Can someone tell me what they think of my model?

Looks great!

I might recommend reducing the polygon count on your engine bell, it doesn't need that many sides. 24 sides is a great start for more prominent things and can be decreased as you get into more detail. For example the sphere that some pipes lead into. When you smooth the object, the faces wont appear much if at all. You should also separate things into different objects. The engine bell should be a different part from the top of the engine. The spheres should be two different parts. The different pipes would be different objects. I'm sure there is more to say, but I can't think of anything right now. Great first model! 

If you want, I could make an engine similar to this with the improvements as an example and send it to you.

It is always nice to see someone relatively new to 3D modeling starting to get the hang of it. However, from an engineering standpoint, the engine does not make all that much sense. You have two of what looks to be feedlines going into the turbopump exhaust manifold. That would never happen in real life. Engines that filter the fuel around the engine nozzle to keep the nozzle temperature down only uses one feedline. Also those spheres you've got there, I can only assume those are some old-school start cartridges of some sort. Firstly, they would never be mounted on the exhaust manifold, secondly they would either be mounted somewhere on the upper engine structure or on the aft bulkhead on the fuel tank the engine is attached to.

I don't mean to be too harsh here, but seeing as your engine is meant for Realism Overhaul, it should follow a realistic engine design, right? I recommend you take a look at how other KSP modders who have made realistic engine made them and draw some inspiration from those for your engine(s).

Here is a Sketchfab model of Blue Origins BE-4 engine by @liquidhype

And here is a Sketchfab model of SpaceX's Merlin 1C engine by @Kartoffelkuchen

It's still a W.I.P. This engine's point is just to look cool and now i am working on refining it, @heliobyte. Thanks for the offer, Sgt. Shutsie! i would appreciate it if you did, but you don't have to.

EDIT:

Hi guys, i am working on your recommendations and an updated model will be up tomorrow. 

Edited by LordOfMinecraft99
Nothing much

Re: your last sketchfab upload - you can merge the faces of the inside of the engine bell into a single point and move it up, a simple cone is more than sufficient.

As @heliobyte said, there's no reason for an engine this simple to have that many polys. A design like this, I would say shoot for even 1k - leaves wiggle room for additional details.

I would use a... idk what to call them, I don't have a program in front of me. Right now you have spheres made out of triangular facets. You want it to be made out of latitude/longitude type divisions.

lol i should have looked at the tri-count..... :blush:

BTW one of those spheres is for the TEATB/start canister, but the others are supposed to be for cold-gas thrusters for pitch/yaw control which i am currently trying to add in. I am having trouble on adding circular faces in rectangular faces for my thrusters. I don't even know if blender even has that feature......

I am having trouble with UV mapping, i dont know if i should use Smart UV or lightmap pack or what.....

12 minutes ago, LordOfMinecraft99 said:

lol i should have looked at the tri-count..... :blush:

BTW one of those spheres is for the TEATB/start canister, but the others are supposed to be for cold-gas thrusters for pitch/yaw control which i am currently trying to add in. I am having trouble on adding circular faces in rectangular faces for my thrusters. I don't even know if blender even has that feature......

I am having trouble with UV mapping, i dont know if i should use Smart UV or lightmap pack or what.....

You go to the seams for the islands you want, mark them, and then when you mark the whole object, hit U and then select unwrap.

Made that model as an example. Only 1,670 faces, which I'm sure could have been reduced if the tubes I made didn't have so many faces. Good example on how to separate things into different objects and on smoothing and actual engine design. https://www.dropbox.com/s/84l3a2m7sq112de/Engine Helping .blend?dl=0

Edited by Sgt.Shutesie

As a modder, I love to have my ego massaged, but I also want the truth.

The design looks good.  Four problems I saw.

1.  in the box on the top, it looks like you have multiple planes overlapping.  Where the box flickers, that's usually what that indicates.  That may be sketchfab.
  2. There's a gap between your two cones on top.  Consider deleting the big one, extruding the small one then scaling it up to the size you want.
  3. Again, not sure if this is sketchfab but your pipes look nice and smooth, your spheres look like golf balls.  In the moddeling software I use, I can change the edge hardness.  Before you put it in unity, you might want to make sure the spheres are set to smooth.
  4. Not sure if this is intentional but you have a couple of pipes not joined together in the middle.  Trust me, people will examine your work closely.

Don't forget to do an extrude back up inside your engine to make it look hollow.

Otherwise, better than I did for my first mod.   My advice, take your time, get it right the first time.  Make sure YOU are happy with it and to hell with anyone who, like me, will pick it apart.

Sorry, you asked for an opinion.

Learning how to uv map is the key to big models. For example, in Wings, the software I use, I can color code things to unwrap.  Like your cones on top.  I'll code every other face the same color.  That way, when I do unwrap, instead of a giant circle, I have one triangular shape and I can stack them all on top of each other.

O.K, i will work on it. as i said, my real problem is UV mapping. The maps for the pipes have so many faces, it looks like just solid black.

EDIT: I want the balls up to to look hexagonal

7 hours ago, Fengist said:

Not sure if this is intentional but you have a couple of pipes not joined together in the middle.  Trust me, people will examine your work closely.

I have been looking all over the engine and i honestly can't find where. :huh: 

Edited by LordOfMinecraft99

3 hours ago, LordOfMinecraft99 said:

O.K, i will work on it. as i said, my real problem is UV mapping. The maps for the pipes have so many faces, it looks like just solid black.

EDIT: I want the balls up to to look hexagonal

I have been looking all over the engine and i honestly can't find where. :huh: 

The pipe coming out of the box and down. Where it connects at the ring.

Can't help you with Blender.  I hate it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.