[WIP] Kerbals 1869 - New! Pre Release Trailer! 8-2-16

Fengist

FCWLogo.jpg

Please use the release thread.

Feel free to read through this regarding the release of this thread, but I will request that it be locked soon.

When I was a child, my mother dropped me on my head.

Regardless of what you currently think of the comedian Bill Cosby as a human being, he was/is a funny man. Years ago he did a monologue talking about his parents, and how his mother just loves and kisses all over his children. He tries to explain to his kids, "this is NOT the woman I grew up with.  She's old now and trying to get into heaven."  When you turn fifty-years-old and your mother suddenly reveals to you that she dropped you on your head as a baby, the first thing you have to consider is that, "she's old and trying to get into heaven."  My mother is in her 70's now.  And she's facing the fact that mortality is real.  She's trying to leave this world with a clean conscience. And now, after FIFTY years, she tells me this.  My only response was, "well, that certainly explains a few things."  I can now face my mortality with the knowledge that I am the way I am as a possible result of dain bramage.

The other quirk of my mother that's caused me many issues over the years is a side effect of being a child in the 60's.  Back then, being left handed was considered a stigma.  When I was in my 40's, my mother revealed to me that as a baby I tried my best to do everything with my left hand.  Since left handed people were considered abnormal in the eyes of society, she did what she thought was the right thing to do.  She kept putting things in my right hand.  As a result I'm semi-ambidextrous.  By that, I mean that mostly, I'm right handed. But many things I still have to do with my left hand.  The reason is, my left eye is dominant.  For most right handed people, their right eye is dominant, making them left brained.  Most left handed people are left eye dominant, making them right brained.  Yes, it's strange, each side of the brain controls the opposite side of the body.  Right brained people are considered to be analytical, logical.  They make good coders.  Left brained people are considered to be more creative and artistic.  They make good modellers. And then, there's me.  Half right, half left and completely scatterbrained as a result.

The reality of realism

Ok, so keep in mind that my brain is dysfunctional while I digress a moment.

For those of you who don't know me, I'm the creator of The Maritime Pack.  Had KSP been around and had I been modding boats 30 years ago.. if I had created models with the hull upside down I would have been laughed at.  I would have been told that that style of hull went out with the war of 1812.  If you take a look at modern ship design, you'll see the inverted hull has definitely been revived.  If, 20 years ago, I had created sails for cargo ships I would have been branded a heretic.  That technology went out with the dark ages.  We have diesel now.  Knowing what we know about global warming, sails are exactly what ship engineers are looking to put back on cargo vessels.

One of the problems modding for a game like KSP is that the players... you... have certain expectations.  You expect things to look real and you expect to find things you know.  Look at the vast majority of the mods out there (no, not all, but most) and you'll see that they strive to recreate reality, both in parts and texture. Even the stock parts, as far away from reality as they are, attempt to mimic the dirt, grime and scratches that come with time.  Unfortunately, we were all born too young for reality in gaming.  We're bound by the number of pixels and polygons our screens (and now VR) can display.  No matter how much modders struggle to recreate reality, it can't happen in this incarnation of KSP.  Parallel to the texture recreation is reproducing the reality we know.  I can't tell you how many times I was asked to make a carrier for my mod.  When I made it, I was asked to make arresting gear, and a catapult and a tail hook. Players know these things.  Though they may have never seen one in person, they know what they are and how they work... and they want them.  As a modder it's a constant struggle to provide the reality everyone expects and be creative.

My left brain revolts

Back to my brain.

One of the advantages of having both hemispheres of my brain struggling for complete control is that I'm dual purpose.  Roughly a year ago I started modding.  Before then, I'd never even looked at CAD software or game engines.  Now, I'm getting proficient at creating models. Instead of taking days, I finish them in hours, sometimes in minutes.  I'm beginning to understand the KSP API, I have at least a working knowledge of Unity, I'm a hack at coding in C#, a language I never used before, and I'm getting better at texturing.  So, I can write code. It's not elegant but it works. And I can be artistic enough to make acceptable mods.  Instead of being a coder begging for a modder's help or a modder begging for a coder's help.. I can sorta do both.  All thanks to my mothers fallible grip and society.  The problem... I'm proficient at both but great at neither.  I can't focus enough on one to become really good at it.  When I try to focus on the logic of code, my left brain demands that I format it for visual appeal (no, it's not a beautiful mind).

