MrMeeb

[1.2] Shuttle Payload Technologies v0.2 - Spacelab Released!

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

is this compatible with an obscure mod that hasn't been updated since 0.19?

I tried it with [mod] and it was fine. maybe it's just a windows thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/2/2016 at 5:35 AM, MrMeeb said:

What did you have in mind as far as 'configuring'? There should be room in the cargo bay for Spacelab and one of the CA Spacelab Pallets (possibly more...I haven't used them myself yet), if you leave out some parts of the tunnel.

Just noticed you replied to me, what I meant was to make the parts modular (within reason). For example the Spacelab you described, would be a regular Spacelab module, the tunnel, and the pallet, just like it always was in real life,

I'm saying as an extra thing if you have the time, perhaps make a short Spacelab module(like in the first two configurations in the picture) and maybe an Igloo module(If you aren't making that already), so you can fit in more than one pallet. Other than that what you're describing sounds like what I had in mind.

Edited by Frednoeyes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Frednoeyes said:

Just noticed you replied to me, what I meant was to make the parts modular (within reason). For example the Spacelab you described, would be a regular Spacelab module, the tunnel, and the pallet, just like it always was in real life,

I'm saying as an extra thing if you have the time, perhaps make a short Spacelab module(like in the first two configurations in the picture) and maybe an Igloo module(If you aren't making that already), so you can fit in more than one pallet. Other than that what you're describing sounds like what I had in mind.

Oooh, a short Spacelab is an interesting idea. However, if you check out the renders you'll notice you can fit two pallets anyway! I'm thinking of reworking the Adapter part to allow the full setup to fit one pallet, seeing as I'm not happy with the Adapter part anyway :D I am aware of the Igloo, but there is woefully little documentation on Spacelab (that I can find) anyway, so I would have very little to go off. Something for the future maybe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/5/2016 at 9:47 AM, MrMeeb said:

Oooh, a short Spacelab is an interesting idea. However, if you check out the renders you'll notice you can fit two pallets anyway! I'm thinking of reworking the Adapter part to allow the full setup to fit one pallet, seeing as I'm not happy with the Adapter part anyway :D I am aware of the Igloo, but there is woefully little documentation on Spacelab (that I can find) anyway, so I would have very little to go off. Something for the future maybe

Another idea I has was the tilting IUS deployment cradle used on TDRS missions (STS-26), problem is I'm not sure that would be possible without some exotic plugin like Infernal Robotics (Tilting node).

BTW, If you want good photos for reference, check out http://www.spacefacts.de, they have got a whole bunch of great spaceflight photos, Shuttle era and more!

Edited by Frednoeyes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick check in to show what I'm currently working on with regards to Spacelab:

E7BnQnc.png

What can be seen here is @Angel-125's extremely powerful science system, as part of WildBlueTools. This will give Spacelab the ability to be configured to fulfill different roles, including a MPL (much like the stock one) or, more excitingly as a lab that conducts its own experiments. For those of you not familiar with the M.O.L.E mod, you can select multiple experiments (4 in the case of Spacelab) from the list on the right to bring with you to space, where you will conduct them. However, it isn't as simple as clicking a button and getting instant data. Instead, the lab generates Lab Time (in order to suggest the Kerbals are actually working while they're up there), and each experiment requires a certain amount of Lab Time to be completed. Once that requisite is fulfilled, the experiment will be conducted, and then has to be sent home in order to gain science rewards. I see this as ideal for shuttle science, and it will allow the part to have purpose throughout a career, as more experiments are unlocked throughout the tech tree. 

This feature will also be paired with a selection of contracts, in which agencies will ask for certain experiments to be conducted. I've been hard at work figuring this system out (with support from Angel) and designing logos for the agencies, but progress is steady. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Double post, but for a good cause!

Shuttle Payload Technologies v0.2 is out!

kHoAn6w.jpg

Changelog:

Spoiler

-Updated CRG-150 texture to use the new CA texture
-Added DMagicScienceAnimate
-Added WildBlueTools
-Added CRG-100R
-Added Shuttle Cockpit
-Added CT-A3 Tunnel Adapter
-Added CT-S4 Structural Tunnel
-Added RS-3 Experiment Airlock
-Added CT-I7 Inline Airlock
-Added ISF-14 "Igloo" Integrated Science Facility
-Added ISF-7 "Iglet" Integrated Science Facility
-Added CT-Z5 Structural Tunnel
-Renamed "Aero" folder to "WingSurfaces"
-Renamed "Utility" folder to "CargoBays"
-Removed "Extras" folder - The LFO versions of the ET will enable
automatically if Community Resource Pack is not installed, but DIRECT
is. The LHO version will enable if both DIRECT and CRP are installed.
-Removed Ships folder, and craft. They'll be back later.

