Spacecraft Not-Friday, because let's be honest, how many times have we actually released it on Friday? [7/30/16]

nkFh2EJ.png

Can someone go through all the SCFs and count how many times SCF has been released on a day other than Friday? Because at this point I feel like the above version of the logo (or some variation of it) is more common than the original.

Oh well, lamenting on my own lack of timeliness won't solve anything, so here we go, the Spacecraft *insert arbitrary day here* for July 30th, 2016!

Who are you to decide this, I hear you asking, and here's the answer: No one. I am not official in any way, shape, or form. If you're unhappy with my decision, we can work something out. This is just my opinion, since there's no objective way to judge "Quality" of crafts.

If anyone feels that their craft is missed because of any kind of time-zone difference, or any kind of difference in when spacecraft fridays is put up, tell me.

If your craft is really good and was made before, and someone posts in it within that week, then it will be considered. Just to clarify, I am not encouraging necros for the sake of bumping your craft.

Fifth Place

Q4ZX0wb.png

I've always wondered what Kerbals do in their time between missions, and this craft gives a pretty good answer. It's a small swimming pool, bar, and lounge made by @Malaclypse.

Fourth Place

Vk8BSSH.png

This here is a little VTOL fighter equipped with two stock missiles. It looks really sleek, sort of like a Harrier, but still a little different. Made by @ghostbuzzer7.

Third Place (Modified)

NHmBwva.png

Due to a small mistake on my part this craft was almost excluded from the list, but I have realized where I messed up and am making an attempt to fix it. This is a tandem rotor helicopter built by @Jon144. The cool part about it is that it is 100% stock! Now we've all seen stock helicopters here before, but this one can actually carry cargo a significant distance, which is appalling considering the extreme complications involved in build a stock rotary wing aircraft.

Second Place

wpT6bBI.png

A VTOL SSTO is cool, but making an entire series of them is even more awesome! I haven't actually known of @NSEP for very long, but everything I've seen from him looks like it's been very well done. The Mammoth 4 is claimed to carry 20 tons to LKO, and he has concepts for even larger ones, with payloads of up to 20 tons or more! It may not sound like much, but when the entire vehicle (minus the fuel) can be reused, 20 tons can suddenly become a whole lot larger.

First Place

Nn6a93S.png

Well, it seems like the themes this week have (inadvertently) been versatility and efficiency, and @Frozen_Heart continues it with this mothership. According to it's thread, the mothership can be configured for  near infinite range, with an ore converter, a dropship to collect ore, and tanks to store it. For larger mining tasks, it can even equip a full size converter unit to yield more fuel more quickly. It can even use ion engines and giant solar arrays to reach the more remote areas of the Kerbol system, such as Eeloo or Moho. If you happen to be someone who likes to weaponize spacecraft, the Co-113A can even carry missiles or fighters. The sayin "Jack of all trades, master of none" comes to mind here, however I truly believe this craft is a Master of all.

Spoiler

Honorable Mention

Yeah, I'm American. Don't tell me how to spell my words and I won't tell you how you're spelling them wrong.

Due to a misreading of the date on this thread I accidentally included it as the third place pick for this week, oblivious to the fact that it was more than a month old. I have since replaced it with the KH-47, but because I want to acknowledge that this craft made it here in the first place, I have demoted it to an Honorable Mention rather than deleting it from the thread entirely.

Alright, that does it for this week, if you would like to do your own SCF please check out this thread.

Edited by pTrevTrevs
Dates, who needs 'em?

Im second! Woow! Thank you alot! The Mammoth 4 is claimed to carry 20 tons into LKO. But scientist are not 100% sure. People say it could only carry 15 tons. But the NSEP replied: Ok okl it could maybe carry less, but who is going to send 15/20 tons into space anyways, we just want to make commercial spaceflight alot cheaper. The Mammoth 4 uses the extra space in the cargo bay for fuel. Just because its more efficient. (and the tanks are re-usable too). And today is my birthday. So the perfect day to be honoured this way! Thanks alot my friend!

1 hour ago, Jon144 said:

So my stock chinook didn't make it? Was probably too long ago or something.

I looked at it, but its upload date was more than two weeks ago. if it were less than a week ago it probably would have been first place.

Sorry

Just now, pTrevTrevs said:

I looked at it, but its upload date was more than two weeks ago. if it were less than a week ago it probably would have been first place.

Sorry

Errr.. Cupcakes craft was released more than a month ago. 

