The Ultimate Challenge (Originally by Just Jim)

On 8/1/2016 at 11:06 AM, HoloYolo said:

The Ultimate Challenge (Originally by Just Jim)

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but here goes nothing.

I was working on my career game yesterday for my fan-fiction project when I checked into mission control, and saw a contract offer that stunned me.  It's a challenge so huge it's given me an opportunity to totally change my story plot and add a whole new section.

I've searched everywhere in the challenge section, and I'm not finding this one. 
If it's out there, and I'm necro-ing an old challenge, then I apologize and ask this be taken down, OK?
It's called the Ultimate Challenge, and the rules are simple:

Visit all 14 bodies in the Kerbin solar system in one ship and return home to tell the tale.  :0.0:

vYpu7sP.jpg

yV3f1C6.jpg

I looked at it... then looked again, closed my eyes, held my breath, and hit accept..... 

So here's the deal.  According to the forum rules, I can't really issue this as an official challenge unless I do it, or at least make a really good attempt at it, first.  Which is what I'm going to do.  It's probably the hardest thing I can think of doing in the game... and a marvelous opportunity to exploit for my fan-fiction story.
How can I say no???
Oh, and because I'm a sadist, I'm doing it stock.

If I can do this, I'll make it an official challenge, and make a badge and all that. 
Unless someone else has already done it and wants to take over.
Which makes me wonder, has anyone done this?  Has anyone attempted it?
Am I bringing up an old challenge I just can't find?

Comments?  Ideas???  Or perhaps just some insane laughter at the thought???'

@5thHorseman  Persistent file download for the contract  DOWNLOAD ultimate_challenge.zip  

@Just Jim and @Speeding Mullet for helping my to find a badge

z30Rshm.jpg

Since this challenge is literally the biggest challenge I've seen since Jool-5, it will not be judged by weight, funds, etc. Just these 4 categories

Stock:

Modded:

Single Launch (You da real MVP): Kergarin completed with a single launch ISRU spaceplane. Sweet as Vanilla and BadS ( https://youtu.be/FXAzQk01vuw )

Multiple Launches:Jetski completed with 2 launches (plus a failed 3rd launch). Mods?

Challenge Limbo (Not saying what mods, how many launches etc. Don't end up here):

By the way, please do this in the latest version. Also, modded parts should be treated like the way Jool 5's rules do. 

Tell ya what, since multiple versions seem to be a concern, I'll do it with a new ship, all in the same version, once 1.2 comes out.

I'll finish my contract in career mode then plan a proper grand tour mission with all the funds I'll have. I might even do a new sandbox game to take advantage of the Y6 Eeloo transfer window.

Just now, DustInTheWind said:

Tell ya what, since multiple versions seem to be a concern, I'll do it with a new ship, all in the same version, once 1.2 comes out.

I'll finish my contract in career mode then plan a proper grand tour mission with all the funds I'll have. I might even do a new sandbox game to take advantage of the Y6 Eeloo transfer window.

Alright then. The only reason I have a concern for versions is that I fear that balance and game changes could change big enough to where it's game changing I guess.

4 hours ago, DustInTheWind said:

There is a career mode savegame in the first post starting at day 1 where the ultimate challenge contract is unlocked and accepted.

I would use this. :wink: You can use all transfer windows and will have the confirmation of finishing the contract in the end.

14 hours ago, Kergarin said:

There is a career mode savegame in the first post starting at day 1 where the ultimate challenge contract is unlocked and accepted.

I would use this. :wink: You can use all transfer windows and will have the confirmation of finishing the contract in the end.

Since I already have about 600-800 hours into my main career at year 61 day 320 (I started that one in 1.05), and I have 415+ years left to complete the contract, I can just wait and do it with a new ship. It probably would take me more than 10 in-game years to fully build up my tech tree, plus I'll have to deploy a CommNet either way to control any probe cores.That will be easier with my current funding level of over 40 million.

And coincidentally, the best Jool transfer window for the next 10 years is in 2 days, so Jool 5 Challenge, here I come!

• 1 month later...

Well, something broke between the VAB and Eve orbit on my 1st lander, so I am sending a second lander instead of going back to an earlier save. The first lander's transfer stage also acted as a tanker for the inner system mothership. It was an older design that hadn't been tested since 1.05 anyway. Just Eve, Moho, Minmus, and the Mun left. Mission report with 200-300 screen caps either today or tomorrow. 

