[1.3.0] Andromeda Visuals: Daydream [0.3.5]

Matchlight

49 minutes ago, themaster401 said:

Have you ever seen footage from the ISS?

Yes, but with Andromeda there are permanently dozens/hundreds of blizzards all over the world. Do you see blizzards on every footage of the ISS? All over the world? Permanently? I do not think so.

9 hours ago, Matchlight said:

Blizzards in the atmosphere? Can you elaborate or send me a picture? Also, a log would help.

Here are a short video (.flv), KSP.log and output_log.txt:

2017-08-16-2103-16.flv
KSP.log
output_log.txt

Only Stock-KSP, Andromeda (all included mods), Kerbal Joint Reinforcement and Kerbal Engineer Redux.

6 hours ago, Cheesecake said:

Here are a short video (.flv), KSP.log and output_log.txt:

2017-08-16-2103-16.flv
KSP.log
output_log.txt

Only Stock-KSP, Andromeda (all included mods), Kerbal Joint Reinforcement and Kerbal Engineer Redux.

Thats lightning which you can disable by going BoulderCo/Clouds and removing the lightning config file. Your game looks totally normal and if it isn't the lightning you're talking about then that is just clouds...

Hello @Matchlight,

We're sorry, but we have had to snip the download links from your OP, due to numerous issues with licensing.  Please resolve the licensing issues before making your mod downloadable again.  As it currently stands, your mod is breaking a lot of rules.

• Your OP in this thread doesn't state what the license is.
  • The 3rd party site where you host the mod does say a license (which is good), but the license it says is "MIT", which is incompatible with some of the contents (see below).
  • You do not include a license text file in your downloadable package.
  • You bundle several mods together with your own, but you don't list them in your OP, nor do you provide version information or licensing information there.  Also, there are various other license-related issues with them (see below).

Notably, there are problems with the way you bundle the following mods:

• KerbalVisualEnhancements.  You don't include its license file, nor do you indicate its version, or provide a link to the original.
  • Kopernicus.  You're not allowed to bundle this mod with yours.  Why?  Because your mod is licensed MIT, and Kopernicus is licensed LGPL.  LGPL is not compatible with MIT.
  • Scatterer.  You're not allowed to bundle this mod with yours.  Why?  Because your mod is licensed MIT, and Scatterer is licensed GPLv3.  GPLv3 is not compatible with MIT.
  • Textures from Astronomer's Visual Pack.  You're not allowed to bundle content from this mod with yours.  Why?  Because the license for AVP (which is bundled with its download) states that it can't be used for commercial purposes, whereas your license is MIT, which does allow commercial use and therefore is not compatible with Astronomer's license.

(You also bundle EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements and ModularFlightIntegrator, but that's okay because those are both licensed MIT and you're including their license files.)

Please fix the above problems before restoring links.  In the case of "you're not allowed to bundle" mods, either you need to change your license to something that's compatible with theirs, or else you need to stop bundling them.  (The latter approach works fine and is quite common, by the way-- most of Kopernicus-based planet packs don't bundle Kopernicus.  They just include a Kopernicus link and instruct the user to install it.)

For any mods that you do bundle, please make sure that you include their license text; that their license is compatible with yours; that you indicate their version; and that you provide a link to the original.

Thank you for your understanding.

1 hour ago, Snark said:

Hello @Matchlight,

We're sorry, but we have had to snip the download links from your OP, due to numerous issues with licensing.  Please resolve the licensing issues before making your mod downloadable again.  As it currently stands, your mod is breaking a lot of rules.

• Your OP in this thread doesn't state what the license is.
  • The 3rd party site where you host the mod does say a license (which is good), but the license it says is "MIT", which is incompatible with some of the contents (see below).
  • You do not include a license text file in your downloadable package.
  • You bundle several mods together with your own, but you don't list them in your OP, nor do you provide version information or licensing information there.  Also, there are various other license-related issues with them (see below).