Lately, my left brain has become dissatisfied.  While creating the Maritime Pack has been a rewarding experience for my right brain, my left brain has been asleep.  If you know my models, it shows.  I don't think I ever really put forth my best effort on any of them.  The reason?  I know my artistic skills.  While I'm acceptable, attempting to recreate reality is not something I'm capable of.  The finite details of texturing for realism escapes me.  Remember, I'm half an artist.  But, that doesn't stop my left brain from desiring more creativity.

Now don't get the idea that I'm giving up the Maritime Pack (not that I could if I wanted to it seems).  I'll still be maintaining and working on that.  But, my left brain has had enough of trying to mimic things and recreating things that already exist.  It wants more room to express itself.

Kerb-fu

Just before I stared modding, I downloaded 'the' KSP steampunk pack made by Kerb-fu.  One of the things I was able to do with that pack was make a sailing ship.  Not a little row boat, an actual ship.  While it didn't work quite as I had hoped, the inspiration was enough to help get me started in modding.  While @Beale is responsible for me learning the modelling software Wings 3D and you can blame him for this, @Kerb-fu is the inspiration behind the Maritime Pack.  I found many of his parts to be intriguing to the point of absurdity.  Gunpowder SRB's?  Steam powered rockets?  His parts showed me a creative mind at work.  A mod where imagination was the name of the game.  He didn't have to play by any rules of realism because there weren't any.

A few days ago, I downloaded his pack again and installed it.  I was saddened to find that he too has been on sabbatical and hasn't been around to update his mod for months.  So my left brain, being the emotional side, was saddened.  At the same time, it saw an artistic opportunity.  Without knowing if Kerb-fu was ever coming back, I set out to create a Mk1 steampunk command pod.  And here's the end results:

Spoiler

pkehf8k.png

I posted a screenshot on Kerb-fu's thread in hopes he'd see it  And he did.  He pretty much demanded that I release the part immediately.  So, I transformed it into a tribute to his mod.  I spoke a bit to him and he indicated he was considering coming back to modding. I also asked him how angry he'd be if another steampunk mod appeared.  More specifically, one that used his for inspiration (yep, relying on his creativity a second time it seems).  His response was nothing short of supportive.

Both sides of my brain were elated.  The logical right loved the idea of experimenting with untried techniques in coding.  My artistic left was pleased with the idea of being able to break a few molds and do something totally artistically absurd.

TLDR

As a result of possible brain injury as a child and ambidexterity (read bipolar disorder), I have jumped off the bridge of reality and am now venturing into the unknown world of STEAMPUNK Kerbals.

1869.jpg

A working title

View the models in 3D

Ok, so here's how this is going to work.  I'm already 20-30 parts into this mod so it's release is pretty much guaranteed.  However, I'm working, not on perfection because I'm incapable of that, but to produce the most visually appealing, yet fun and functional mod that I can.  Therefore, it's still going to be a while before I package this up, I want to make sure it's something I'm pleased with.  In the meantime, it seems this planet revolves around hype these days instead of mind altering drugs (not that that's a bad thing mind you.).  So, I'm here to generate hype.  Over the next few weeks, as I add on more parts and features, I'm going to be slowly releasing updates to my work.  Consider this a mini-blog until release.

What you're going to get: 

Screenshots:

Every day or two.. or three..  I'll post a screenshot with some of the parts I've created and some notes on how they work and the current development. 

3D Models:

As I post screenshots, I'll also be uploading models to Sketchfab.  Clicking on the link above will take you to a special 'collection' of these parts.  As I introduce them in this thread, I'll also upload the model so that you can rotate and view it.  These models are uploaded directly from within Unity, so you see what Unity sees.

Video's

Periodically, there may be videos.  There definitely will be one to coincide with the release.  So stay tuned.

