Show off your drawings! (and other artworks!)

NSEP

8 minutes ago, cubinator said:

Back when we used mechanical keys for our houses

I wonder when the simplicity of operation of a good mechanical lock and key will be supplanted by new technology. Obviously automobiles are doing it already, but the operation of a car is substantially hampered by all the same kinds of things that would disable an electronic interface. Your house, on the other hand, largely functions as a house regardless of whether its electrical power or internet service is interrupted, so it is advantageous for it to be (un)lockable under those conditions. And one would be hard-pressed to beat a padlock for securing a chain-link gate in the middle of nowhere.

1 hour ago, 0111narwhalz said:

I wonder when the simplicity of operation of a good mechanical lock and key will be supplanted by new technology. Obviously automobiles are doing it already, but the operation of a car is substantially hampered by all the same kinds of things that would disable an electronic interface. Your house, on the other hand, largely functions as a house regardless of whether its electrical power or internet service is interrupted, so it is advantageous for it to be (un)lockable under those conditions. And one would be hard-pressed to beat a padlock for securing a chain-link gate in the middle of nowhere.

Yeah, I also think the good old lock and key will not disappear completely, and probably will still be the main way to lock your house in 2070. But I can also see the possibility of a future where some countries or building complexes switch to a standardized digital system. The assumption that people will no longer carry keys around to the point of not knowing what they are is a stretch. The hand, however, I'm certain will be typical for what it is and be almost as dexterous as a biological one, although most people will probably not voluntarily switch quite yet.

2 hours ago, 0111narwhalz said:

Even in electronic systems, unless the door runs off of electromagnets, there is still a mechanical component between the door and it getting open. At least at my school though, we have a card based system for building entry. A bit annoying but you get used to it.

I do agree standard locks and keys are probably going to be here for a while.

I took a break from drawing for some reason. I hope to get back into the swing of things again soon. I was actually pretty decent on paper but I'm still getting back into the swing of things.

Meanwhile, I've been experimenting with different things so I hope I get to post some things here again. (and not just pixel art this time!)

3 minutes ago, Adstriduum said:

I took a break from drawing for some reason. I hope to get back into the swing of things again soon. I was actually pretty decent on paper but I'm still getting back into the swing of things.

Meanwhile, I've been experimenting with different things so I hope I get to post some things here again. (and not just pixel art this time!)

Nice, it's always good to try something new! Your pixel art is always a win, though!

A sketch of a bionic hand and eye:

RDHpvX2.png

I think using a cable system in a bionic hand would reduce complexity by not requiring a motor in every joint - to flex a finger, you would just have a cable pulled rather than three separate motors. It's more like the biological system we normally use, too. You could have a pretty good, human-like dexterity with about 9 or 10 basic motors that way, I think. Two for each finger: one for flexing action, and one that can rotate the finger laterally. You'd need about 15(?) highly accurate nerve action sensors to control it naturally. Touch sensitivity could be implemented as well with more sensors and more nerve interfaces. The mechanical design would be relatively simple, making it would be totally workable with CAD, and you could put anything you can't make it do with your brain on an Arduino or other such small computer in the base. 

As for the eye, it would be a camera, with a computer to convert the image into something to pipe into the optic nerve at the back. It could move around within a little magnetic casing, maybe with little rollers to rotate it based on either nerve impulses (very complicated) or by considering where the other eye is looking (less complicated). Power would be a Li-ion battery on the back of the computer, easily replaceable by removing the eye from it's casing.

Edited by cubinator

On 12/4/2018 at 2:59 AM, cubinator said:

It could move around within a little magnetic casing, maybe with little rollers to rotate it based on either nerve impulses (very complicated) or by considering where the other eye is looking (less complicated).

Probably with these scanning patterns. And stabilization. And tracking.

I guess it's actually easier the other way ?

On 11/27/2018 at 10:33 AM, 0111narwhalz said:

Obviously automobiles are doing it already, but the operation of a car is substantially hampered by all the same kinds of things that would disable an electronic interface.

The electronic keys on my car still has a mechanical backup. Otherwise it'll be very inconvenient when the battery ran out for some reason.

On 11/27/2018 at 10:15 AM, cubinator said:

This is a CD, or Compact Disk. It's not very compact by today's standards, heh!

I wonder, where's Blu-ray ?

• 2 weeks later...

Semi-depressed about my inability to draw... again. I lost count.

I should just stop thinking about it. (Turns out to be very difficult when you have quite a strong imagination and no way to convey it)
Maybe I'll try poetry. That will certainly, certainly work out so much better.