Notably, there are problems with the way you bundle the following mods:

• KerbalVisualEnhancements.  You don't include its license file, nor do you indicate its version, or provide a link to the original.
  • Kopernicus.  You're not allowed to bundle this mod with yours.  Why?  Because your mod is licensed MIT, and Kopernicus is licensed LGPL.  LGPL is not compatible with MIT.
  • Scatterer.  You're not allowed to bundle this mod with yours.  Why?  Because your mod is licensed MIT, and Scatterer is licensed GPLv3.  GPLv3 is not compatible with MIT.
  • Textures from Astronomer's Visual Pack.  You're not allowed to bundle content from this mod with yours.  Why?  Because the license for AVP (which is bundled with its download) states that it can't be used for commercial purposes, whereas your license is MIT, which does allow commercial use and therefore is not compatible with Astronomer's license.

(You also bundle EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements and ModularFlightIntegrator, but that's okay because those are both licensed MIT and you're including their license files.)

Please fix the above problems before restoring links.  In the case of "you're not allowed to bundle" mods, either you need to change your license to something that's compatible with theirs, or else you need to stop bundling them.  (The latter approach works fine and is quite common, by the way-- most of Kopernicus-based planet packs don't bundle Kopernicus.  They just include a Kopernicus link and instruct the user to install it.)

For any mods that you do bundle, please make sure that you include their license text; that their license is compatible with yours; that you indicate their version; and that you provide a link to the original.

Thank you for your understanding.

Ok, fair enough about the others and that will be sorted out but I have had a conversation with @Astronomer and he himself said that I have permission to use his textures

9 minutes ago, Matchlight said:

Ok, fair enough about the others and that will be sorted out but I have had a conversation with @Astronomer and he himself said that I have permission to use his textures

Yes, but you still need to follow the stipulations of his license. He would need to change his license on those textures for you to use the MIT license or you need to change yours to a compatible one. I would do some research on the licenses so can better understand.

Edited by Galileo

3 minutes ago, Matchlight said:

Sure.  But your "conversation with Astronomer" is hardly relevant, because EVERYBODY has permission to use his textures, according to the license text in his download:

The licensor permits other to create and distribute derivative works, but only under the same or a compatible license.

The licensor permits others to copy, distribute, display, and perform the work for non-commercial purposes only.

...Astronomer's license stipulates that it's only for non-commercial use, and also that anyone who uses his stuff must have a compatible license.

The problem here is that your license is incompatible with that.  You're using MIT, which allows commercial use, which would violate Astronomer's license.  So either you need to get rid of Astronomer's stuff, or else you need to change to a license that doesn't allow commercial use, such as (for example) CC-BY-NC-SA.

40 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Yes, but you still need to follow the stipulations of his license. He would need to change his license on those textures for you to use the MIT license or you need to change yours to a compatible one. I would do some research on the licenses so can better understand.

Ok, thanks guys I'll make sure to change it as soon as I can

6 minutes ago, Matchlight said:

Ok, thanks guys I'll make sure to change it as soon as I can

Taking off the "moderator hat" for a moment and speaking purely as one modder to another, this would be my advice to you:

• If you really have to have the Astronomer textures in there, switch to a compatible license.
  • Bundling = hassle for you.  Don't bundle so many mods; it makes your life a headache, as you can see (and it puts you in version-update hell, since any time any of them update their versions, you're out of whack).  Instead, just document what to do in the installation instructions, and give people links to where they can download those mods themselves.  Trust me, it saves you a lot of hassle in the long run.

If you reduce what you actually bundle to the bare minimum, and then make sure you've got your posterior covered with the license stuff for that, I think your life will be simpler.  :)

For example, I've released a couple of mods that need Kopernicus... but I never bundle it, I just point people at the Kopernicus download link.  That gives me a whole bunch of win.  First, it means I can use whatever-the-heck license I want, with no worries.  Second, it means I don't have to worry about Kopernicus versions, or even updating my mod.  For example, Kopernicus is hard-locked to KSP version, which means any time KSP updates, Kopernicus has to update to a new version, too.  Since my mod doesn't bundle Kopernicus, I don't have to update my mod with a new version that has the new Kopernicus in it.  When KSP comes up with a new version, I don't have to do a blessed thing-- all I do is go to Spacedock and mark my mod as compatible with the new KSP, and that's that.  Easy peasy.  :)

1 minute ago, Snark said:

Taking off the "moderator hat" for a moment and speaking purely as one modder to another, this would be my advice to you:

• If you really have to have the Astronomer textures in there, switch to a compatible license.
  • Bundling = hassle for you.  Don't bundle so many mods; it makes your life a headache, as you can see (and it puts you in version-update hell, since any time any of them update their versions, you're out of whack).  Instead, just document what to do in the installation instructions, and give people links to where they can download those mods themselves.  Trust me, it saves you a lot of hassle in the long run.