Remember, this thread will be updated every day or two so make sure you follow it through this development period.  Lots of new stuff will becoming. 

Let's get started!

One of the fun things to do in many card games when you KNOW you have a good hand, is to lead with a trump card.  And here it is:

zAbf5sz.png

Welcome to steampunk for KSP!

Since I've already bombarded you with a wall of text, I'll just post one more image with the following statement.  Yes, that thing you see on the aft end of this vessel is a tail. And yes, it does move.  Side-to-side to be more precise. Yes, it does move in direct proportion to your throttle setting and... this should go without saying, it's STEAM powered.

mYq9PcY.png

Don't forget, you can view each of the part models in these screenshots by clicking the link above!

Edited by Fengist

2 hours ago, BT Industries said:

Ohhh a train,

Will this be on or off of rails.

Actually, Kerb-fu had one in his mod.  The wheels are busted now but, it was an off rails train.  Here's one of the HUGE problems with creating long vessels in KSP if you haven't experienced it.  Body slams.  

If you take, say 6 parts, and dock them all together on land, the docking ports try very hard to make a perfectly straight piece out of all 6 of them. That usually means that at least one of those parts gets buried in the terrain.  When the physics engine kicks back in after docking, it suddenly sees that a part is beneath the terrain (the mesh colliders overlap I'm assuming) and it forcibly ejects that part from the terrain.   I've had some of my longer trains lifted hundreds of meters into the air and then slammed back onto the surface.

And this 'bug' has existed for at least 3 years that I know of.  Below is a screenshot of 2013 with one of my 'trains' docked together and it was eventually terminated by a body slam.

Couple that with the fact that wheels are still screwed, I think I'm gonna wait before I become a landlubber... at least for the wheels to get fixed.  

But the thought of a tracked steampunk rover has a HUGE appeal... hummmm...

MNgZ5js.jpg

Edited by Fengist

I love the way it looks! It's totally not my style and I will likely never use it, but that doesn't mean it isn't pretty! I love to see big fuel tanks, with lots of rivets, cochran-style boilers and wood panelling!

1 hour ago, BT Industries said:

Hmmm...

How about a really shortl but thick KAS rope to connect the carriages, so its essentially a flexible docking port.

Dunno if you've noticed, but KAS is subject to that problem too.  In the video for Maritime Pack, there's a short piece where I land a VTOL on the CVE and then have a Kerbal lock a KAS port between the aircraft and the CVE.  Dunno if it's visible, but when I did, the wheels for the aircraft sunk into the deck of the carrier.  When you undock, there's a really good chance it'll cause issues.  If you look at the outtakes at the end of that video, you'll see a rover going flipping over the bridge of the RoRo.  That's exactly what happened.  I undocked a KAS port, the wheels got buried in the deck and in an attempt to free it, it got ejected.

Squad does not see the docking of land based craft as something they it should pay attention to.

Now, all THAT being said...

The MP Tug boat uses the Klaw (ModuleGrappleNode) to lock onto other boats.  I have 'klawed' two tugboats together and klawed them to a barge.  But, that was on water.  On land, I dunnoooo....

45 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

I love the way it looks! It's totally not my style and I will likely never use it, but that doesn't mean it isn't pretty! I love to see big fuel tanks, with lots of rivets, cochran-style boilers and wood panelling!

Wood paneling? Hrumph.  No self respecting sailor would be caught dead with anything less than TEAK. Wood paneling indeed...

:)

Oh, and while the model is the same for the 'hull' piece, one of those is a fuel tank.  It uses Firespitter's fuel switching so that it's capable of holding LF, LF+Ox, Steam and Ore.

More on the steam and ore in a later post.

Edited by Fengist

53 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

Awesome! Mod looks amazing!

Thank you sir.  Allow me to reward your kind words with a peek at another part.  Now pay close attention and you may even see more parts than just this one.

Lantern - 1869

BmR2g5P.png

Edited by Fengist

1 hour ago, Fengist said:

Honestly, I'd MUCH rather someone take a few moments and respond personally. Thanks.

