N70

[INDEV] EUROPA - A new life support mod

Recommended Posts

Essential Universal Resources for Onboard Provisioning Arrangements

or simply, EUROPA. Honestly I just had to find an excuse to name the mod "EUROPA".

 

EUROPA is designed to be easy to use, but a challenge, too. It will, at release, have lots of life support stuff. Here's a planned features list:

- Food, Water, and Oxygen: Kerbals need all 3 to actually, you know, live. Or, well, they die. Or go MIA. Or just take a long nap. Depending on your config.

- Crew Happiness: Depending on their living space, free space, and resource availability, the crew will either be happy or be stressed. If a crew is stressed too long, well, just don't let Jeb handle the silly string if he's stressed.

- Radiation: Space is the home of radiation. Radiation isn't healthy for ANYTHING. Kerbals aren't exempted. Expose your crew to too much radiation, well, bad things happen. But don't worry, you can shield all your pods, one way or another!

- Greenhouses: Well, duh. You need to grow food for those LONGGGG Missions to, say, Jool, or Sarnus. Harvest every so many days, light makes em' grow faster, and oh yeah, you can choose different plants to grow when you make the vessel. Potatoes, lettuce, pygmy apple trees (yes those exist on Kerbin!), or tomatoes. Each has their own growth time and harvest size.

- DeepFreeze support: If you freeze a kerbal, guess what, they don't need to eat, drink, or breath, BECAUSE THEY'RE A BLOCK OF ICE.

- Food/Water rations: If food and water start getting low, and you can't or can't afford to deepfreeze them, you can tell them to ration! They will not like the rations one bit, but they'll still do the rations.

 

Download: this mod is currently in development, but you can check out the source!

Source: github

 

(also, i'm looking for modelers)

Edited by N70

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this sounds a lot like Kerbalism with a dash of TACLS. That's not a bad thing (both are very good mods), and I'm not saying you shouldn't pursue it, but I'm not seeing a "unique" selling point here.

To borrow an idea that USI-LS has: allow the player to define "veteran" status to certain kerbals with the ability to determine different affects of supply loss on them. For example, you could have supply/food loss outright kill a white suit, but only make an orange suit into a tourist or go MIA.

Again, not a unique feature, but no one has expanded upon that, or combined it with a TACLS style resource combination. I think that would lend itself well to the crew happiness/morale type thing you are looking at.

Ration idea sounds interesting. Maybe have it give you a reputation hit or somehow decrease the kerbals effectiveness (less time for eva, less science boosts, reduced skill levels etc).

Cheers, and good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It will be interesting to see what direction this mod will be heading. One thing I would like to know is what is it's intended realism. Will it forgiving when you run out of water or will Kerbals die?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Deimos Rast said:

this sounds a lot like Kerbalism with a dash of TACLS. That's not a bad thing (both are very good mods), and I'm not saying you shouldn't pursue it, but I'm not seeing a "unique" selling point here.

To borrow an idea that USI-LS has: allow the player to define "veteran" status to certain kerbals with the ability to determine different affects of supply loss on them. For example, you could have supply/food loss outright kill a white suit, but only make an orange suit into a tourist or go MIA.

Again, not a unique feature, but no one has expanded upon that, or combined it with a TACLS style resource combination. I think that would lend itself well to the crew happiness/morale type thing you are looking at.

Ration idea sounds interesting. Maybe have it give you a reputation hit or somehow decrease the kerbals effectiveness (less time for eva, less science boosts, reduced skill levels etc).

Cheers, and good luck.

I was thinking BadS kerbals (Jeb/Valentina) would be unaffected by happiness and stress. Good idea for rations costing reputation or temporary reducing skills/science. It's aimed to be similar to Kerbalism, while also going it's own direction. For radiation, I plan to add... well.. all sorts of shielding, like plasma shields (late in the techtree, generate lots of heat and take up good amounts of power, but keeps the most radiation out), lead lining (heavy, keeps small-moderate amounts of radiation out). The plasma shield would have to be directly connected to a pod to work with it. Also, one thing I do not like about Kerbalism: It tends to break certain other mods, because I heard it overrides some stock modules/converters. I plan, for many mechanics in this mod, to give the player multiples choices for stuff. Use normal food, which moderatly keeps kerbals full, or enriched food, which very slightly decreases happiness because of the bad taste, but keeps kerbals good and full? Just dump all the CO2, or use a CO2 scrubber, and risk the scrubber not being too fast and killing the kerbals from CO2 poisoning? Greenhouses? Want to grow potatoes, lettuce, apples, or tomatoes? Bigger harvest size but longer grow time? Or smaller harvest size but shorter grow time? Moderate harvest size and moderate growth time, but high mass? To freeze or not to freeze?

57 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

It will be interesting to see what direction this mod will be heading. One thing I would like to know is what is it's intended realism. Will it forgiving when you run out of water or will Kerbals die?

Depends on the config. By default, well, your kerbals will die. But I plan to add config options to just make kerbals either, A. become tourists until more stuff comes, or B. become MIA

Edited by N70

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it would be interesting if you could factor in a kerbals Stupidity and Bravery. Every character trait should somehow affect their perforamce. An inteligen Kerbal for example might somehow survive longer where due to inginety, while stupid Kerbers will contunie longer before the start to pretest. Brave kerbals will be more willingto do dangerour stuff like going for a space walk wile low on fuel and Not so brave kerbals will panik faster but try to everything to saves their lives...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FreeThinker said:

I think it would be interesting if you could factor in a kerbals Stupidity and Bravery. Every character trait should somehow affect their perforamce. An inteligen Kerbal for example might somehow survive longer where due to inginety, while stupid Kerbers will contunie longer before the start to pretest. Brave kerbals will be more willingto do dangerour stuff like going for a space walk wile low on fuel and Not so brave kerbals will panik faster but try to everything to saves their lives...

Maybe a stupid kerbal is more happy but more likely to break something, and a brave kerbals have slightly increased survival time but have a little bit less happiness

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, N70 said:

Maybe a stupid kerbal is more happy but more likely to break something, and a brave kerbals have slightly increased survival time but have a little bit less happiness

Yes, you get my drift. Kerbals every Kerbal should be slightly differnt from the rest. This could make some ntresting choices when selecting the best kerbal(s) for the mission

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you really want to dig into the "every kerbal different" you could check out the Kerbal Stats mod, used by EPL. That way you could bring in the whole "training" aspect - born stupid but the best "trained" (most flight time, etc) pilot there ever was. Or something.

Also, RosterManager might be something to look into, but it's early alpha.

I think if you take it in this direction, (nature/nurture) you'd have your work cut out for you, but it'd be pretty unique.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.