Interestingly, while I was running this mission, TWO more UC's popped up as contracts. One was a flyby, and the other was another landing contract. However they both were met by running this mission. imgur of the contracts

Challenge is completed, but I still have over 200 screenshots left to upload. Six launches in total, but I could have done it in four if I didn't make two stupid mistakes. Uploads should be done after class tonight. 

Edited by DustInTheWind
Spelling

6 minutes ago, DustInTheWind said:

Interestingly, while I was running this mission, TWO more UC's popped up as contracts. One was a flyby, and the other was another landing contract. However they bother were met by running this mission. imgur of the contracts

Challenge is completed, but I still have over 200 screenshots left to upload. Six launches in total, but I could have done it in four if I didn't make two stupid mistakes. Uploads should be done after class tonight. 

Congratulations! :)

Looking forwad forward to see this. But...Could you make a highlight version with less pictures, too? :D

2 hours ago, Kergarin said:

Congratulations! :)

Looking forwad forward to see this. But...Could you make a highlight version with less pictures, too? :D

I already have the Jool, Eeloo, Dres leg up as an album of over 100 pictures for my Jool 5 Submission: 

Jool 5, Eeloo, Dres

I can create a "highlight" album for the rest.

EDIT: Okay, even the "highlight" album for everything after Dres was still 97 images. I must have taken over 400 screencaps. 

Everything else

Launches: Six

Informational Mods used: MJ, KER, DPAI, Precise Node 

Parts Mods: Modular Fuel Tanks (to switch LFO tanks to LF only), Near Future Spacecraft (for the low-profile lander engine, and 5-way RCS blocks), Near Future Construction (for a single adapter), and the Official 1.25M parts pack for the pretty new Mk1 Pod.

*Eve ascent might have an image from a different attempt

Edited by DustInTheWind
Updated with second Imgur album, and mods used

2 hours ago, DustInTheWind said:

I already have the Jool, Eeloo, Dres leg up as an album of over 100 pictures for my Jool 5 Submission: 

Jool 5, Eeloo, Dres

I can create a "highlight" album for the rest.

EDIT: Okay, even the "highlight" album for everything after Dres was still 97 images. I must have taken over 400 screencaps. 

Everything else

Launches: Six

Informational Mods used: MJ, KER, DPAI, Precise Node 

Parts Mods: Modular Fuel Tanks (to switch LFO tanks to LF only), Near Future Spacecraft (for the low-profile lander engine, and 5-way RCS blocks), Near Future Construction (for a single adapter), and the Official 1.25M parts pack for the pretty new Mk1 Pod.

*Eve ascent might have an image from a different attempt

Congratulations! I'll add you to the leaderboard in a second. Take your badge and pride with you!

Just a heads up that I updated the leaderboard and rules. If you want to start the challenge, please take a look. Also, have fun.

My entry is coming soon. I have a few more missions I need to do first though, then I will have time to complete it. On my YouTube channel many of my videos are missions that are done to test the landers and equipment I will be bringing. It is quite a fun challenge balancing efficiency with part count. my biggest issue was the Eve lander, but now I have a transfer stage that can get the lander there. I will be making a thread with my testing videos and it will also harbor my final video, which I expect to be over 30 minutes long.I thought a while back this challenge was impossible to complete and now after being inspired by others. I am prepared to prove myself wrong. (The only question is "oh my god how big is my launch vehicle going to be?")

40 minutes ago, JacobJHC said:

My entry is coming soon. I have a few more missions I need to do first though, then I will have time to complete it. On my YouTube channel many of my videos are missions that are done to test the landers and equipment I will be bringing. It is quite a fun challenge balancing efficiency with part count. my biggest issue was the Eve lander, but now I have a transfer stage that can get the lander there. I will be making a thread with my testing videos and it will also harbor my final video, which I expect to be over 30 minutes long.I thought a while back this challenge was impossible to complete and now after being inspired by others. I am prepared to prove myself wrong. (The only question is "oh my god how big is my launch vehicle going to be?")

I wish I could think the same about my abilities.

Just now, HoloYolo said:

I wish I could think the same about my abilities.