So be it. From the first word of your lefty-righty tirade (with which I also am very well aquainted) to the first sight of that fantastic command pod, and each beautiful reveal afterwards, I am increasingly awed! Very good looking work so far, and I am looking forward to the completed project!

8 hours ago, BigFatStupidHead said:

So be it. From the first word of your lefty-righty tirade (with which I also am very well aquainted) to the first sight of that fantastic command pod, and each beautiful reveal afterwards, I am increasingly awed! Very good looking work so far, and I am looking forward to the completed project!

Thank you my good man. And you have my deepest sympathy (no he doesn't) (yes he does) (no he doesn't)...

2 hours ago, theJesuit said:

I am intrigued.  And this may reinsurer me to complete a steampunk novel (well a trilogy which concludes with a lunar journey).  Good luck!

Peace.

I shall endeavor to further pique your curiosity later today.  However, I must warn you.  What you'll get from this initially will be more of a Captain Nemo adventure rather than a rocket ship to the moon.

Good morning, good afternoon, good evening wherever you may be.

The time has come for another entry into this adventure into the world of iron and steam.

Fist, let me start off with a better description of the images of what you've already seen (since I overloaded you with my drivel in the introduction).  Yesterday, I gave you a couple of images and several parts.  To give you a size frame of reference, the diameter of all those parts matches the The Mark1-2 command pod.  Think the big orange Rockomax fuel tank.  With one important exception.  All of the parts are slightly rotated. Why rotated you ask?  I'm glad you did!.

Unlike most of you, @BigFatStupidHead, @SpannerMonkey(smce) and I are symmetrical.  One side of our brain is equivalent to the other.  We three are more symmetrical than the rest of you.  Nature loves symmetry. Humans love symmetry.  Squad only... tolerates symmetry.  How do I know this?  Take a look at the vast majority of the parts and you'll find they're pointy.  How many times have you had angle snap turned on, tried to attach your part to the top or the side of a vessel in the SPH only to find it won't fit perpendicular to the part you're trying to attach it to? It flops this way and that way but never perpendicular.  You have to end up turning angle snap off in order to achieve... symmetry.  Why? Because... Squad is pointy!  I am not pointy.

I have purposefully rotated all of these hull pieces so that the flat spots are on the top, bottom and sides WHERE THEY BELONG!

Not that I'm ranting mind you, just pointing out odd inconsistencies that make me wonder about other people's brains.  That's the beauty of being... eccentric.  You can always look at someone else and classify them as being an oddball. Because in your mind's frame of reference, everyone else is strange... and pointy.

Ok, so back to the parts.

Now that you have an idea of their size, here's what they do.  The pointy (LoL I said pointy) thing on the front is a hull piece.  It comes in two flavors.  Flavor one holds Compressed Water, a substance used for ballast.  I first introduced this substance in the Maritime Pack in order to balance ships.  It continues in this mod.  The center pieces include, an empty hull piece, a crew tank capable of holding 4 Kerbals and a multi-fuel tank.  The multi fuel tank can be switched around in the editor to hold LF or LF+Ox or Ore or Steam.  Those of you who've used my paddle-wheelers are familiar with the latter two of those.  Vessels in this mod will be primarily propelled by steam.  Steam is generated by burning ore.  I assume you can get water from most everywhere... for now.

And the final part is the fish tail thingy on the rear.  That was the second steampunk part I created and let me tell you, it was a challenge and it was fun to build.

First, you'll build up some steam.  Once you do, you can engage the engine which consumes steam. When you apply throttle, the fish tail will start to move back and forth.  The more throttle, the faster it moves.  Should you run out of steam or disengage the engine... it stops.  But, it's also has a 'smoothThrottle' setting.  This keeps it from abruptly changing speeds. If you're at full speed and shut the engine off, it doesn't stop instantly, it slowly comes to a stop.  Just like you'd expect.

So, those are the parts from yesterday.  I'm sure you're curious about the parts for today.

Well, I only have one new one for you but it's essential to me continuing this cat and mouse game of teasing you with pictures.  And that's a command pod.  Without it, I won't be able to do much to the vessels and give you pictures.