...Or is there anything else that I missed? I don't like "physical" tasks like working with wood - mostly because I have the same problem; I simply can't do that. The same applies to 3D-modelling, by the way.

I need something that I can satisfy my poor self with. Constant negativity is not healthy, as it turns out.

Edited by Delay

3 minutes ago, Delay said:

Semi-depressed about my inability to draw... again. I lost count.

I should just stop thinking about it. (Turns out to be very difficult when you have quite a strong imagination and no way to convey it)
Maybe I'll try poetry. That will certainly, certainly work out so much better.

...Or is there anything else that I missed? I don't like "physical" tasks like working with wood - mostly because I have the same problem; I simply can't do that. The same applies to 3D-modelling, by the way.

I need something that I can satisfy my poor self with. Constant negativity is not healthy, as it turns out.

Poetry sounds like a good thing to try in your case, and I would expand that to writing in general. Perhaps you could try making music, too. Even if you only know the keyboard basics, you don't have to be very dexterous yourself to make good music electronically. 

I think you should start out trying some writing. Poetry, short stories...those are effective ways to share your imagination.

2 minutes ago, Delay said:

I simply can't do that.

What do you mean? You don't have the equipment? Or you don't have the skills? The former takes money (or a lot of time), the latter takes time.

11 minutes ago, Delay said:

I need something that I can satisfy my poor self with.

Other media you might want to explore include paint, words, papercraft, clay sculpting, photography, programming… Most of them have relatively low entry costs, with the possible exception of painting.

8 minutes ago, 0111narwhalz said:

What do you mean? You don't have the equipment? Or you don't have the skills?

Both.

8 minutes ago, 0111narwhalz said:

paint, words, papercraft, clay sculpting, photography, programming…

Okay...

Paint: Falls in the same category as drawing in my opinion.
Words: Ugh...
Papercraft: Maybe? 3D-puzzles count, right? In that case: Already doing it, though I've taken a... bit of a pause from that. Reason: lack of time management.
Clay sculpting: Physical task; can't be done.
Photography: I'd love to. Two problems here, though: Number one is that there's nothing to photograph and number two is that I know nothing about photography.
Programming: Unless we're talking about payloads of really old DOS viruses I don't see how programming involves any creativity.

Edited by Delay
Not only can I not draw; I also can't proofread.

Just now, Delay said:

Physical task; con't be done.

I don't understand this categorical dismissal of "physical tasks." A glob of clay isn't that expensive, and you won't be good at things to begin with.

2 minutes ago, Delay said:

Programming: Unless we're talking about payloads of really old DOS viruses I don't see how programming involves any creativity.

That's only because you haven't done it creatively. Writing a great algorithm requires at least as much creativity as hardcore calculus. You have to figure things out, make intuitive leaps, push the boundraries of your knowledge and the machine's performance. More conventionally, you could write stuff for a game or something, which is most definitely a creative process.

4 minutes ago, Delay said:

Photography: I'd love to.

Then do! If you don't have a phone with a camera, pick up a cheapo point and shoot.

5 minutes ago, Delay said:

Paint: Falls in the same category as drawing in my opinion.

That's fair. Still, it might be worth a shot if you just can't get the thing in your head down with a pencil.

6 minutes ago, Delay said:

Words: Ugh...

They're not for everybody, but they might be worth a shot. At the very least you can describe the things you imagine so that you don't forget them by the time you stop feeling crappy about your art skills.

Who knows, maybe you'll jostle something loose and regain your confidence.

47 minutes ago, 0111narwhalz said:

I don't understand this categorical dismissal of "physical tasks."

I'm just terrible at handling anything. Be it clay, wood, or anything else.
Why should I put money into something I know I can't do?

Edited by Delay

1 hour ago, Delay said:

Why should I put money into something I know I can't do?

This edit came after my first reply.

A blob of clay is not expensive. And you don't even need anything fancy to deal with clay, unless you plan to fire it—and if you're as absolutely terrible as you think, you won't need to fire anything! Clay being clay, you'll also be able to cannabalize all your early attempts with little to no cost to the condition of the material.

It is drawing that I really want to do, I'm just lacking motivation to begin anew after literally years of failure and no satisfactory result, ever.
It's predictable: Try, fail, take a break, try, fail, take a break, try, fail, ...

So I guess the real problem is that I should really just stop worrying about it, yet can't because it's something I really want to be able to do. "I can't draw" isn't an assertion; it's a conclusion.
And strangely, drawing is the only task I have this problem in. I wouldn't say that I absolutely suck at programming to the point at which I'd uninstall any IDE the computer may have installed at the moment and leave it at that - and I'm only doing that for a few months. Not years!

Edited by Delay

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.