And:

If your craft is really good and was made before, and someone posts in it within that week, then it will be considered.

Edited by Majorjim

1 hour ago, Majorjim said:

Errr.. Cupcakes craft was released more than a month ago. 

Are you sure? I'm sure it was more recent than that

Let me double check that

Yep, you're right, it actually... uh... it actually says June 25.... I guess I was just in a hurry and misread the date.

As for the second part of your post, at the time I was certain that @Jon144's helicopter had been features in a previous SCF. After actually cheking I see that the last SCF was done on July 20th, after checking this is appears that it was not. As a matter of fact the last SCF was on July 3rd...

How should I rectify this? I could add Jon's craft, but I've already listed Cupcake's, and I don't want to just remove it because "sorry, too early". 

Sorry, folks.

Edited by pTrevTrevs

OP updated with more correct placement. @Cupcake...'s craft has been demoted to an Honorable Mention and @Jon144's has been moved to Third Place. Under normal circumstances, I assure you I would have picked it for first place because of how awesome it is, but I have already released the thread and I don't want to upset the first and second place winners by usurping them.

On 7/31/2016 at 3:26 PM, pTrevTrevs said:

OP updated with more correct placement. @Cupcake...'s craft has been demoted to an Honorable Mention and @Jon144's has been moved to Third Place. Under normal circumstances, I assure you I would have picked it for first place because of how awesome it is, but I have already released the thread and I don't want to upset the first and second place winners by usurping them.

Seriously you shouldn't go to these lengths. This thread series should be used to mostly promote new talent. Which I don't think cupcake or I really classify as. And if we were to make things that are really appealing they would get stickies or mentions by squad anyways. :0.0: It's all mostly a deal of never being on time the right week or the right day anymore. So everything gets scrambled.

Edited by Jon144

30 minutes ago, Jon144 said:

Seriously you shouldn't go to these lengths. This thread series should be used to mostly promote new talent. Which I don't think cupcake or I really classify as. And if we were to make things that are really appealing they would get stickies or mentions by squad anyways. :0.0: It's all mostly a deal of never being on time the right week or the right day anymore. So everything gets scrambled.

I must confess that I wasn't primarily thinking of promoting new talent, although I would like to point out that I did feature Malaclypse, and with five posts, if he isn't new talent, I don't know who is. I would say the other major point of SCF is to feature the best craft on the exchange (according to the opinion of the OP), and I have done this to the best of my ability and in ehat I believe to be the best format for this sort of thing

Does SQUAD itself ever acknowledge exceptional craft other than by having @sal_vager sticky them for the month?

1 minute ago, pTrevTrevs said:

I must confess that I wasn't primarily thinking of promoting new talent, although I would like to point out that I did feature Malaclypse, and with five posts, if he isn't new talent, I don't know who is. I would say the other major point of SCF is to feature the best craft on the exchange (according to the opinion of the OP), and I have done this to the best of my ability and in ehat I believe to be the best format for this sort of thing

Does SQUAD itself ever acknowledge exceptional craft other than by having @sal_vager sticky them for the month?

Sometimes they put up a quick feature on their Facebook page like they did with my old STS replica. Only fi something is really exceptional though. I don't think SCF should have repeat offenders so often unless it is truly deserved. But then again new talent doesn't come along so often,

Edited by Jon144

4 minutes ago, Jon144 said:

Sometimes they put up a quick feature on their Facebook page like they did with my old STS replica. Only fi something is really exceptional though. I don't think SCF should have repeat offenders so often unless it is truly deserved. But then again new talent doesn't come along so often,

It really doesn't. There are scores of new people joining every day, but to see a new user post a craft with a thread that looks professional is rare indeed (no offense meant to new users, I myself was one once)

So SQUAD mentions craft on their Facebook page, huh? I'm gonna go take a look real quick...

8 hours ago, Jon144 said:

Sometimes they put up a quick feature on their Facebook page like they did with my old STS replica. Only fi something is really exceptional though.

And mostly things that are posted to Reddit. And anyway what on earth qualifies Squad to know what an exceptional craft is anyway!?

The craft I made that they featured was no where near my most 'exceptional' craft. I mostly see them post 'novelty' craft or cute and silly stuff.

If you make something truly 'exceptional' people will respond to the thread here on the forum with likes/rep, replies and downloads. There is no better way to judge craft. Other than downloading it yourself and playing with it. See? It's all subjective. :wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.