So, without further ado, the 1869 Submarine Bridge (while these parts will fit rockets, we're building a submarine with them. This is steampunk, of course I'm building a submarine)

And since I gave the preview of it yesterday, I attached two lanterns to the side of the bridge.

Don't forget, you can view all of these parts in 3D.

xyjOyOo.png

X6P4qXF.png

NbeYsQf.png

lzygGS3.png

Just a quick description:

The submarine bridge (conning tower for you bubble-heads) holds 2 Kerbals.  There's an access hatch in the front and on top. With the ladder in the back, you'll be able to access the vessel both in front and behind the bridge depending on which 'airlock' you exit from.  There are 3 portholes and it contains what you'd expect from a command module, batteries, SAS, etc.  There's also a chimney. Should your Kerbals get cold, they can throw a lump of ore in the stove.

Edited by Fengist

Got to say buddy i do find your postings damn funny. (And it's not just squad afflicted by the pointy syndrome, 3ds is also pointy!  favoring a vertex rather than a face  toward the cardinal directions ..)  I feel though that the use of copper on the lamp bezels may be a touch utilitarian, may i suggest brass as to give the deckhands something else to polish.  I'm sure you'll be asked for a periscope, 2" steam pipe would seem the ideal choice :)  Did you ever consider the reverse scheme, with the main hull in copper (for it's natural antifouling properties) and black bands/braces? Probably a bit bleh when i think about it, in ref to ksp..

2 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Got to say buddy i do find your postings damn funny. (And it's not just squad afflicted by the pointy syndrome, 3ds is also pointy!  favoring a vertex rather than a face  toward the cardinal directions ..)  I feel though that the use of copper on the lamp bezels may be a touch utilitarian, may i suggest brass as to give the deckhands something else to polish.  I'm sure you'll be asked for a periscope, 2" steam pipe would seem the ideal choice :)  Did you ever consider the reverse scheme, with the main hull in copper (for it's natural antifouling properties) and black bands/braces? Probably a bit bleh when i think about it, in ref to ksp..

Well, there's one reasonable request in that.  But let me tackle the unreasonable ones first.  A periscope?  My good man, that makes two brash (or brass) assumptions.  Assumption one; that I'm going to take the time to write the code so you can 'look' through a periscope.  You have already forgotten.  I'm only half a programmer.  And secondly, that the KSP physics environment is so rock stable that you could actually cruise a vessel beneath the surface of the waves and maintain such a steady depth as to look through a periscope? I hasten to remind you good sir that we are still mired in version 1.1.3, not 3.1.1. (*wink*).

Now, for the reasonable request.   Brass lantern bezels?  As you wish. Break out your Nevr-Dull swabbie. New 3d model uploaded and here's your lantern on the vessel... along with a peek at another part.

1ZDRCis.png

Edited by Fengist

AWWW HECK YES! :D

This is exactly what I've been wanting. At least out of models. Depending on where you go with the gameplay (will rocket parts be actual rocket engines? Will they use realistic fuels? Where's my rivet gun, I need to make my living room wall more steampunky?) I might want to make some pseudo-realism patches to these. I wanted to have a steampunk parts pack to go with my The Holy Solar System of the Vernian Astronomical Church mod, which features the steampunk and religious Vernians in a totally new and original solar system. Of course, the issue is that the planet Sudric, being that it is so small, needs properly nerfed rocket parts.

This was the drawing that started my system's design, as well as the idea that I wanted these people to have steampunk rockets. The idea that they pray to their god to go faster than light was the reason I made them religious.

R5RB0TJ.jpg

And here's what I've got so far in game: http://imgur.com/a/FryGx

Vertical Propulsion Emporium looked far too junky and not aerodynamic enough, but these models you've made looks absolutely great!

I also made a document about what kinds of machines and resources a steampunk mod would want, if you're interested. http://pastebin.com/raw/FL8RnJEu

Maybe we might collaborate?

