[1.2] Shuttle Payload Technologies v0.2 - Spacelab Released!

MrMeeb

4 hours ago, SpaceBadger007 said:

I just thought that blender can only do models but it can also do animations!? I really like the exposure rack its a fantastic feature and looks very cool!!!

Blender is a pretty complete 3D package, comparable in a lot of ways to professional software.

10 hours ago, davidy12 said:

No often the fuel becomes unbalanced.

IE: Fuel flowing from each tank. Can I control that in any way?

Sarcasm aside, this is how I balance the ET and control it's fuel-flow priorities:

bpL8Fal.png

The entire tank feeds fuel to the nosecone, which feeds fuel to the shuttle. That way, the last thing to run out of fuel is the nosecone which, in my experience, keeps the thing balanced

On September 11, 2016 at 2:36 AM, MrMeeb said:

Sarcasm aside, this is how I balance the ET and control it's fuel-flow priorities:

bpL8Fal.png

The entire tank feeds fuel to the nosecone, which feeds fuel to the shuttle. That way, the last thing to run out of fuel is the nosecone which, in my experience, keeps the thing balanced

Good news is that after 1.2 hits, the fuel flow settings might allow you to ditch all the fuel ducts around the tank. We'll see if it works though.

Quick check-in to show that I'm still working on this, here it is in Unity! Seeing as 1.2 is fairly close, I'm going to be making it for that version, and releasing it when 1.2 is released. That way I get a bit more time to work on it, seeing as school is ramping up again and I'm finding myself with only short bursts of time here and there.

ji6O4dC.png

So, in my save, I fly the shuttle in orbit mostly with Mechjeb. The shuttle doesn't keep pointed on the manoeuvre node, and, with Mechjeb flying it, it ends up pitching nose-over-tail to try to keep up with the node. Is this because the shuttle is off-balance due to the longer bay, and, is there a way to config edit the OMS engine or the centre of mass to fix that?

Edited by Z3R0_0NL1N3

5 hours ago, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

So, in my save, I fly the shuttle in orbit mostly with Mechjeb. The shuttle doesn't keep pointed on the manoeuvre node, and, with Mechjeb flying it, it ends up pitching nose-over-tail to try to keep up with the node. Is this because the shuttle is off-balance due to the longer bay, and, is there a way to config edit the OMS engine or the centre of mass to fix that?

Solution, don't fly shuttles with MJ.

41 minutes ago, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

But rendezvous is so boring. Besides, even then it's hard to keep it oriented correctly on the node. I have to constantly pitch up to try to keep up with it.

Youre having a problem where the OMS engines are making the shuttle pitch? Easiest way to fix that (assuming your OMS dont gimbal) is to put a small probe core on the craft and angle it to match the angle of the OMS engines.

23 hours ago, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

As @Avalon304 said, a probe core at the same angle as the OMS engines should fix the problem. It occurs because MechJeb expects the thrust of the engines to fire in the same direction as the craft is pointing, which is not the case in the shuttle, meaning it is constantly burning in the wrong direction, which leads to the chasing maneouver nodes. I can assure you that the OMS engines have sufficient gimbal to account for the slight change in CoM. Trust me, I've flown it into an RSS orbit with 0 issues. 

As a general update to what I'm doing, it's all going well. Spacelab is in game and almost entirely functional (all that needs adding is its science lab capability), and only small changes to the texture and models are taking place as I perfect it for the release. 

On a point of balancing, I believe it yields similar amounts of science to the Materials Bay, and the Spacelab part itself appears in the Advanced Exploration node, at the same time as the stock science lab. Seeing as I don't play career, and therefore know where nothing is, or would fit well, if anyone has any comments on where they think it should go (bare in mind that it only really works with the shuttle, so any input on where it should be in relation to the unlocking of those parts would really help), I'd appreciate them 

Edit:

hptlzbT.png

I've been playing with an edited version of Pak's texture, in which the hatch has been moved down in order to accommodate the position of the crew tunnels, which will attach to a new node. While this new hatch doesn't line up with the in-game hatch, I'd expect the airlock blocks it, and it's not like you'll accidentally EVA out of it, seeing as it is not the default hatch.

Edited by MrMeeb

On 10/1/2016 at 8:47 PM, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

I'm itching to play with that Skylab. I know 1.2 comes out in probably like a few days, but, it's hard to wait! prerelease but you can take your time if there's still work to be done

There won't be a prerelease for Spacelab due to it's reliance on plugins that haven't been updated to 1.2pre officially yet. Because of that, it won't be out straight on the 1.2 release either, as I'll have to wait on said plugins to be updated by their authors first. There won't be a prerelease for Skylab either, because I'm not doing it. 

I spent some time this weekend fiddling with rendering in Blender, and thought I may as well share some of what I did. Here are a couple of potential configurations you can use with Spacelab in the CRG-150, but I'm sure there are many more. There are still a few changes I'd like to try on the textures, but other than that it's pretty much done. Nearly there! :) 

1JIsBgS.jpg Bvq7TZW.jpg ODBbrwt.jpg

Edited by MrMeeb

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.