help making animated doors

MichaelV2.0

i have recently been trying to produce a cargo bay with two sets of opening doors but the animations are just not working. the animation works fine in blender but not in unity.

issue 1

when parts with animation is imported into unity from blender it has too many clips, where each part is followed by 3 or 4 actions

unity animation tab for parts

issue 2

when i do get an animation working only one of the parts actually is animated

im looking for any advice or help ive spent a day on this and its just not working.

im looking for all 4 doors to open with one gui button (like the defualt cargo bays) and simply put every tutorial online ive found has not helped here i am hoping that someone here will be kind enough to help this lost sole.

Edited by MichaelV2.0

When I made my part in Blender, I exported the model as a .fbx. Then I imported it into blender and set the animation to 'Legacy' and it all worked out fine. I didn't even go near the animation tab or anything. What was your workflow?

Just now, MrMeeb said:

When I made my part in Blender, I exported the model as a .fbx. Then I imported it into blender and set the animation to 'Legacy' and it all worked out fine. I didn't even go near the animation tab or anything. What was your workflow?

i did pretty much the exact same thing, my part contains 8 models but really simple animations, exported it as an .fbx and imported into unity using the legacy setting.

Strange. If it's possible, could you upload your .blend file somewhere? I'm far from experienced (with only one part under my belt!), but it may help to have another set of eyes look at it and try

3 minutes ago, MrMeeb said:

did your part only contain one model?

as this may be the issue, but in this case how do you have the gui "toggle door" activate multiple animated parts in the config?

P.S. sorry if my explination is lacking ive been at this for 8 hrs 

Just now, MichaelV2.0 said:

did your part only contain one model?

as this may be the issue, but in this case how do you have the gui "toggle door" activate multiple animated parts in the config?

P.S. sorry if my explination is lacking ive been at this for 8 hrs 

Not to worry. I flailed around in Unity for a while too.

My part had 7 models in it, and 6 of those had animations

4 minutes ago, MrMeeb said:

Each part had a selection of LocRot keyframes, and I manually positioned the parts using the move tool. I didn't do any form of rigging or use armatures or anything complicated

i did the exact same thing maybe something in one of the programs has changed was it recent?

2 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

I'm having the same issue... I can load one model into Unity, and there is a list of 102 animation clips... for only whats supposed to be  or 3 animations... ??

and yup that would be my exact issue glad too hear its not just me but also sorry too hear its happening to you too.

MrMeeb not all hero's wear capes...

5 minutes ago, MrMeeb said:

When exporting as a .fbx, in the animation tab (bottom left), try unticking everything other than 'Baked Animation' and 'Force Start/End Keying'. I did that, I think

it 100% worked thankyou so much, i kinda feel dumb now... but thankful none the less.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.