Edited by GregroxMun

2 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Hype

On 7/25/2016 at 10:54 PM, Fengist said:

Yea, where is that hype train?  Oh wait, this is steampunk and I'm a modder.  I shall go MAKE ONE!

The KSP Hype Train is a Gresley A3, painted green, with HYPE on the Tender and 07A on the sides of the cab.

2 hours ago, GregroxMun said:

AWWW HECK YES! :D

This is exactly what I've been wanting. At least out of models. Depending on where you go with the gameplay (will rocket parts be actual rocket engines? Will they use realistic fuels? Where's my rivet gun, I need to make my living room wall more steampunky?) I might want to make some pseudo-realism patches to these. I wanted to have a steampunk parts pack to go with my The Holy Solar System of the Vernian Astronomical Church mod, which features the steampunk and religious Vernians in a totally new and original solar system. Of course, the issue is that the planet Sudric, being that it is so small, needs properly nerfed rocket parts.

This was the drawing that started my system's design, as well as the idea that I wanted these people to have steampunk rockets. The idea that they pray to their god to go faster than light was the reason I made them religious.

And here's what I've got so far in game: http://imgur.com/a/FryGx

Vertical Propulsion Emporium looked far too junky and not aerodynamic enough, but these models you've made looks absolutely great!

I also made a document about what kinds of machines and resources a steampunk mod would want, if you're interested. http://pastebin.com/raw/FL8RnJEu

Maybe we might collaborate?

Now that I've gotten a moment to look over what you have there... it  would seem you're buried well into this idea already.  But before I delve into that...

In defense of Kerb-fu's work:  It may not appeal to everyone, like any mod, but it definitely has it's place. And I wouldn't exactly call it "junky."  It inspired me.  Allow me to explain:

Kerb-fu fills a huge gap with his mod.  He provides steampunk oriented parts and lots of them.  Something that, until this mod is released, you can only find through him.  You can pick and choose which of his parts you prefer. If you don't want wooden barrels for fuel tanks, don't use them.  Another BIG difference between his mod and mine will definitely be appearance.  Not everyone has a fantastic computer.  For a LONG time, on 32 bit KSP and 8 gigs of ram I had to be VERY selective about the mods I chose.  His are low polygon count and low res textures.  And for someone who wants to put hundreds of parts on a vessel, his mod allows you to do that without lagging the crap out of your machine.  That, and his creative mind has come up with the most bizarre and, IMHO, fantastic contraptions.  I even had one of his airships flying around the other day, puttering about with biplane prop engines.  And his ingenuity in creating solar sails still has me wanting to steal his idea. So, his mod definitely has a place.  It will be a long time before I come even close to either the ingenuity he has or the part count.

My approach will be MUCH different.  I've explained to my alpha testers that I'm not holding back on polygon count.  I'm not using tiny images for my textures either.  This mod is my opportunity to be artistic AND logical.  But, that doesn't mean I'm being wasteful.  I'm not going overboard with 4k graphics.  If you take a look at the 3D's on Sketchfab, you'll see some parts have some sizable poly counts, into the thousands. And thus far, I'm limiting myself to 1024k images and those will be .dds compressed.  While they do look good from a distance, if you zoom in on these parts, yes, they will look pixelated. Somewhere there has to be a trade-off between ram usage and appearance. When I can, I reuse textures to save ram. But if I want something to have a special texture, I'm NOT going to spend hours cobbling it together from several others, I'll make a new one. Mine will spew sparks, jets of steam, whirling lights on goofy gizmos, just any animation or particle effect that suits my fancy.

So... this means that with my mod, you're going to hit graphics lag a lot sooner with high part counts than you will with Kerb-fu's work.  Knowing this is why I've been I've been trying to get him to revive his work (I think it's working).  Each of us will fill a different steampunk niche.  But I'm also trying to make my parts look close enough to his in color selections so that it won't be a huge stretch to use his parts and mine on the same vessel.

