Mission Control support

I would love to see support for a multiplayer mission control style interface, where people online or on a local network could view your map and telemetry information, and would be able to plan maneuver nodes and send them to the pilot. This would allow for easier KSP Mission Control parties and I think would be a huge hit.

I know some mods provide similar functionality, but they've been very difficult to get working, and seem hacky at best.

I kind of like the idea but at the same time I wonder if it wouldn't get pretty boring pretty quickly? Planning maneuvers isn't that hard and then executing them is pretty easy too. It seems there would need to be more to it or you'd just be sitting around a lot. 

29 minutes ago, Brownhair2 said:

Not to mention, I'm sure there would be trolls who would spam useless nodes

Best just not to invite those guys to the party in the first place.

They eat all twisties. 

Yes much like Telemachus, but it would be nice to be able to use the same map interface to plan maneuver nodes. Maybe have an option to disable the map and maneuver node creation on the pilot's game so he is dependent on mission control for all navigation. It seems like a simple enough feature to implement (modders have more or less implemented it already) and it would make KSP an awesome LAN party game.

1 hour ago, Neums said:

Yes much like Telemachus, but it would be nice to be able to use the same map interface to plan maneuver nodes. Maybe have an option to disable the map and maneuver node creation on the pilot's game so he is dependent on mission control for all navigation. It seems like a simple enough feature to implement (modders have more or less implemented it already) and it would make KSP an awesome LAN party game.

Because of this I'm back on the multiplayer bandwagon.

On 7/30/2016 at 9:14 PM, Neums said:

I would love to see support for a multiplayer mission control style interface, where people online or on a local network could view your map and telemetry information, and would be able to plan maneuver nodes and send them to the pilot. This would allow for easier KSP Mission Control parties and I think would be a huge hit.

I know some mods provide similar functionality, but they've been very difficult to get working, and seem hacky at best.

Yes,I've wanted this ever since I played Artemis.

One requirement should be a human player for every Kerbal in game.

So minimum player requirements would be Mission Control, Tracking, and all crewmembers, if manned

Nice idea! Maybe, it could support microphone chat too..?

Suggestions? : Pilot controls everything, and can choose to share responsibility of right-click menus (In-Flight), maneuver nodes (In-Flight), targeting (In-Flight), tracking station controls, maybe creating a craft for the pilot for when he returns (Kinda like instant craft file sharing)?

Edited by specialopsdave

2 minutes ago, specialopsdave said:

Pilot controls everything

No, pilot would control the Pilot kerbal or the probe core, and execute operations pushed to him by mission control

You're thinking Flight Director, who depending on mission complexity would run mission control by himself or with other players

17 minutes ago, Nothalogh said:

No, pilot would control the Pilot kerbal or the probe core, and execute operations pushed to him by mission control

You're thinking Flight Director, who depending on mission complexity would run mission control by himself or with other players

Read the rest of the post. The Pilot could be in control NORMALLY, like in the stock game, unless he chooses to share the responsibilities with others, such as the ones mentioned in my previous post. And what would you do as a non-pilot Kerbal? EVA? That would bring on the difficulties found in trying to make full-on multiplayer.

Edited by specialopsdave

I'd be for this if it got Squad to rename what they currently call, "Mission Control," which is in fact some sort of business office,and then they could rename the tracking station "Mission Control" since the point of MC is to control missions in flight.

1 hour ago, tater said:

I'd be for this if it got Squad to rename what they currently call, "Mission Control," which is in fact some sort of business office,and then they could rename the tracking station "Mission Control" since the point of MC is to control missions in flight.

Or a seperate building...

2 hours ago, KSP Bros KS said:

Or a seperate building...

As it stands, Mission Control ... isn't. It is exclusively some sort of contract office. The tracking station is what it claims, but functionally, it is 'Mission Control."

19 hours ago, KSP Bros KS said:

Trolling only happens in minecraft as far as i have seen.

Trolling and griefing happens in every game that doesn't punish it. In GTA V there are penalties for destroying someone's car/killing them. In MOBAs there are systems that let other people rate others depending on how well they did (though this one isn't as troll-proof).

BUT most of KSP players seem to DO appreciate others' achievements and each thread with a title like "My first orbit!" or "My first Mun lander!" seem to be full of people who actually congratulate the player who did this, so I think that a MOBA-like rating system would work best for this. Players could invite others who have higher/similar rank and cooperate with them (basically levels, except with some fancy titles like Rookie, Astronaut, Captain, etc.). Once a mission is over they would rate how each of the members of the Mission Control did on a scale from 1-5 stars, or something like that, and an average rating would be always displayed (much like it is on seller's page on Amazon). They could also maybe make notes like "This guy is pretty good" or "This player is a rookie and still needs to learn", or "Ths guy is a troll. DON'T play with him/her".

That way players would actualy care about cooperation to avoid reputation loss/comments that are not favourable.

Edited by Veeltch

It should be noted that I run a real mission control team with Real Space Program, so I very much have experience in running one within KSP (granted RSS/RO, but KSP nonetheless).

I could devise a potential concept for a real multiplayer mode with functioning Mission Control and crew. If you want to be in on the know, send me a PM on the topic. With some interest I could have something serious devised by the end of the month.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.