McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II [Stock Replica]

Listen to this while flying :cool:.

Here's a replica of the famous USAF/USN fighter/interceptor from the Cold War-era, the McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II.

uXFgNt5.png

orNQ2q4.png

Featuring fairly accurate scaling to Kerbal dimensions, and full function of twin Panther engines, this F-4 replica carries 2 crew in its tandem cockpit setup, and has a probe core in the upper fuselage for use as a training drone and/or for more accurate manned piloting ("fly-by-wire").

hiIMUw2.png

//ACTION GROUPS://
1 toggles the engines, 2 toggles afterburners.

If the demand is there, I might make a variant equipped with BDArmory munitions and gear.
*WARNING: Be careful when taking off, as the rear landing gear might overstress if pushed too hard.*

Download HERE

Edited by ScriptKitt3h

9 minutes ago, YoeriCookie said:

Nice one!

One complaint: you seem to have forgotten the area under the tandem cockpit. it's filled up.

I should post my F4 aswell, along with the other aircraft I've been making...

Thanks for reminding me of that, I'll have to look at fixing that. EDIT: Made a minor addition of filling in that gap using an radial intake's exterior to match the fuselage, download link's been updated.

Edited by ScriptKitt3h

In addition (though I haven't fixed that under-cockpit gap on this model yet), I've also gone ahead and made a BDArmory-equipped version (based off later-model F4's equipped with internal guns).

2dJjM91.png

Download for the BDA-armed version here. If there's a problem with it, let me know and I'll check on my install of BDA and update the craft as needed.

OPb1ZAb.png

It comes equipped with a weapon manager, 4 AIM-9s, 2 MK82 free-drop bombs, an internal Vulcan cannon in the nose (closest I could get to the nose-gun version of the F4), flares+chaff, and an AI pilot module for attempting to dogfight it against other KSP fighters, replicas or not.

Edited by ScriptKitt3h

So, after seeing this image of a proposed supersonic (as in, Mach 3 range) variant of the F4:

ySPlzfl.jpg

I decided to make a modified version of my replica, named the F-4X Super Phantom.

Ws57hwC.png

While not an exact replica of the proposed F4 variant, it does match the proposed performance and flight envelope enhancements- reliable Mach 3-range flight at high altitudes. In addition, it also sports a pair of external droptanks, to provide extended range on its flight time due to the fuel-guzzling of the twin Turbo-Ramjet engines in the back.

mAbLnCO.png
S0JqfZE.png

The F-4X Super Phantom can be downloaded here.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.