adding or supporting the RT-Telechamus Kitbash? Unfortunately, it seems @jackellice never listed a license, so I guess he would need to be contacted, OR someone would have to re-start something from scratch...

Thanks! This is my first time hearing about either of these, so I'll have to look into them further! I've been collecting bug reports and feature requests here: https://github.com/KSP-Telemachus/Telemachus/issues

Edited by tcannonfodder

you may want to rethink your thread title. Everyone else on the forums uses [x.x.x] at the start of their thread to reference the compatible KSP version, not the current mod version. It may cause some people confusion

Edited by Gaiiden

7 minutes ago, Veeltch said:

Do you plan adding a separate camera part that does this?

The plan is to hook into existing camera mods (starting off with RasterPropMonitor first) rather than ask users to add another camera. I'll also have the "current flight camera", which is what the user sees minus the UI

39 minutes ago, tcannonfodder said:

The plan is to hook into existing camera mods (starting off with RasterPropMonitor first) rather than ask users to add another camera. I'll also have the "current flight camera", which is what the user sees minus the UI

I agree.. Theres RPM, Hullcam, KURS-style docking cam, and I believe theres camera stuff with the BD Armory stuff...
The way the camera mods work, IIRC, its best to just have one installed at a time... So, many people will already have one they prefer installed... Its probably easier to just add support for those mods, and leave it up to the user to choose, rather than developing a whole nother plugin JUST for Telemachus, while re-inventing the wheel again

Edited by Stone Blue

Hey tcannonfodder,

I'm trying to create an add-on for Telemachus. I'm serving up some new html pages and javascript from within a subdirectory under \Telemachus. I'm having problems loading .txt,xml.cfg files using xhttpRequests as well as loading .mp4 video files over http. Files that work fine are .js,html,and .png's. Wondering if this is something can be easily changed in a future release. I've been able to work around by loading "text" resource files  as ".js" and even have the video loading by renaming to a "png", however I don't want to release a mod like that. Any help or new information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for taking over dev of one of my favorite mods!

Cheers!

4 hours ago, JOHNMKNIGHT said:

Hey tcannonfodder,

I'm trying to create an add-on for Telemachus. I'm serving up some new html pages and javascript from within a subdirectory under \Telemachus. I'm having problems loading .txt,xml.cfg files using xhttpRequests as well as loading .mp4 video files over http. Files that work fine are .js,html,and .png's. Wondering if this is something can be easily changed in a future release. I've been able to work around by loading "text" resource files  as ".js" and even have the video loading by renaming to a "png", however I don't want to release a mod like that. Any help or new information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for taking over dev of one of my favorite mods!

Cheers!

Hey there!

No problem, glad to be helping out! Can you send me a link to the repository for the new add-on? That would help me clone it and see what's going on here. :)

On August 3, 2016 at 11:05 AM, Adam Kerman said:

How exactly does this work I tried it and got both attenas on my rocket but no info

Hey Adam! Did you right-click on the part and then click "Open Link?" Did that open up your web browser?

3 hours ago, tcannonfodder said:

Hey there!

No problem, glad to be helping out! Can you send me a link to the repository for the new add-on? That would help me clone it and see what's going on here. :)

Hey Adam! Did you right-click on the part and then click "Open Link?" Did that open up your web browser?

Ja (Yes) I did that but I received nothing no info

@Adam Kerman are you trying telemachus on your KSP computer, or a seperate device?... Usually, its good prcatice to set up telemachus on the same computer you are running KSP on... If you get it working (ie the networking and ports), THEN attempt changing the netwrok settings for a different device...

Having issues with mono.dll , I have a bunch of mods loaded. I install Telemachus, throws mono.dll exception. I remove a few mods and it works. I am running in 64-bit (32G). This is more of a question than a complaint. Isn't KSP supposed to address "unlmitied" memory to run all the add-ons or am I in the wrong frame of mind for this issue?

Looks like I have reached the limits of the VM world.. I was playing KSP through ESXI for quite some time and now it is very temperamental , switched back to a true hardware box and it seems to be working just fine... 

Looks like I spoke too soon, got it to crash on the real box too.. still testing .. the only remedy I have come up with is gutting mods..

Edited by SiRCrashaLot

8JCCv2K.png

Good news everyone!

I’ve released an alpha build for Telemachus 1.6.0, which will have a fancy new feature: Camera Snapshots!

That’s right, you’ll be able to get delayed screenshots from the current flight camera and any RasterPropMonitor cameras for the current active vessel. Want to see it in action? Here’s a demo!

Telemachus 1.6.0 will require ModuleManager to make the necessary patches to RasterPropMonitor cameras

You can get the list of cameras for the active vessel by going to: /telemachus/cameras, and you can access individual cameras by following the url for that camera.

Want to give a try? You can download the Alpha build here: https://github.com/KSP-Telemachus/Telemachus/releases/tag/1.6.0-alpha-1

THIS IS AN ALPHA BUILD AND MAY LEAD TO UNEXPECTED BEHAVIOR AND CRASHES. MAKE SURE TO BACKUP YOUR SAVE FREQUENTLY AND BEFORE DOWNLOADING.

Find a bug? Let me know by submitting an issue on Github!

Edited by tcannonfodder

On 8/5/2016 at 3:04 PM, tcannonfodder said:

Hey there!

Here's the link. https://github.com/johnmknight/ksppao - You should just be able to copy this and put it under the Telemachus plugin directory, where the other html files are.
Cheers! Oh, everything is rough and I didn't merge the code that actually gets the data from Telemachus yet. So all this is purely HTML and javascript. NOTE, the text-to-voice is only working properly with Chrome.

2 hours ago, JOHNMKNIGHT said:

Here's the link. https://github.com/johnmknight/ksppao - You should just be able to copy this and put it under the Telemachus plugin directory, where the other html files are.
Cheers! Oh, everything is rough and I didn't merge the code that actually gets the data from Telemachus yet. So all this is purely HTML and javascript. NOTE, the text-to-voice is only working properly with Chrome.

WOAH This is a really fun, awesome idea, I LOVE IT! :D I'm working on Telemachus' 1.6 alpha currently, but I'll try to squeeze some time in to figure this out. Probably a MIME type issue :)

3 hours ago, tcannonfodder said:

8JCCv2K.png

Good news everyone!

I’ve released an alpha build for Telemachus 1.6.0, which will have a fancy new feature: Camera Snapshots!

That’s right, you’ll be able to get delayed screenshots from the current flight camera and any RasterPropMonitor cameras for the current active vessel.

Luv the Futurama refernce :)

Sooo... Hopefully this new functionality will work flawlessly with this?:

6 hours ago, JOHNMKNIGHT said:

Hey John!

It looks like you can add the support for the various formats here: https://github.com/KSP-Telemachus/Telemachus/blob/master/Telemachus/src/IOPageResponsibility.cs#L76

If you can fork the code and make a PR to the Telemachus branch, I can review + merge it!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.