How to create a clean installation of KSP?

If you are not using Steam for KSP, its easy... Just creat an empty folder (NOT in C:\Program Files, \Program Files x86, or \Program  Data), name it something descriptive like "KSP RO Install", and unzip the KSP .zip into it...

If you are on Steam, then its more involved; I have no idea how THAT worx; Hopefully someone familiar with Steam will post instructions...

Clean install using Steam:

If you want to keep your current install on Steam, create a folder somewhere (I usually just put it on the desktop), name it "Steam Install" (or whatever), then copy and paste the entire KSP folder from your SteamApps/Common folder to the new one you just created.  Once you're sure that that works (you can start the game from the .exe inside the KSP folder), you can safely delete the entire KSP folder from the SteamApps/Common folder.

Because you've deleted the Steam KSP installation, you should now open Steam and go to your library.  Right click KSP and select "Delete Local Content".  That will get rid of anything to do with KSP from the Steam folder.  After that's done, just redownload KSP from Steam like you would anytime you're redownloading a game for one reason or another.  At this point, you can either leave the new install in the SteamApps/Common folder and place your RO install there according to directions for that mod, or you can repeat the above paragraph to have a second install on your desktop for an RO version of the game.

Because there's no real DRM on KSP, you can have as many copies of it on your computer as you want, for different versions of the game, or for different mod configurations.  For example, I have shortcuts to three versions of KSP on my desktop - modded 1.0.5, stock 1.1.3, and modded 1.1.3.  There is also a single folder that contains those versions, plus several others, on my desktop.  If I want to play one of the others, I just go into that folder, and either use the .exe there, or create a shortcut that goes on my desktop.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.