Show off your drawings! (and other artworks!)

NSEP

1 hour ago, Delay said:

This is just confusing now.

It seems like basically any artist - I know, best people to unbiasedly look at the subject, right? - is of the firm belief that literally "anyone can learn to draw". You hear that everywhere - on websites or blogs and in basically every single YouTube video aimed at people like me who firmly believe the opposite. By the way: I feel misrepresented in every single one of them. It's an exercise in strawmanning, not in drawing.

They make out drawing as something really simple that just takes time to learn. It isn't. First off, there is no way that an objective difficulty can be set for anything, including drawing.
Secondly how much time am I supposed to spend? 1 year? 2 years? 4? A decade? 2? Perhaps even 7?
Added on the 8 years I already have, mind you.

At some point it should become pretty clear that any future attempt is futile. I'm long past this point.

I feel like the best description of the timeframe is not the years that you've been drawing because people tend to consider a year as drawn even if they only draw as a hobby, on weekends, such that the actual base of work doesn't add up much. While I can't concretly say how much work you put in, there is a rule of thumb for "mastery", or rather achieved skill: 10 000 hours. That's ten thousand hours of PRACTICE! It's a huuuuuuge investment. Now even before that you'll likely be above average in your chosen skill, but a rule of thumb to think when you're likely to have "learned" drawing is that. That's a ton, and that 10 000 hours is grueling, boring study work (anatomy, perspective, composition, boxes, value, forshortening, boxes, boxes, and more boxes), but it's what's necessary. I'm not even close, but I also don't claim that I'm learning much, I do this for self expression mostly.

Edited by SirCrackWaffle
I said a bad word and it's bad (also other)

1 hour ago, Delay said:

This is just confusing now.

It seems like basically any artist - I know, best people to unbiasedly look at the subject, right? - is of the firm belief that literally "anyone can learn to draw". You hear that everywhere - on websites or blogs and in basically every single YouTube video aimed at people like me who firmly believe the opposite. By the way: I feel misrepresented in every single one of them. It's an exercise in strawmanning, not in drawing.

They make out drawing as something really simple that just takes time to learn. It isn't. First off, there is no way that an objective difficulty can be set for anything, including drawing.
Secondly how much time am I supposed to spend? 1 year? 2 years? 4? A decade? 2? Perhaps even 7?
Added on the 8 years I already have, mind you.

At some point it should become pretty clear that any future attempt is futile. I'm long past this point.

I would say that anyone can understand art. But actually drawing/making art is another matter. For example, I have pretty bad hand-eye coordination, so drawing doesn’t really work for me.

Of course you could use modern software tools and probably get pretty decent. Even Paint offers up some fairly advanced tools, but there are more advanced ones. Most have the ability to create complex curves. I myself can’t draw but I’ve been able to make some decent stuff using this handy feature.

4 hours ago, SirCrackWaffle said:

there is a rule of thumb for "mastery", or rather achieved skill: 10 000 hours.

e3ff4VT.png

Fun times are ahead.
2500 days drawing in every single free millisecond that I have.

The 20 hours are comprised of:
- 7 1/2 hours sleep
- 8 hours school
- 1 hour homework
- 1/2 hour practicing on the keyboard (might be increased as 30 minutes isn't really much)
- 3 hours learning C.
I might have forgotten some things as well. However, the only way those number can go is towards 24.

And that's assuming that I have nothing else planned for the day! Which isn't the case on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday!
That may be compensated by Saturday and Sunday, but I highly doubt that.

Edited by Delay

@Delay, drawing sometimes doesn't kick off as well with some people, and thats normal. Im not the biggest expert but i can give you tips.

I haven't seen your drawings so i don't know what exact tips to give you. If you maybe can post a drawing i can give you tips.

6 hours ago, HazelPine said:

This drawing is awesome, i love the hatch shading!

Thanks! I shamelessly stole my art style from Chris Riddell's fantastic illustrations in the Edge Chronicles books. Illustrations like this:

Spoiler

latest?cb=20141113200308

(Although it goes without saying that my style is way less precise and sophisticated, and I use it for replicating realistic things rather than creating new ones!)

8 minutes ago, Delay said:

*last three posts are from you*

It's okay. You can slow down.

Hmmm...maybe I should. I draw pretty quickly, I think mostly because I rarely have the patience to work on a project for more than about 2 hours. So a drawing is something I do in a single go, otherwise it may sit half-finished for weeks. I'm capable of putting out a really high volume of doodles that may not be breathtaking, but get the point across.

That orange planet was made entirely in about 45 minutes.

Half.

HALF!?

In comparison: Here's something I made in Blender that's nowhere near done, will never be done, and sucks [I am not allowed to use a fitting word here]!
RVvNvrl.png

That, by the way, is the upper half of the table I'm actually using right now, along with my primary monitor.
I do not have the patience, nor the motivation, to model everything that I have on my table - mouse, keyboard, speakers, microphone, lamp and 5 rubik's cubes, just to name a few.

And if that wasn't enough, I'll gladly make it even worse: None of these things are textured. These are just material colors.

Edited by Delay

46 minutes ago, Delay said:

Half.

HALF!?

The most instruction i've had in blender is random youtube tutorials every now and then. I've just been very persistent in learning it, although it takes forever for me to do anything in blender. I'm still a noob in it

49 minutes ago, HazelPine said:

The most instruction i've had in blender is random youtube tutorials every now and then. I've just been very persistent in learning it, although it takes forever for me to do anything in blender. I'm still a noob in it

Check to see if your local library has  a subscription to Lynda.com. There are several very good Blender tutorials that are made by folks skilled in creating on-line tutorials.

https://www.lynda.com/Blender-training-tutorials/164-0.html

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.