If you reduce what you actually bundle to the bare minimum, and then make sure you've got your posterior covered with the license stuff for that, I think your life will be simpler.  :)

Thanks, I am working on reducing the bundles but it can be difficult since there are a lot of differences with the folders. Would GPLv3 work since I cannot find a compatibility list for it, only GPLv2?

23 minutes ago, Matchlight said:

Thanks, I am working on reducing the bundles but it can be difficult since there are a lot of differences with the folders. Would GPLv3 work since I cannot find a compatibility list for it, only GPLv2?

It can get a bit snarly to sort out, especially when you have N licenses to compare instead of just two.  The answer would depend on just what you plan to include.  Licensing issues are ugly to sort through, yuck.  It's one of the two big reasons why I try to avoid bundling whenever possible.  I'll bundle ModuleManager, but that's it.  (And I don't even bundle ModuleManager if I have a Kopernicus requirement, since anyone running Kopernicus also has to have ModuleManager.)

Other than your own stuff, what are the other mods that you actually have to bundle?  I'm guessing that you basically have to include Astronomer's files, but do you really need to bundle KerbalVisualEnhancements, Kopernicus, ModularFlightIntegrator, EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements, and Scatterer, technically speaking?

Just by way of example, try downloading Galileo's Planet Pack and take a look at how he's got stuff set up in there:

It's a full-fledged solar system replacement, with support for scatterer and EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements-- and he doesn't bundle anything.  If @Galileo can do it, I bet you can.  :)

It does mean that his mod has some rather complicated installation instructions, since he has to explain to prospective users what to install, and where, and in what order.  So I suppose that's a bit of a hassle to set up the first time... but you only have to do it once.  As soon as you've done that, you're golden and can basically just leave it alone-- no need to go and update it every single blessed time you or any of your dependencies update to a new version.  Major win, in the long term.

Just to quote myself a little here to piggy back off @Snark

Using MM really isn't hard if you take the time to learn how it works. Almost ensures that your mod won't break when things update, most of the time. 90% of the work is already done, you just need to add your mm tags to the top of the cfgs and a few brackets here and there. It would maybe take an hour out of your day

Edited by Galileo

The only one that can't be left out is scatterer down to the changes it adds, if TextureReplacer is fine to include then that's the only one causing an issue and I can scrap everything else out.

4 hours ago, Galileo said:

Just to quote myself a little here to piggy back off @Snark

Using MM really isn't hard if you take the time to learn how it works. Almost ensures that your mod won't break when things update, most of the time. 90% of the work is already done, you just need to add your mm tags to the top of the cfgs and a few brackets here and there. It would maybe take an hour out of your day

That's something I would like to take a look into, do you know of any tutorials?

Hi ksp folks.

I need some help as I am not familiar with modding etc.

I installed the visual pack as per the video on youtube. Now if I install all the folders (Step 1 + 2 incl extras). When I start the game, and module manager loads the patches, 25 patches loads in total. However, when I dont install texture replacer, module manger loads 0 patches. Is this correct?

How many patches should load after installing Step 1 & Step 2? 

Your help would be appreciated. 

Oh, I am playing v1.2.2 btw.
Edited by LiacoLNS
Forgot game version details

On 8/22/2017 at 7:42 PM, LiacoLNS said:

Hi ksp folks.

I need some help as I am not familiar with modding etc.

I installed the visual pack as per the video on youtube. Now if I install all the folders (Step 1 + 2 incl extras). When I start the game, and module manager loads the patches, 25 patches loads in total. However, when I dont install texture replacer, module manger loads 0 patches. Is this correct?

How many patches should load after installing Step 1 & Step 2? 

Your help would be appreciated. 

Oh, I am playing v1.2.2 btw.

That sounds about right, there shouldn't be any issues!