Video Wednesday: Fengist IS BACK!

SQUAD

tumblr_inline_oaze7kRjIY1rr2wit_540.jpg

The return of a great modder! This mod is about boats, Fengist is the boss of Maritime Pack and is back at it with Catapaults and a revamped balancing ballast system! by Jatwaa #KSP

I enjoyed the video. Regarding Multiplayer Version: Since there are Console versions of KSP, Multiplayer would not be far behind, since many of the consoles can be linked. This is done with such games as Halo. I would prefer this type where you could link with your friend rather than random people. With linked consoles, you could also have the option of modding and sharing mods. There was an early version of Multiplayer which I tried but could not use with mods. Since I use MacJeb and Kerbal Engineer alot, this was quite restricting. One problem with Random Multiplayer is that the players are at different places in the history of the game. Some might be highly advanced or aggressive while others are just newbies. Even the PC version would be good if you could link with specific players.

Mulitiplayer is a fanciful but unrealistic idea for KSP.

The distances and time travelling make the idea infeasible as someone would be spending a lot of time waiting for other players so that time-warp could be activated. Suggestions have been made to deal with this but none are really workable.

If you have several players all existing in different time zones then interaction is not possible between them. This makes playing in the same game pointless.

Then there are the multiplayer community members themselves. Many of them are truly evil.

They spend a great deal of time and effort just to find a way onto a server and get into a game. A game where the current players may have spent weeks or months getting stations or bases in place. They would then take great pleasure in destroying the work of other players.

From the moment that developers start to make a game multiplayer all that the players can do is whinge and moan that this isn't working or that isn't fast enough and go into detail about how low a level of life form they feel the developers are.

You would be able to forget about other updates and improving the game in other areas as one thus path is taken there will be no joy until it is done. It will never be done.

Then there are the KSP players. The vast majority are uncommonly decent and civil to each other. They like to help each other.

Most by far do not even want mulitiplayer.

Some like myself may play a version where connection is direct on a local network. Where we can play with our real friends in the real world.

On the whole though, I think most of us are happy being able to et away from our friends, families and of course our jobs for a while for some quality alone time. Why oh why would anyone want to change that?

On 7/30/2016 at 11:36 AM, Maltman said:

multiplayer ksp would be so awesome though. imagine all the epic battles and colliding your ships into eachother 

This is precisely the reason why Multiplayer KSP is a bad idea. Build your own ships if you want to crash into something. Local networks might be OK where players can work in a co-operative manner, but not on a WAN where one person is trying to destroy the hard work of others.

On 7/31/2016 at 7:16 PM, Hands MCML said:

This is precisely the reason why Multiplayer KSP is a bad idea. Build your own ships if you want to crash into something. Local networks might be OK where players can work in a co-operative manner, but not on a WAN where one person is trying to destroy the hard work of others.

Your definition of LAN and WAN is faulty.  My little brother, his wife, and my little sister play on a vanilla minecraft server I run from my apartment.  Its whitelisted, so we are the only ones.  We have no issues with griefing.  I wouldn't expect KSP to be any different.  However, from a technical standpoint, it's a Wide Area Network.   They each play from their own houses.

I don't expect a KSP MMO here, but some simple multiplayer implementations would be fun for a lot of us.  Those that wouldn't enjoy it wouldn't need to play it.  Fortunately Squad has already committed to this, we don't have a timetable and I don't expect it soon given the horrendous state of 1.1, but we know it is coming.

I know that my use of WAN and LAN were not technically correct, I just was implying that if the Players in a Multi-Player game had control of who could access the game, they could keep out those who wish to cause mischief. The trouble with some multi-player games is that anyone can join. I have played some where an individual or small group would try to dominate the game and eliminate everyone else. These soon became unplayable.

18 hours ago, Hands MCML said:

I know that my use of WAN and LAN were not technically correct, I just was implying that if the Players in a Multi-Player game had control of who could access the game, they could keep out those who wish to cause mischief. The trouble with some multi-player games is that anyone can join. I have played some where an individual or small group would try to dominate the game and eliminate everyone else. These soon became unplayable.

Very few games exist where the server operator doesn't at least have a little control.  The afore mentioned Minecraft is one of the worst in that regard and it has a vanilla whitelist/blacklist function.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.