Can't mine unless ship is selected?

I'm wondering why my mining ship can't mine unless it's selected. I had captured an astroid and took me a long time to get it to orbit kerbin. Well I decided to make a mining station to refuel ships at but for some reason unless I'm actually using the ship it doesn't mine anything at all. It just stays where it was left off at. I was wondering if there was a fix or mod for this problem?

Please fill me in on a detail. Do you visit this mining ship every few hours? Or do you leave it alone for long periods of time and expect that the ore tanks will be full when you come back? That's how it used to work, but it doesn't anymore.

You have to visit drill ships regularly to keep them going when they aren't focused. So are you doing that?

No it's got more than enough power. I have the drills going and the isru and I did check back after I did each node on another ship/mission I had to go build a 6 kerbal base on the mun. but everytime I went back there was no ore and the fuel tanks were still the same as if nothing happened. I even waited one min without using warp to see if it still did that and it did. 

Then we need pix of the context menus while the thing is running. Maybe shut down the converter when you take the drill pix -- having converters running at the same time makes it all a lot more confusing.

I haven't played KSP for quite a while now, but I do remember that back when I played, you had to keep the ship in question loaded all the time for it to correctly keep mining - or doing anything, for that matter. I also vaguely remember a mod that mitigated that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.