[WIP] Kerbals 1869 - New! Pre Release Trailer! 8-2-16

Fengist

25 minutes ago, BigFatStupidHead said:

How delightful! I have a particular fondness for the Archimedes screw for travel both land and sea, so I am quite pleased to see it make an appearance here.

Ah, someone did spot my theft.

While I can't say I came up with that idea on my own, I can say I'm not one to pass up on a chance for stealing a cool Victorian steampunk idea.

SS Archimedes

Once I get to work on supporting Hooligan Lab's airships with some new parts, I'll make sure they work on those as well... to some degree.

5 hours ago, Jack Wolfe said:

Outstanding work! And I love your take on the Nautilus. She's a beauty.

Thanks!

36 minutes ago, Nightside said:

Love the jump at the end there!

Thanks It took some effort to make sure jumping is all it does.  When you get the parts you'll see some incredible thrust numbers on these engines.  They rival jets and in some cases exceed jets. However, you may choose to call them crippled. I took a lot of time making sure the thrust curves were appropriate so that you can punch through the soup we call oceans at rover+ speeds without becoming airborne or having unbelievable speeds.  Mostly, you should expect 20 - 25 m/s surface and 15 -20 m/s submerged.  The thrust curves are set so that at lower ranges (10 m/s) you'll be producing a LOT of thrust.  But by the time you hit 30 m/s, the engines will drastically cut back.  Sorry, jumping, I'll do.  Flying... I'll be making other parts to do just that :wink: 

Do note that 20 m/s is 38.8 knots, which by even modern standards is a really fast ship.  Most modern carriers are rated at 35+ knots top speed.  So, you'll be fast, but not a cigarette boat.

Edited by Fengist

I generally don't play with any mods that don't try and make at least a token appearance at stock-a-like, and I'll admit I've never been a fan of steam punk.....

BUT.....

This.. this...

There might very well just be a place for a very eccentric kerbal billionaire's company to start selling submarine parts the government's air sea space program.

6 hours ago, vardicd said:

I generally don't play with any mods that don't try and make at least a token appearance at stock-a-like, and I'll admit I've never been a fan of steam punk.....

BUT.....

This.. this...

There might very well just be a place for a very eccentric kerbal billionaire's company to start selling submarine parts the government's air sea space program.

Oh, you better get your sights on a market larger than just submarines...

NOTICE

Sometime tomorrow, I will be releasing the first beta of 1869 to the public.

Notification of such will be placed in THIS THREAD.

Now, that does not mean that the work on 1869 is finished or that there#comment-2703370's nothing left to do.  It merely means this will no longer be a work in progress but a work in actuality and rather than maintain 2 threads (a WIP and a release) I'll be asking that this thread be closed and I'll be handling everything in the release thread.

No... there's plenty of ideas rummaging around in my head. And to give you an idea of just how far off base I'm willing to go:

JVh9QIv.png

Edited by Fengist

This. Is. Awesome.

Why did I not think of this already? (I probably did but forgot).

I think there is something related to this on Atomic Rockets but I can't seem to find it.

Actually is was here on these very forums:

Edited by RocketSquid

1 hour ago, RocketSquid said:

This. Is. Awesome.

Why did I not think of this already? (I probably did but forgot).

I think there is something related to this on Atomic Rockets but I can't seem to find it.

Actually is was here on these very forums:

Actually, Kerb-fu already has a steampunk mod here

And Greg is an alpha tester :wink:

Thanks guys,

7 hours ago, GDJ said:

Fengist, you need to get paid for your work. Seriously.

Like most modders, I do gladly accept donations.  You can find links direct to my PayPal via the Maritime Pack image in my signature.

Release has been delayed for a bit due to unforeseen circumstances.  So, to keep you interested:

Seamless (or mostly so) canvas wings in 2 sizes (1x1 and 1x2) along with 3 form fitting wing tips, round, square and 'Albatross'

c6iTTi0.png

from front to rear:

1x1 + 1x2 + Albatross tip

1x2 + square tip

1x1 + round tip

Oh, and before you get all excited, the aviation stuff won't be in the initial release.  I'll be a later release and, like this one, have gobs of parts (I hope).

Edited by Fengist

The aviation parts look amazing! Granted, I can fly an aeroplane almost as well as a jellyfish can tapdance. But that won't stop me from trying.

On 6 August, 2016 at 2:06 PM, Fengist said:

Thanks guys,

Like most modders, I do gladly accept donations.  You can find links direct to my PayPal via the Maritime Pack image in my signature.

Release has been delayed for a bit due to unforeseen circumstances.  So, to keep you interested:

Seamless (or mostly so) canvas wings in 2 sizes (1x1 and 1x2) along with 3 form fitting wing tips, round, square and 'Albatross'

c6iTTi0.png

from front to rear:

1x1 + 1x2 + Albatross tip

1x2 + square tip

1x1 + round tip

Oh, and before you get all excited, the aviation stuff won't be in the initial release.  I'll be a later release and, like this one, have gobs of parts (I hope).

My good sir, though your quaint notion of fixed-wing flight is laudable, I'm certain you must agree the future of air travel is in the ornithopter. How could a mere fixed wing compare to its majestic flapping motion, or even the unpowered rotary wing of the autogyro! (Seriously though, looks really nice. Good work!)

1 hour ago, BigFatStupidHead said:

My good sir, though your quaint notion of fixed-wing flight is laudable, I'm certain you must agree the future of air travel is in the ornithopter. How could a mere fixed wing compare to its majestic flapping motion, or even the unpowered rotary wing of the autogyro! (Seriously though, looks really nice. Good work!)

You forgot one. The Archimedes Screw, but I'm reserving it for hydrodynamic propulsion.

Trust me, Galileo's work is currently under feasibility review.  We're trying to decipher the validity of his quote - "eppur si muove"

1869 Beta 1 Released. Enjoy.

Please take all conversations to that thread.  I'll ask that this one be closed in the next few days.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I hope you enjoy the results.

Edited by Fengist

Greetings my good friend @Fengist :) the catalyst into my insanity that is the land train... that oddly..overtook their railbound sisters recently in preference hobby wise, sorry I havent dropped by yet.. I owe you a great gratitude, as it was your elcano challenge that gave life and purpose to the legend that grew around experimental land trains..  into a life of their own beyond my wildest imagination.. Rest assured ive not stopped my challenge but rather put it in a siding while I work on a dedicated land train :)

Your recent trainified creations are a beautiful thing :) ive not tried them yet but rest assured they'll have a good home on the KTP.. I never got the chance to drive your paddlewheeler.. is she compatable with current KSP? 

they remind me alot of the dotto/Kotto train whimsicalness.. the original company of the land train... while im hoping to model my own in the near future.. perhaps I can leave this here for some inspiration for yourself in the meantime? :) any train is a good thing

(please ignore the intro, ive hopefully skipped through it..I dont speak italian.. but they're very proud of what they make.. its one of the most.. Kerbal thoughts that trains such as these can in the near future find a place on kerbin :)

in basic operation the later models seem to be diesel constant generator electric drive, easily achieved in KSP :)

Edited by Overland

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.