If you experience any problems, let me know! I'm especially interested in career balancing etc, because I don't use it so I've tried my best but have no experience there.

Download! (craft breaking!)

 

 

Edited by MrMeeb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, skyhawkmlt said:

Was hoping more for a NASA one, like Component Space Shuttle, or Space Shuttle System

So what youre saying is... you want something that looks like junk, and doesnt fit in with the KSP style at all? Because thats literally what those two things are... and CA is literally just a stock CSS... but matched with the stock style and... you know... better in just about every possible way.

Edited by Avalon304

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually kind of quite like the fact that you've configged the SPT cockpit to be a separate part than the standard Mk3. Could you include configs to make the rest of CA's parts separate, like the Buran cockpit or the nose? I'm sure it's not too difficult, so I'll give it a try if you don't want to.

Additionally, the tiling on the side of the Shuttle Cockpit is shinier and lighter than the CA equivalent.

NUD1es8.jpg

Additionally, while you moved the node for the Spacelab further down on the Shuttle cockpit, your cargo bay still has a cargo node in the normal place. Do you still want that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

I actually kind of quite like the fact that you've configged the SPT cockpit to be a separate part than the standard Mk3. Could you include configs to make the rest of CA's parts separate, like the Buran cockpit or the nose? I'm sure it's not too difficult, so I'll give it a try if you don't want to.

 

Additionally, while you moved the node for the Spacelab further down on the Shuttle cockpit, your cargo bay still has a cargo node in the normal place. Do you still want that?

I mean... why would you want all the parts separate? Thats just part bloat for no reason. Like I can undersatnd the new cockpit, because of the Space Lab node, but theres no reason to make the Buran cockpit or either nose cone separate... because theyre literally just textures, and crafts remember which texture is selected.

 

I would assume that the node is there so that cockpit can also be used in a non-Spacelab configuration, so people dont have to have 2 different craft for different mission profiles and they can just build in a single base craft file.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Avalon304 said:

I mean... why would you want all the parts separate? Thats just part bloat for no reason. Like I can undersatnd the new cockpit, because of the Space Lab node, but theres no reason to make the Buran cockpit or either nose cone separate... because theyre literally just textures, and crafts remember which texture is selected.

 

I would assume that the node is there so that cockpit can also be used in a non-Spacelab configuration, so people dont have to have 2 different craft for different mission profiles and they can just build in a single base craft file.

I think it's more stockalike if they don't use the texture switching. Plus that way I can trim out the ones I don't use (my save never uses the Buran for instance).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

I think it's more stockalike if they don't use the texture switching. Plus that way I can trim out the ones I don't use (my save never uses the Buran for instance).

You could just... you know delete the textures in question... and modify the CA configs to not reference it...

As for it being more stockalike without texture switching. How? Like actually how? Its the stock model with a new texture pasted on it... its already stockalike... it cant be MORE stockalike... the next step is it just being stock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats on the release, the parts look really nice!

Question though, on the airlock + tunnel parts: Is the mass intended? I'm balking a little at a 7 ton airlock, to be honest. I am hoping it is a typo of some sort, but all of the (structural) parts seem quite massive for what they do, on an already weighty by necessity craft. (That and it doesn't have a top node for docking also is a snag, but I understand from a gameplay perspective.) Come to think of it, what does one do with the top port on a spacelab? I can't think of a quick use, but it's also pretty late here. :P 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Avalon304 said:

You could just... you know delete the textures in question... and modify the CA configs to not reference it...

As for it being more stockalike without texture switching. How? Like actually how? Its the stock model with a new texture pasted on it... its already stockalike... it cant be MORE stockalike... the next step is it just being stock.

It just feels more like the stock game. The stock game doesn't have texture switching. It's like how the stock game has separate spaceplane parts for LFO and LqdFuel, while there are many mods that just have a fuel switcher plugin. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

It just feels more like the stock game. The stock game doesn't have texture switching. It's like how the stock game has separate spaceplane parts for LFO and LqdFuel, while there are many mods that just have a fuel switcher plugin. 