Finally, and Kerb-fu has warned me about this, not everyone has the same mental image of what steampunk is or how it should look.  One browse through Google images and you'll see a VAST variety of styles.  I know of at least 3 distinct varieties of Captain Nemo's Nautilus, from Jules Verne's drawing up to the latest movie version of it.  Each of them, vastly different.  I am going to create what I see in my mind.  Not what everyone else sees.  I like Kerb-fu's "Brass and Class" approach and that's what I'm striving for.

Think Kenneth Branagh 19807886_l.jpg

If someone wants dirty, grimy steampunk, I can direct them to some nice modelling and paint programs.

Now, on to your ideas:

Two things you had in your list that immediately appeal to me are peroxide and ice. The vast majority of 'devices' I'm going to create will be based on burning ore (and soon water) to create steam.  Today I'm working on turning solar power into steam and drills for ore.  Getting the power consumption correct so that it's balanced is a chore.  Being able to use my parts on other orbital bodies will soon become necessary.  For the moment, you'll be limited to oxygenated bodies (Kerbin, Laythe).  Ice drilling would solve a problem of not having intake air on other planets.  And peroxide is just hydrogen and oxygen.  So those make good logical sense.  I don't want to do what many mods do and get into dozens of fuels that can't be 'gathered'  I want to stick to the basics of Steam (and water derivatives), Ore, Air, and Electricity for now.

Several of the parts you envision are already in place and others are planned.  One in particular I hadn't thought of that will get implemented is a steam gyroscope/reaction wheel (rather than electric).

So, thanks,  I have bookmarked your ideas and feel free to pass along any more you have!

Edited by Fengist

Greetings folks.  I'm back with more cargo for the hype train.

First, today's screenshots:

AJnEYI7.png 

zf6r6dl.png

Today we continue our steampunk submarine build with three new parts.  That's the good news. The bad news, if you're familiar with my Maritime Pack, these parts shouldn't be anything new to you in function... well, not much, but some.

Anyway. The first thing you've probably noticed are the two stacks sticking out the side of the submarine. Those.. are engines.  While putting a boiler inside one of the hull parts is I supposed doable, it might be a bit much in the polygon department. So, I had to kinda trust your imagination on this one.  Just like any other engine, you can right click to activate.  Unlike most other engines, it's thrust is nearly zero.  It's sole purpose is to convert the resource Ore into steam.  I also consumes a small amount of Compressed Water in the process and requires some oxygen to burn the ore.

Compressed Water is another resource that will be in this mod.  It's primary use will be ballast, both to help vessels on the water keep an even keel and to submerge vessels.  Added to the front of the submarine is the newly, or is that old-ly, redesigned water compressor/decompressor.  Two convenient pieces in one, it does both.  Parts designed to fit on the bow and stern have compressed water compartments.  And, by doing the alt-right click on both parts, you can transfer this ballast between parts.  This makes it pretty easy to balance your vessel out both for riding above the waves and beneath them.

And, as I mentioned the stacks need intake air.  And what better way to do that steampunk style is with a good old-fashioned ship's ventilator.  Those of you who know the MP, know this part already.  I just brassed and classed it up a bit.

The stack you see here is one of two available.  The other is almost identical except it's a straight stack.  The one here has a 90 degree elbow at the bottom.. which makes it look a lot better when mounted on the sides of things.

Now, here's something that is different but, it should be expected.  If you dive below the surface of the water.  The stacks become flooded and shut down, almost instantly.  And you can't restart them till you surface.  So make sure you have plenty of steam built up before diving.

For now, the compressor assumes you can pull water out of thin air (and I believe in reality you can). In the future, that's going to change. Pulling it out of air will give much less desirable results than if you were sitting in the ocean.

So, now that I've got the three major resources on this iron-clad monster, it's time to make some steam!

Dnf2Nf7.png

Sorry I'm not up to my usual par with humorous anecdotes today. My right brain has been beating itself to death trying to write code for a new part so the left side has been off twiddling it's thumbs in anticipation of more part creation and is flatly refusing anything resembling humor.  I couldn't even laugh at myself today so a friend linked me an ancient Jim Carey stand-up to watch.  Ummm... slap-stick humor.  

And as always, all of these parts are now in the sketchfab collection (that big link in the OP).

Edited by Fengist

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.