ANSWERED. All things fairings.

After letting the latest version of KSP mature for a bit and letting modders catch up, I'm now in the process of updating my mods list. One thing I wonder if you guys could help me with is:

When it comes to fairings, could someone give me a quick guide on the fairings situation? I notice there are at least 2 procedural fairings mods out now, only one of them is somewhat familiar to me (the old procedural fairings). Would you prefer stock, the original  PF or the new PF or a mix? How do the different parts kits hold up to the others, in your opinion of course? Do they all work the same way, in reducing drag, or is one or the other noteably different and if so, in what way, for better or worse?

Hope to have some inputs from those who have given these alternatives a try. Thanks.

EDIT:

In the older versions, I had a fairings kit (both aerodynamics and structural) with separate base and fairings parts. My memory is not great but for some reason do I recall them being part of the Modular Rocket System mod. I could very well be wrong though so for the time being, I am reluctant to pester Necrobones about something he has no idea about. Does it ring a bell to any of you, this fairings kit (part of a larger mod) with separate bases and fairings? Any idea where it can be found? I REALLY hope these parts haven't been phased out as they are the only way I know of to make rounded nose cones AS WELL AS "interstage" cargo bays where the fairings carry whatever is on top of them. This is something I badly want to see back in my mods collection.

EDIT 2:

About those missing fairings parts: I just fired up 0.90 and I found the parts there and the manufacturer is Keramzit Engineering. Can someone help me recognizing which mod has those KE parts?

EDIT 3:

I am a dunderhead. Found it.

Turned out it was me who for some reason overlooked the old procedural fairings mod when reinstalling the mods. The parts were there and now with PF installed, everything looks bliss.

Edited by LN400

1 hour ago, LN400 said:

AS WELL AS "interstage" cargo bays where the fairings carry whatever is on top of them.

I know almost nothing about fairings -- I rather dislike them myself. But one thing I do know is that you can make interstage cargo bays using the stock fairings. So you don't ever need a mod for that again, unless (somehow) the stock ones aren't good enough.

Just now, bewing said:

I know almost nothing about fairings -- I rather dislike them myself. But one thing I do know is that you can make interstage cargo bays using the stock fairings. So you don't ever need a mod for that again, unless (somehow) the stock ones aren't good enough.

Good to know, thanks tons! I would however, like to see the return of these parts, if possibe so the search continues. Some of my slightly older designs depend on those parts and I really enjoyed the look and functionality of these fairings.

5 hours ago, LN400 said:

Answered. See OP. Thanks for your time anyway.

Great, glad to hear you got it sorted out!  :)

Incidentally, if you want to mark a post as "answered" so that it's visible from the list view, there's a better way than editing the thread title.  Just pick the post in the thread which you feel best answers your question, and click the check-mark button that appear on the left-hand side.  That will make a clearly-visible green mark that everyone can see.

4 hours ago, Snark said:

Incidentally, if you want to mark a post as "answered" so that it's visible from the list view, there's a better way than editing the thread title.  Just pick the post in the thread which you feel best answers your question, and click the check-mark button that appear on the left-hand side.  That will make a clearly-visible green mark that everyone can see.

Ah alright, thanks! Well, the answer is in the OP which doesn't have a checkmark but I'll mark my previous post then.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.