Show off your drawings! (and other artworks!)

NSEP

On 12/30/2018 at 10:54 AM, MDZhB said:

Extra points if you know who she is!

I dont know her name (forget about it), but this looks like something about Touhou, if I'm not mistaken

On the other hand, I draw some stuff

qnlJyd2.jpg

63Aji8D.jpg

sup' it's been such a while :| but never that far never that close, still around via some others media than the forum

totally out of boredom, some more or less funny fake news

Spoiler

bsDanMd.jpg

Edited by WinkAllKerb''
wut, no politics, meeehhhh

Obviously drawing is not something you learn over night.
Would anyone be willing to share their first - or at least, one of their first - drawings?

Totally not to make me feel better about myself. Actually, thinking about it, there are good reasons, too. Comparison to today, for instance!

4 minutes ago, Delay said:

Would anyone be willing to share their first - or at least, one of their first - drawings?

Totally not to make me feel better about myself. Actually, thinking about it, there are good reasons, too. Comparison to today, for instance!

Oh boy. I'll have to go way back...

2 hours ago, Delay said:

I hope you are not in full digestion, because it is going to spin your stomach (and to burn your eyes):

Spoiler

c61bdf2.jpg?1

Some (or several?) hours later that's what it gave:

Spoiler

TIE6bI6.jpg

Somewhat better than the first, but still awful. Let's say a roll of toilet paper turned into a towel.

6 hours ago, Delay said:

-snip-

Oh boy.

I don't have any of my first drawings because I lost them but I do have early digital drawings from 3-4 years or so ago when I started trying to get better at it. Here's one of those early ones:

v9Q2aFf.png

Here's a recent one for comparison:

U4cT0fq.png

I guess the sketchy line style stuck with me since I started drawing, but the drawings itself became more refined and perspective and proportions improved somewhat.  Things like color, line quality and shading you can only really learn to use well if you practice, which is why if you want to get better at drawing you need to try to draw a lot, even if its just simple quick doodles.

I've definitely drawn hundreds of things to get to where I am and it's been a fun ride :P

Edited by HazelPine

If you have been hanging around on the SpaceXlounge for a few days, you might have seen this painting, and hey i made it, and although i don't like it, im still proud!

starhopper_by_zanzalur_dcwtaof-pre.jpg

Version with ice:

starhopper__iced__by_zanzalur_dcwpja7-pr

Also:

soviet_atomic_rocket_by_zanzalur_dcwsuzo

An improvement of this drawing i made a day ago:

dcwtaub-8a702bc0-c698-44c8-a862-f1c8ac1e

21 hours ago, XB-70A said:

I hope you are not in full digestion, because it is going to spin your stomach (and to burn your eyes):

Well... my comment backfired. Massively.
That actually looks incredibly good.

Much better than anything I've brought onto paper in 8 years and approximately 32 discrete attempts*.
*"Attempt" describes a set of drawings close in time, not just one.

Edited by Delay

23 hours ago, Delay said:

Ooh yes!

improvement2_by_zanzalur_dcwtc2i-pre.jpg

The drawing above is the oldest drawing i could find that i made myself, made back when i was a toddler. I redrew them when i got my drawing tablet.

The 'i drew all my life' argument really isn't valid when it comes to how experienced some is with drawing. The only advantage you have drawing all your life over any other person is that you have a little bit of confidence. I don't know how to explain this, but younger children just draw, they put a pencil on a piece of paper and scribble away, straight from their imagination, they don't want to learn to make it any better, they just want to draw and have fun. Heck, i was drawing the same stickmen for 10 years of my entire life. When i got older and start to take drawing a bit more seriously, i realized that my art was childish, and i had to improve. The moment when you realize you need to improve and make your art better is the beginning of the real deal.

2 hours ago, NSEP said:

The 'i drew all my life' argument really isn't valid when it comes to how experienced some is with drawing. The only advantage you have drawing all your life over any other person is that you have a little bit of confidence. I don't know how to explain this, but younger children just draw, they put a pencil on a piece of paper and scribble away, straight from their imagination, they don't want to learn to make it any better, they just want to draw and have fun. Heck, i was drawing the same stickmen for 10 years of my entire life. When i got older and start to take drawing a bit more seriously, i realized that my art was childish, and i had to improve. The moment when you realize you need to improve and make your art better is the beginning of the real deal.

I have spent most of my life never drawing humans. I was always really bad at humans, but I could do things like planets, mountainscapes, and mechanical things all right so I drew a lot of those. Only in the past year or so, I decided to experiment a little with people and faces. So what if they turn out a little goofy? I can start simple and eventually be able to articulate more and more complex ideas.

2 hours ago, NSEP said:

The 'i drew all my life' argument really isn't valid when it comes to how experienced some is with drawing.

I just wanted to describe that even after drawing for 50% of my life I still can't do anything right in drawing.
Meanwhile I understand and am able to learn C just fine.

What is wrong with me.

47 minutes ago, Delay said:

I just wanted to describe that even after drawing for 50% of my life I still can't do anything right in drawing.
Meanwhile I understand and am able to learn C just fine.

What is wrong with me.

Nothing.

Art isn’t for everyone. Neither is programming. It’s different depending on the individual.

11 hours ago, Bill Phil said:

Art isn’t for everyone.

This is just confusing now.

It seems like basically any artist - I know, best people to unbiasedly look at the subject, right? - is of the firm belief that literally "anyone can learn to draw". You hear that everywhere - on websites or blogs and in basically every single YouTube video aimed at people like me who firmly believe the opposite. By the way: I feel misrepresented in every single one of them. It's an exercise in strawmanning, not in drawing.

They make out drawing as something really simple that just takes time to learn. It isn't. First off, there is no way that an objective difficulty can be set for anything, including drawing.
Secondly how much time am I supposed to spend? 1 year? 2 years? 4? A decade? 2? Perhaps even 7?
Added on the 8 years I already have, mind you.

At some point it should become pretty clear that any future attempt is futile. I'm long past this point.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.