I am sure you can. When I first began attempting the Jool 5 Challenge I thought that it would require something massive and larger that I might be able to build, but then as I progressed I made breakthroughs in my crafts. I'm sure if you give it alot of time and effort you will reach an advancement that will make the entire thing easy.

Also @EvermoreAlpaca did it:

Truly and amazing mission.

Thanks!

I will say that if I did it again with the Mk-1 pod, I would use the small nose cone instead of the Clamp-o-tron Jr on the pod. The utility of the second docking port was limited when compared to the drag that design caused on Eve. Also, I would do Eve first and enclose the rear docking port in a faring. If stock had a 5-way RCS block that was a little more heat tolerant, or pods had integrated RCS like some RL spacecraft, I really wouldn't have needed any part mods except for the fuel switcher.

I plan to try again sometime in the future with a probe core/command chair combo and a Mk-1 Lander Can as the interplanetary habitat. 

• 1 month later...

Right-I've been staring at this challenge for a while now, and I think I'm finally getting to the point where I'm ready to give it a go. Before I start, I just want to clarify a few things-

First, clearly the vessel has to start as a unified whole in LKO. Beyond that starting point, is there a limit to how much we can split it up? I have an... unusual profile in mind that relies on fragmenting my vessel.

Second, is it okay if I use a stock electric propeller? It would make Eve so much easier, but it requires part clipping.

26 minutes ago, IncongruousGoat said:

First, clearly the vessel has to start as a unified whole in LKO. Beyond that starting point, is there a limit to how much we can split it up? I have an... unusual profile in mind that relies on fragmenting my vessel.

I will allow it just as long as the vessel launches as one part and then splits up.

27 minutes ago, IncongruousGoat said:

Second, is it okay if I use a stock electric propeller? It would make Eve so much easier, but it requires part clipping.

One of the rules I have added is that mods must be stock-like, visual, or info only. So according to the rules, yes. But before you use it, can you send me a few pictures so I can take a look at it?

5 hours ago, HoloYolo said:

One of the rules I have added is that mods must be stock-like, visual, or info only. So according to the rules, yes. But before you use it, can you send me a few pictures so I can take a look at it?

Never mind on the propeller thing-I've found them much harder than anticipated to build.

Also, I take it it's fine to do this in sandbox. Right?

19 minutes ago, IncongruousGoat said:

Never mind on the propeller thing-I've found them much harder than anticipated to build.

Also, I take it it's fine to do this in sandbox. Right?

I'd use the persistent file that I put up for download. 4.7 million funds should be alright for this challenge.

Edited by HoloYolo

5 hours ago, IncongruousGoat said:

And... it's done!

Mission thread is here:

Man, that was a ride. I think I'm going to play some other game for a few days...

If you have any questions, ask away.

No questions. Congrats!

1 minute ago, HoloYolo said:

No questions. Congrats!

Thank you! Unfortunately, the contract didn't complete. Trying to actually complete the contract would require a quite different approach using some sort of chair-in-service-bay-with-docking-port affair that would then attach to various landers, so that "one vessel" actually landed on every single body and then returned to Kerbin intact. Of course, this would require a lot of docking and shunting, increase vessel mass by a significant amount, and play hob with aerodynamics on Eve and Laythe due to the need to have a (blunt, unaerodynamic) docking port on top of the cabin, so that a tug can push the cabin onto a lander. Those places were bad enough with aerodynamic vehicles; I don't want to think about how awful they would be with a blunt plate on top of my lander...

Just now, IncongruousGoat said:

Thank you! Unfortunately, the contract didn't complete. Trying to actually complete the contract would require a quite different approach using some sort of chair-in-service-bay-with-docking-port affair that would then attach to various landers, so that "one vessel" actually landed on every single body and then returned to Kerbin intact. Of course, this would require a lot of docking and shunting, increase vessel mass by a significant amount, and play hob with aerodynamics on Eve and Laythe due to the need to have a (blunt, unaerodynamic) docking port on top of the cabin, so that a tug can push the cabin onto a lander. Those places were bad enough with aerodynamic vehicles; I don't want to think about how awful they would be with a blunt plate on top of my lander...

Oh my, sounds like quite a nightmare. Don't worry, I'm still counting it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.