What do you consider cheating?

storm_soldier2377

There are many things that us KSP players do that some would consider cheating and others justified. Here's a small list of things that may be a little controversial:

• Using mods that can be considered making the game easier,
    • MechJeb
    • Delta V readouts like Kerbal Engineer
    • Using ScanSat to find easter eggs
  • Using HyperEdit to replace a ship eaten by the Kraken
    • Using HyperEdit to replace progress lost due to game crash
  • Using launch window planners or other types of assistance
  • Abusing bugs of any kind, even if it is just warping a ship to cancel torque
  • Using cheats to deploy the solar panels you forgot to deploy
  • Excessive use of parts considered unrealistic

..and many others I am not aware of right now. What do you consider cheating? Discuss.

Holding hands whilst upsetting is not cheating. Kissing however is definitely cheating. 

Oh wait hang on..

lol,

not another cheating thread. If you feel like you are cheating yourself then you are. And unless you are entering a competition with rules within rules you cannot cheat in KSP.

LOL.

Use of navigational computers, totally cool. Apollo had the AGC/DSKY. I can have MechJeb. Kerbals ain't cave men launching into the sky on exploding trees... wait... :confused:

As for infinite fuel, I avoid it like the plague... with the exception of one scenario... I have abused it extensively to rebuild a fleet after the 0.25 --> 0.90 transition bugged out ALL my craft and made everything disintegrate. Needed fast rescues for my over 50 kerbals in orbit. I also replaced the big toroidal stations using infinite fuel, rather than asparagus staging them again. Jesus, that's hard to asparagus stage 13 stacks of Kerbodyne s3-14400, three tall!, to launch a 25 meter, wide as the VAB ring station into orbit... in one go! :P

TOTALLY fine using infinite fuels for it's replacement!

Just when you think you may have seen the last one...

No offense to the OP but this thread topic has been discussed to death and then locked more times than we care to count.

It's unfortunate but this question almost always leads to bickering and personal attacks. Bottom line is you can't cheat anyone but yourself in a single player sandbox game, play how you want, in whatever way seems "fair" and "balanced" to you.

1 minute ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Just when you think you may have seen the last one...

No offense to the OP but this thread topic has been discussed to death and then locked more times than we care to count.

It's unfortunate but this question almost always leads to bickering and personal attacks. Bottom line is you can't cheat anyone but yourself in a single player sandbox game, play how you want, in whatever way seems "fair" and "balanced" to you.

Excuse me then, I am rather new to this forum and haven't seen this brought up before. 

Yes I am aware that each individual player has their own way of playing a single player game and was just curious about other people's opinion on the subject. This is hardly something I would imagine would lead to bickering and personal attacks, this isn't politics.

1 minute ago, storm_soldier2377 said:

Excuse me then, I am rather new to this forum and haven't seen this brought up before. 

Yes I am aware that each individual player has their own way of playing a single player game and was just curious about other people's opinion on the subject. This is hardly something I would imagine would lead to bickering and personal attacks, this isn't politics.

No one is blaming you, you couldn't have known that this is a recurring issue.

I've personally seen 3 of these threads created, devolve into arguments/personal insults, then get locked...and I haven't even been here very long compared to some others.

The real problem here is this is a question to which there is no real answer or consensus.  "Cheating" is such a subjective thing, it's difficult to discuss and compare opinions. Someone always ends up feeling slighted or looked down upon for their chosen play style. I'm not against this discussion personally, if we could all be adults and refrain from getting snarky, argumentative, and defensive. Sadly I think this is a conversation best reserved for a small group of like minded friends.

Despite risking to derail this thread into madness....

I consider myself personally cheated if I use MechJeb.  I do use KER, though, as readouts and assistance in rocket surgery are not one-ma-er-kerbal jobs.

I'll recycle my reply from the last thread like this:

Playing KSP is cheating. If you want to go to space, you really must spend a lifetime training, studying, and politicking for a slim chance of being selected for an astronaut/cosmonaut/whatever-the-Chinese-call-their-nauts program. Sitting in front of a PC and pressing the spacebar to go to space cheapens the real accomplishment of those who have made it.

Accept that we are all filthy cheaters, then such questions become a matter of degree rather than of nature. If everything is cheating, it changes from "Is it cheating?" to "How bad is this cheating?"

More seriously: Nobody cares. Play the game however you find most enjoyable and tell anyone who accuses you of cheating to pound sand.

32 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

More seriously: Nobody cares. Play the game however you find most enjoyable and tell anyone who accuses you of cheating to pound sand.

Totally agree. The only way you can possibly cheat is cheating yourself out of enjoying the game. Play the game YOU want, not how somebody else wants you to.

Oh, look. Somebody dug up the dead horse to beat it yet again. It's a single-player game. Nobody's opinion about how you play it matters unless you want it to. Have fun and quit worrying about it.