I have a feeling that youve identified part of the stock game that should be changed... rather than mods "trying to be even more like stock" by bloating the parts list unnecessarily. Theres no reason for stock to have 3 different parts for LFO/LF/MP when they could, quite easily it would seem (given that there are atleast 2 or 3 different switching methods right now), design a part switching and mesh switching and texture switching functionality into the game and condense many parts down into fewer parts.

 

Your advocating for backsteps in progress, which is bad.

 

Anyway, I dont wish to clog up Meeb's topic anymore, so Im done with this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will not be removing texture switching, especially not for someone else's mod.

1 hour ago, komodo said:

Question though, on the airlock + tunnel parts: Is the mass intended? I'm balking a little at a 7 ton airlock, to be honest. I am hoping it is a typo of some sort, but all of the (structural) parts seem quite massive for what they do, on an already weighty by necessity craft.

Yeah, sounds like 7 tonnes for the airlock was a mis-type. Oops :P I'll bring that down to one, and look at the Mk-1 structural tunnel piece for reference for the rest. Should've probably done that in the first place lol. Can you log a GitHub issue? (I think it's set up right for that)

1 hour ago, komodo said:

(That and it doesn't have a top node for docking also is a snag, but I understand from a gameplay perspective.)

I don't quite understand this. Are you saying you think the Inline Airlock should have the ability to act as a docking port? If so, I modelled it based off the real inline airlock some shuttle missions used, such as the Spacelab mission to Mir, iirc. If you want to be able to dock to things, there is enough space in the CRG-150 for a full Spacelab config (including the airlock) and Pak's Airlock/Docking adapter :) 

1 hour ago, komodo said:

Come to think of it, what does one do with the top port on a spacelab? I can't think of a quick use, but it's also pretty late here. :P 

That top port is for the RS-3 Experiment Airlock also in the science tab. It was originally part of Spacelab but I made it a septet are part to make the in-game science better and also to allow a modular system when I make more experiment airlock experiments. Hope that's clear! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

It just feels more like the stock game. The stock game doesn't have texture switching. It's like how the stock game has separate spaceplane parts for LFO and LqdFuel, while there are many mods that just have a fuel switcher plugin. 

Oh aren't you just adorable. I could just eat you up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Oh aren't you just adorable. I could just eat you up.

Like... A wolf?

... Ok, I'll shut up.

---

@MrMeeb, sounds good! I wasn't asking for the inline airlock to have a top node, I entirely understand its purpose, I just was highlighting a gameplay difference between it and the part from Pak. (The new one looks pretty spiffy too.) I'll try to hop on the githubz in a moment. I probably completely missed the airlock experiment... That would make a lot of sense :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm getting texture issues where most of the parts, especially the new spacelab parts, are showing up flat grey. I had a similar issue with the AviationPlus mod, and saw that a bit later they posted a texture fix, and now that mod is working for me. Is this something that's been brought up here? Love all of the new stuff by the way! Keep at it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DarthVader said:

what happened to the included craft file? @MrMeeb

I removed it because I might want to have a closer look at balancing my aero stuff in the near future. @Pak has put a lot of effort into balancing his things, and I don't want to tarnish that with a poorly balanced shuttle when you add my stuff into the equation. Once I'm happy with that, I'll put one back in. Besides, it's not that hard to build a shuttle with CA and SPT anyway :P 

46 minutes ago, TheAceOfHearts said:

I'm getting texture issues where most of the parts, especially the new spacelab parts, are showing up flat grey. I had a similar issue with the AviationPlus mod, and saw that a bit later they posted a texture fix, and now that mod is working for me. Is this something that's been brought up here?

I have not had this problem reported, nor have I experienced it, and I am presuming that no one else has either. Can you try redownloading it from wherever you did (where was that, exactly?) and install it again. Make sure you're in 1.2 and have got a complete download. Is this on all the parts, including the cargo bays and cockpit, or just the spacelab parts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MrMeeb said:

I have not had this problem reported, nor have I experienced it, and I am presuming that no one else has either. Can you try redownloading it from wherever you did (where was that, exactly?) and install it again. Make sure you're in 1.2 and have got a complete download. Is this on all the parts, including the cargo bays and cockpit, or just the spacelab parts?

This isn't on any of the older parts like the wings and cargo bays, it's just spacelab parts. I'll see if it's one of my other mods causing the issue, since it all worked in a vanilla save, but I just wanted to make the issue known. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.