Show off your drawings! (and other artworks!)

NSEP

16 hours ago, cubinator said:

You can imagine those images over the paper, and then trace them.

If it would be so easy I don't think I'd have problems at all.

Infact I've already tried that at it didn't help one bit.

19 hours ago, Delay said:

A little update on the skills of yours truly: Yep; still can't draw. At all. I've honestly stopped trying now.

The problem is that I do have ideas for some drawings I would consider as "beautiful" or "good (enough)", but that's subjective and beside the point. I have these images in my brain and I can't get rid of them, I really want to draw them, but I can't.

And when I do try, it just looks ugly. And I'm not even expecting anything from myself at this point. My expectations are literally 0 and I still manage to disappoint myself.

If i want to draw something, but it still looks ugly, i try to study all the things that i think look wrong, step by step. I had problems with anatomy for example, so i tried to look at examples of real people, 'dismantle' them like i did in my last post, and use that as a reference for anatomy. It worked! Have you tried that?

One thing that does not work, for me at least, is trying to draw things over and over again without any references. You can't draw things straight from memory, unless you have drawn the thing a multiple times already, and even then, memory deteriorates over time, making it more different from the original every single time.

If you want to draw something from memory, try looking for references of the details, since there is no way you can find the exact same image on the internet. Do it piece by piece. Also try to experiment with different techniques and do a 'convergent evolution' kind of thing when experimenting.

Edited by NSEP

31 minutes ago, Delay said:

If it would be so easy I don't think I'd have problems at all.

Infact I've already tried that at it didn't help one bit.

I'd echo the sentiments of everyone here - giving up is the one thing you never want to do. Take a break? Sure. But stopping entirely.... eh. One thing I think helps is to find something you feel good drawing, regardless of how good you are or how simple it is. For example, I quite enjoy drawing eyes - not particularly good at it, but that's not the point. Anytime I draw something that I'm not very happy with (especially if it's taken up a lot of time) I go ahead and just draw an eye for a bit, and I feel a bit better, even if it's not something worth showing off.

I wouldn't worry too much about not being able to replicate what's in your head. That can take... well, forever. Best thing to do is to learn all the different aspects (proportions, perspective, colour theory, etc.) you'd need to make those images real, and focus on them individually, but make sure you draw some pretty pictures along the way to keep yourself motivated, even if they're totally different to what you're aiming for :) For example, all my recent pictures have been purely to practice perspective, and are only mildly related to what I actually want to draw in the end.

So yeah, don't give up ;)

On 5/6/2018 at 6:16 PM, GluttonyReaper said:

Take a break? Sure. But stopping entirely.... eh.

I'll take a break...

An indefinite one, until I feel the need to disappoint myself again. Sadly that's guaranteed to work.

3 hours ago, cratercracker said:

HELLO THERE HOW R U DOIN?

30c7lvq.jpg

ANOTHA ONE

106xz7a.jpg

BUT I AM NOT DONE YET

x0p7yv.jpg

Sorry for capslock, i am just too excited.

I can just tell from your drawings that you like listening to Synthwave :D

25 minutes ago, NSEP said:

I can just tell from your drawings that you like listening to Synthwave :D

exactly.

synthwave/vaporwave/dark synth/techno/dark club/dreamwave/hardbass(no joke)/psycho bass(rarely)/, basicly retrowave is my jam.

But let's not get too offtopic here, shall we?

Edited by cratercracker

2 minutes ago, cratercracker said:

exactly.

synthwave/vaporwave/dark synth/techno/dark club/dreamwave/hardbass/psycho bass/, basicly retrowave is my jam.

But let's not get too offtopic here, shall we?

I like that kind of music too, you also listen to Pink Floyd ....OH WHOOP

British_Rail_Class_165_165124_derailed_a

1 hour ago, GluttonyReaper said:

ZWKsuhm.jpg

Something that made me realize I need to study human anatomy a little more before combining it with perspective :P 

Or you could just leave it kind of weird and abstract. It's kind of interesting. It's your choice.

Edited by cubinator

On 5/10/2018 at 1:13 AM, cubinator said:

Or you could just leave it kind of weird and abstract. It's kind of interesting. It's your choice.

Yeah, I'm just just trying new things, maybe I'll even use colour one day :P

Speaking of which, few sketches I did while 'revising', seeing as my phone was dead:

1GxpLBr.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.