[1.8.1+] KSP Craft Organizer - VAB/SPH tags + craft searching

Ker_nale

[This is release thread. Development thread is here]

What is it?

Plugin that allows to search crafts in VAB/SPH by name or by tag and to load saved crafts across save games.

Here is an imgur gallery that should explain everything:

(direct link to imgur because galleries sometimes do not work properly on forum)

Download:

Source code: https://github.com/grzegrzk/ksp-craft-organizer

How to install: unzip downloaded archive and put it in "Kerbal Space Program/GameData" folder.

KSP breaks compatibility of plugins between major versions - for example plugin for KSP version 1.1.x will not be compatible for 1.2.x. Plugin should be compatible between minor KSP versions, for exampe plugin for KSP 1.3.0 should work on 1.3.1.

Contributors

The icons in launcher toolbar were created by forum user cy4n. Thanks a lot :).

Current version

1.6.0 for KSP 1.8.1+

• Localize stock craft names and descriptions
  • Take into account that there maybe replacement parts - vehicles with such parts should not be marked as unavailable
  • Fixed exception while renaming craft on Windows
  • Compiled for KSP 1.8.1

All changes:

Spoiler

1.6.0 for KSP 1.8.1

• Localize stock craft names and descriptions
  • Take into account that there maybe replacement parts - vehicles with such parts should not be marked as unavailable
  • Fixed exception while renaming craft on Windows
  • Compiled for KSP 1.8.1

1.5.5 for KSP 1.4

•  bug correction: vessels were incorrectly marked as unavailable due to science level

1.5.4 for KSP 1.4

• Corrected bug with warning about missing parts

1.5.3 for KSP 1.4

•  when craft is renamed timestamp of the file is not changed
  •  cache all craft data to speed things up
  •  display warning if there are too many crafts displayed at once

1.5.2 for KSP 1.4

• Added indicator about current sort order
  • Added .version file

1.5.1 for KSP 1.4

• Solved problem when user provides craft name containing characters that cannot be part of file name

1.5 for KSP 1.4

• Adjusted to KSP 1.4.1
  • Added possibility to sort crafts on last modification time

1.4.1 for KSP 1.3

• Recompiled the plugin for KSP 1.3

• Adjusted to KSP 1.2.1
  • Added possibility to sort crafts
  • Added "clear" buttons next to each tag group in filter pane

It was compiled with KSP version 1.2.1

• Allow user to import crafts from different saves
  • Cost of craft is now colored accordingly if user has or does not have available funds

It was compiled with KSP version 1.1.3. There is separate version on github and curse for KSP version 1.2.x

• solved problem with default tags not added  in some situations
  • added button "Default tags >>" that is placed below "add tag" button

It was compiled with KSP version 1.1.3.

• Added possibility to collapse tags
  • Corrected the way how numeric values are displayed
  • Changed icons to the ones provided by cy4n
  • Tooltips are now displayed also when user mouse-over craft thumbnail
  • Added new default tag: "MasterpieceAmongCrafts" to underline the fact that you can create tags without categories :)

•  Fix: list of crafts is not refreshed when craft is deleted
  •  Fix "unsaved changes" dialog displayed when user has unmodified new craft
  •  Fix bug with wrongly displayed tags in scenario: go to VAB -> open craft -> rename -> save -> assign new tags -> launch -> recover vessel -> go to VAB -> click "tags"
  •  Fix bug with image sometimes displayed outside tooltip

• Corrected NRE when plugin is used for first time

• Changed the way how filtering works. If user selects many tags in single group then there are displayed crafts that have ANY tag. Previously craft had to have ALL selected tags. When user selects tags from different groups then old behaviour remains.
  • Corrected bug with not saved tags when player uses "Go To" mod
  • Selected filters are remembered separately for VAB crafts in VAB, SPH crafts in VAB, VAB crafts in SPH and SPH crafts in SPH

The first public release

I hope you will enjoy it :).

Edited by Ker_nale

I think something like this has been needed for a while.

