Yeahletstrythatdyne Product Line

*** THESE FIRST THREE WERE MADE IN .15.2 *** Look further down for new .16 designs.

First, here\'s the Tutor trainer. I made it when I was learning how to fly and wanted something that would stay in the air long enough for me to figure out how to operate it. If you like nimble fighters, this plane will seem sluggish to you. But for a newbie like me, the good thing is that it doesn\'t flip around violently while manuevering, makes stable, slow turns, and if you make a mistake, it gives you time to figure out what you did wrong and correct it. It\'s actually kind of hard to crash. It will take off by itself if you just turn up the throttle and leave the ASAS turned on, and it\'s stable at low speeds and so is pretty easy to land.

Next up is the F2 Prodigal. He doesn\'t want your help, and he doesn\'t need your help. :D On takeoff, hit the throttle and ASAS and let him find his own way into the air, because he\'ll throw a tantrum and commit suicide by flipping on his side if you try to steer him. Once in the air, he\'s kind of temperamenal, but will more or less do what you tell him to do. But the cool thing is, I\'ve tested him from many altitudes, and he will land himself (assuming the ground below is flat). From level flight, turn off the engine and ASAS, then go get a snack or whatever you want to do while he descends at a level and steady 9 or so m/s, touches down, maybe porpoise-bounces once or twice, and then rolls. All you need do is apply the brake to bring him to a final halt. The Prodigal: you can\'t tell this kid anything, but leave him alone and he\'ll come home.

Finally, there\'s the F1 Pilum. It\'s a little bigger and somewhat more stable and easy to fly than the Prodigal, but is faster. Flies well, but needs kind of a long takeoff run. There\'s nothing really remarkable about it, except that I think it looks kind of cool, and was my first successful plane design. As a wise man once said, 'For me it\'s awesome becouse I made it.'

These are my first planes, and I hope somebody finds them of interest. Most of what\'s good about these planes is to the credit of the very nice people in the how-to and especially 'The woes of building a space-plane' threads. Thanks guys!

Edited by Vanamonde

Thank you for the kind words. I was afraid they were too lame to expose to the public. :D

I forgot to mention the other reason why I thought a trainer would be a good idea. When we get persistent crews, it will be useful, safer, and cheaper to get them some flight experience in a stable airplane as opposed to an expensive rocket. Does anybody know if eventually vehicles will persist as well as crews? By 'persist' I don\'t just mean that they keep going when you\'re not personally flying them, as vehicles do already, but could you leave a plane sitting at KSC after flying it, ready to be re-fueled and re-flown? In that eventuality, re-useable spaceplanes would have a big economic advantage.

man these things are a breeze to fly, i love teh way the 3rd model looks, and it flys like a dream. the middle one is pretty twitchy, but its a fun plane.

the first plane however i have problems with, i think its just a little to sluggish for my tastes, though i like its looks alot.

Yeahletstrythatdyne is back, with more of the finest in mediocre aircraft! Updating my previous designs for .16 are:

The T-4 Mentor Trainer: Newbies can take a nice relaxing orientation flight while the avionics ASAS keeps the plane from flipping around wildly. Taking off is as simple as turning the avionics on and cranking up the throttle, and the plane will get itself airborne by the second set of runway stripes with no intervention required from the pilot. Practice yaw, pitch, and roll in a plane that won\'t rocket into the ground before you can correct, or go into a spin. Once you feel more comfortable, turn the avionics off and it\'s still pretty stable and flyable, but more manueverable.

The F5b Dart is meant to be fun at low altitude (replacling the Pilum). With avionics on it responds in a controlled way that will help you avoid flying into the ground while buzzing the tower, but map the F key (suspend SAS) to your trigger, and you can cut into sharp turns in the midst of more deliberate flight. Apply rudder gently in non-SAS mode, but otherwise the craft responds well in all 3 planes in assisted or unassisted flight.

Both planes are easy to land on unprepared ground, so it doesn\'t matter if you miss the runway. To park (so that it doesn\'t roll away during EVA), retract the landing wheels; this won\'t damage the plane. Pilots may egress and ingress using the ladders. (Remember to extend wheels before attempting takeoff again!)

Edited by Vanamonde

Ladies and Gentlemen, Yeahletstrythatdine proudly presents our most idiotic audacious idea yet: The rocket-launched jet boat!

This miracle of technology was born when our engineers noticed that fuselage pieces often float after sea crashes. They naturally then set out to see if a jet engine could propel such a floating fuselage, because, who hasn\'t wondered that? The first obstacle we encountered is that when the protoype got to the end of the runway, parts would simply frikkin\' rattle off of the damned thing as we tried to roll it across open ground. What to do? What would be the most sensible way to get our vehicle the 3 or so kilometers to the shore? In a flash of insight, the solution was obvious; we\'d strap it to a rocket and blast it there! And so the SP-4 Siren was born.

Flight profile: Upon ignition, apply down-pitch to direct the vehicle toward the ocean. Once safely over water, throttle-off and eject the rocket engines. Then be sure the craft is upright and level before triggering the descent parachutes, or else the shock may cause the stupid engine to fall off despite being bolted down with, like, a million struts. As the moment of splashdown approaches, try to bring the nose up so that the impact doesn\'t cause the stupid engine to fall off, again. The avionics SAS will most likely break off anyway, which we couldn\'t stop even with all the struts that would fit on it as a clever weight-saving measure since you don\'t need it anymore. Once settled on the water, the Siren is amazingly stable and will not roll over. Spin-up the powerplanet, and the Siren\'s powerful jet engine will send it screaming across the water at speeds in excess of 5.5 meters per second! Leaves a majestic rooster tail of wake and jet exhaust and everything. Should your pilot wish to stretch his legs mid-journey, he can emerge from the Siren and swim around, as the built-in ladder is accessible from the water. Passengers may swim up and board the extendable side ladders and cling for dear life. As a bonus, while cruising the Siren sometimes makes a musical tinkling noise, not unlike someone shaking BBs around in a metal can. No, really, it does. (If you figure out why, please tell our engineers.)

That\'s the SP-4b Siren, folks: the most awesome way to travel about 10 kilometers yet invented by Kerbalkind.

Edited by Vanamonde

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.