Fuel Ducts Don't Attach

Despite the litany of issues others have with fuel ducts, I haven't been able to find this one in searching.

Is there a reason why fuel ducts attach in the VAB, only to become detached (just appearing as a connection with a rounded head on the originating part) when the vehicle is put to the launch pad? I've been trying to set my auxilliary boosters to divert fuel towards the center stage, but this doesn't work--I've tried attaching at various different points, but the game simply does not want to attach the fuel ducts in the actual game, only the VAB

Funny enough, I've noticed this issue across multiple versions of the game--and it feels totally random. It's not because the fuel duct is clipping with an irregular part of one of the tanks, and making the fuel duct longer (with attachment points further away from each other) doesn't help either. 

Um. Well, other people are having the same problem with struts -- but I haven't heard about it with fuel ducts before -- but fuel ducts and struts are almost the same thing in the program. And with struts, if you try to fix the attachment again, it almost always works. And once it's attached properly, AFAIK, it always works after that on the pad.

But yes, the strut thing has been happening since 1.1.0, I think. Since 1.1.0, fuel ducts and struts have accidentally had very large aerodynamic drags -- so I've tried to avoid both of them until now. So I'm probably not the best person to be writing a response here.

If it were me, I'd be trying to do manual fuel transfers instead of using fuel ducts. Is that not an option?

I suppose what I'm trying to say, though -- is that if you do a search on "strut attachment bug" you will probably learn a lot more than I can tell you.

Edited by bewing

If I had to guess I'd say there's an issue that occurs when physics loads (although that is just a guess). I've always had pretty good luck running a fuel line, and then running a parallel strut close by to reinforce it..

10 hours ago, Synthesis said:

Is there a reason why fuel ducts attach in the VAB, only to become detached (just appearing as a connection with a rounded head on the originating part) when the vehicle is put to the launch pad?

Screenshots?  Also, what platform are you running on?  Running any mods?  Which ones?

I've never encountered such a problem ever, even once, in any version of KSP.  That's not to say that you're imagining things :) ... just that there may be something about either your platform, or construction technique, or some other factor that's correlated with your specific game experience.

• 5 years later...

Since this question was asked over five years ago, presumably everyone involved has gotten what they needed and moved on to other things. ;)

(Not to mention that KSP has been through quite a few major version releases since then.)

Accordingly, locking the thread to prevent further confusion. If anyone has a current question about working with fuel ducts (or anything else), please feel free to spin up a new thread!

Thank you for your understanding.