However, for me, it would have been great if the alternative File Open option just opened the OS's file-open dialogue. This would allow sorting by name, date, etc and, importantly, navigation to other saves folders to open craft from there. 

this is awesome!

suggestion: since you're already improving the save system (a lot :) ) could you add an option to save the crafts independent of the save?

so it's easier to copy crafts from save to save? i imagine this would be an incredibly useful thing to have in an all-in-one craft-manager^^

:D 

This mod is absolutely invaluable. Would be really nice though if there were some more options for customising e.g. the size of the window and which tags/categories are displayed by default in the craft list (i.e. so having lots of tags doesn't cause the screen to get all bloated and awkward)

14 minutes ago, baldamundo said:

This mod is absolutely invaluable. Would be really nice though if there were some more options for customising e.g. the size of the window and which tags/categories are displayed by default in the craft list (i.e. so having lots of tags doesn't cause the screen to get all bloated and awkward)

I agree with this^.

Also, are you referring to the Default Tags as contained in the Settings.conf in the KSPCraftOrganizer folder? Those you can edit and it updates realtime.

56 minutes ago, 9bananas said:

this is awesome!

suggestion: since you're already improving the save system (a lot :) ) could you add an option to save the crafts independent of the save?

so it's easier to copy crafts from save to save? i imagine this would be an incredibly useful thing to have in an all-in-one craft-manager^^

:D 

You know you can just copy the craft files over (out of game), right? I agree with you though. I would add...the ability to copy craft from the VAB > SPH and vice versa (which can also be done out of game).

41 minutes ago, Deimos Rast said:

Also, are you referring to the Default Tags as contained in the Settings.conf in the KSPCraftOrganizer folder? Those you can edit and it updates realtime.

I mean the way when you're scrolling through the craft list, each craft has a list of tags. At the moment, I think it just shows every single tag the craft has, each one on a new line. Which means that if you add a lot of tags to things, the craft list becomes very unwieldy and can only fit a few craft at a time. It would be handy if we could customise it so as not every tag appears in that list on a new line for every craft. This is surprisingly cumbersome to explain, I should do a screenshot and circle the relevant bits probably

2 hours ago, Deimos Rast said:

You know you can just copy the craft files over (out of game), right? I agree with you though. I would add...the ability to copy craft from the VAB > SPH and vice versa (which can also be done out of game).

Yes i know...but that's way too much effort XD

Hi All,

I am happy to announce that the mod is now available on CKAN so if anyone was waiting for this moment it is right now :).

A few answers to some topics that you mentioned:

9 hours ago, Foxster said:

I think something like this has been needed for a while.

However, for me, it would have been great if the alternative File Open option just opened the OS's file-open dialogue. This would allow sorting by name, date, etc and, importantly, navigation to other saves folders to open craft from there. 

I am not sure if OS's file-open dialog is possible to be displayed inside game. From the old times when I was more interested in programming 3D graphics it was not possible on Windows according to my knowledge.

I will think about possibility to open crafts from different saves. I did not expected that there would be demand for it - I have never needed it.

3 hours ago, baldamundo said:

I have enough problems to place things even if user cannot change window size so right now I would say no. What is the problem with current size? Is it too big? Too small? It should occupy 80% of the height of your monitor. Also, it respects "GUI Scale" that you choose in the KSP settings if you prefer smaller/bigger UI.

2 hours ago, baldamundo said:

I mean the way when you're scrolling through the craft list, each craft has a list of tags. At the moment, I think it just shows every single tag the craft has, each one on a new line. Which means that if you add a lot of tags to things, the craft list becomes very unwieldy and can only fit a few craft at a time. It would be handy if we could customise it so as not every tag appears in that list on a new line for every craft. This is surprisingly cumbersome to explain, I should do a screenshot and circle the relevant bits probably

There are two different things:

1. Tags "in categories" (like Bodies\Duna - "Bodies" is category). Each category will be displayed in new line.
  2. Other tags - you can create tag like "Duna" (i.e without any slash/backslash). All such tags will be displayed in single line. If you want to arrange them in alphabetic order in some consistent way you can come up with things like "Bodies_Duna", "Bodies_Kerbin". Everything that contains neither "/" nor "\".

You can create your own category "OtherTags" and have "OtherTags\Bodies\Duna", "OtherTags\Bodies\Kerbin" and so on. All such tags will be displayed in single line "OtherTags".

Also, thank you that most of you liked it ! :)

Edited by Ker_nale

3 hours ago, baldamundo said:

no, I know exactly what you mean. I suggested a collapsible tag tree a while back (I think) for this very issue.

13 hours ago, Deimos Rast said:

no, I know exactly what you mean. I suggested a collapsible tag tree a while back (I think) for this very issue.

I was focusing on fixing bugs. I think that collapsible tags will be included in the next release :).

Hi All,

I have released new version of the plugin (1.1).

Changes:

• Added possibility to collapse tags
  • Corrected the way how numeric values are displayed
  • Changed launcher icons to the ones provided by cy4n in this post
  • Tooltips are now displayed also when user mouse-over craft thumbnail
  • Added new default tag: "MasterpieceAmongCrafts" to underline the fact that you can create tags without categories :)

Downloads:

I hope you will enjoy it! :)

Edited by Ker_nale

14 hours ago, Beetlecat said:

Oh -- and massive thanks to allowing the function of custom "archive" type tags. This seems like a perfect way of "hiding" stock craft in a career game until you're ready to see them. 

Yes, I thought that it could be useful for some people :)

I updated the plugin to version 1.1.1

If you have installed version 1.1 and have a problem that you do not have default tags then it was caused by a bug.
To solve it you can click button "Default tags >>" that I placed below "add tag" button in the right-hand sidebar and add them by single button-click :).

note: if you have edited "settings.conf" file by hand then please notice that this release will automatically add default available tags to it to solve bug introduced in 1.1. You can delete added tags by hand if you want.

Downloads:

I hope you will enjoy it! :)

Edited by Ker_nale

9 hours ago, Beetlecat said:

Do you have any plans or notions for sharing tags between saves?

I did not have such plans - the tags are not shared by design. How would you like to share them? To mark some of them as "global"?

You can have something like that by editing "settings.conf" file inside plugin folder. There are defined default tags that will be added to new saves. Moreover now there is "Default tags >>" button so you will be able to add them to existing saves as well. Is it the thing that you like? Unfortunately there is no GUI for it - you have to edit settings.conf by hand.

Different thing that I plan, but that may be related, is adding possibility to load crafts from different saves. If you import craft with some already assigned tags they will be automatically added to your current save.

11 hours ago, Ker_nale said:

I did not have such plans - the tags are not shared by design. How would you like to share them? To mark some of them as "global"?

You can have something like that by editing "settings.conf" file inside plugin folder. There are defined default tags that will be added to new saves. Moreover now there is "Default tags >>" button so you will be able to add them to existing saves as well. Is it the thing that you like? Unfortunately there is no GUI for it - you have to edit settings.conf by hand.

Different thing that I plan, but that may be related, is adding possibility to load crafts from different saves. If you import craft with some already assigned tags they will be automatically added to your current save.

Your final note was the exact thing I had in mind!

My thought behind "sharing" tags between saves was that my main sandbox game is for building and testing craft-- and even importing other's shared crafts (like a whole library of @Raptor9's stuff) and this mod is utterly perfect to simply make sense of it all. Migrating craft to the "Production Environment" of career or other save would require the re-doing of any tag framework and assignments to individual crafts. Being able to import crafts from within the game and preserving their tag assignments is Spot-on. :D

1 minute ago, Beetlecat said:

Your final note was the exact thing I had in mind!

My thought behind "sharing" tags between saves was that my main sandbox game is for building and testing craft-- and even importing other's shared crafts (like a whole library of @Raptor9's stuff) and this mod is utterly perfect to simply make sense of it all. Migrating craft to the "Production Environment" of career or other save would require the re-doing of any tag framework and assignments to individual crafts. Being able to import crafts from within the game and preserving their tag assignments is Spot-on. :D

Now I understand :). I assume that currently you copy the crafts between saves by hand. In such a case for the time being you can copy not only *.craft files but also *.crmgr files where the tags are stored :) (each *.craft file has companion *.crmgr file).

oh! I hadn't dug into the folder structure of the mod, yet. That's great to know! Are tags store centrally, or within the individual save's file & directory structure?

I'll feel free to tag away, then.

Edited by Beetlecat

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I have updated the plugin to version 1.3. Now it allows to load crafts from different saves. I hope you will enjoy it :).
I know that @9bananas was asking for easier copying crafts across saves. The current verstion may help him.

I think that @Beetlecat was asking to have such feature. Here it is :).

nFpSbiM.png

Download (the same as in first post, just repeated here for your convenience):

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.