Devnotes Tuesday: Two sprints down, one to go!

SQUAD

6 hours ago, KerbMav said:

I have some more, more specific questions for @RoverDude :

"Set DSN to 0" - where are science reports received in this case? Is KSC the last receiving link in the chain and will it work similar to a rover on any other body regarding occlusion?

Speaking of which: occlusion is being included I remember, but simplified - so every body is seen as a perfect sphere I guess, mountains not hindering the signal?
(What about places below "sea level" of the body though?)

Loss of signal will impair control - in which way exactly?

Edit: Somehow my phone did not show me the last posts in this thread. :P
So, DSN can only be completely deactivated and will have to be replaced by a mod - no simple reducing communications to KSC?

1.  Up to the mod you're replacing it with.

2.  With soft occlusion (and no raytracing) mountains will not occlude.

3.  Loss of signal limits your control options.

4.  You can adjust the DSN range multiplier.  To disable it entirely, just set it to zero. 

45 minutes ago, beelzerob said:

It won't be like remote tech.  You'll never completely lose signal with a probe, but you'll instead have "degraded" control when there is no signal path.  My guess would be something like the throttle only goes to full on or full off until signal is restored.  Also, no signal delay.

Something like this, yes

4 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

You can adjust the DSN range multiplier.  To disable it entirely, just set it to zero.

Range being calculated from Kerbin's core?

So, what would be the setting to limit myself to reception at KSC (or in other words to ground level, requiring the manual building of a receiving station)?

2 hours ago, NathanKell said:

@5thHorseman Autostruts won't restrut unless the vessel is modified, so probably what happened was they were still strutting that tank _despite_ it being light now.

Hm. It was probably what I thought at the time then - ridiculously high TWR because the transfer stage was quite large and quite empty when the problem started.

2 hours ago, beelzerob said:

It won't be like remote tech.  You'll never completely lose signal with a probe, but you'll instead have "degraded" control when there is no signal path.  My guess would be something like the throttle only goes to full on or full off until signal is restored.  Also, no signal delay.

1 hour ago, RoverDude said:

Something like this, yes

That is very unfortunate, the ability to execute a maneuver node planned before the signal blackout is the foundation stone of mission without pilot

Edited by brusura

1 hour ago, KerbMav said:

So, what would be the setting to limit myself to reception at KSC (or in other words to ground level, requiring the manual building of a receiving station)?

600km + ... 75m or so.  Make it 601km for a greater range of ground stations.

Edited by regex

1 minute ago, regex said:

600km + ... 75m or so.  Make it 601km to avoid decimals.

That would have been my guess, had he not said "range multiplier".

13 minutes ago, brusura said:

That is very unfortunate, the ability to execute a maneuver node planned before the signal blackout is the foundation stone of mission without pilot

You can plan at least one node and let the probecore aim at it (as long as SAS is not turned off on signal loss) before loss of signal.

Want to quickly point out that in one of the first ever dev blogs, it was said that development takes place in the form of "Sprints", with the plan that every 3-4 weeks there would be another stable release. Judging by the title of this weeks post, you can VERY VAGUELY judge that 1.2 may drop in 3-4 weeks. Please do not quote me on this though :P

Just now, KerbMav said:

That would have been my guess, had he not said "range multiplier".

Then you just have to wait for the update to figure out how to adjust the multiplier, and it shouldn't be hard to figure out..  I mean, we're all playing this guessing game at feature specifics when the devs clearly don't want to give specifics right now.

12 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

ITT: Fretting about things we don't have enough information about to make reasonable assumptions, therefore assuming the absolute worst. Oh, and a heaping helping of inability to just wait and see.

Hush you infidelly sane you!

Uncontrolled fretting and intense debate about possible changes without any access to actual facts is our divine right as forum users!

Or at least we can whine over how possible additions to the game might destroy our gameplay.

26 minutes ago, Curveball Anders said:

Or at least we can whine over how possible additions to the game might destroy our gameplay.

We drank all that whine after 1.0 came out.

So glad to see work being done on the optimization front!  I've been taking a break from KSP for a good while because the performance in some of the latest versions has been simply unplayable on my already weak laptop- but totally looking forward to loading KSP back up again come this update!   :)

7 hours ago, KerbMav said:

Kerbin's diameter is already worked in.  

13 hours ago, KerbMav said:

This is what I originally understood from the squadcast mentioned earlier (which appears to not be the case). At first I tried to simulate this with AntennaRange. However, limiting Kerbin's range to a certain altitude involves all of Kerbin; not just the KSC. Hence you can have a working connection when you're at one of the poles as long as you're below this maximum altitude, even without a satellite network. I have now made a custom profile in RemoteTech that I think combines the different mechanisms from RemoteTech and the upcoming stock telemetry system. I use KSC as default, and only use the stock antenna's that now only have omnidirectional capabilities. This way I can simulate having a required tracking station at KSC and build my own network on top of this. Hopefully I will be able to easily replace RemoteTech with the stock telemetry system, or disable telemetry and happily keep using RemoteTech. Either way, I am happy with this setup.

On 3.8.2016 at 5:30 PM, Red Iron Crown said:

Just back up that install and continue to use it until your mods update.

On 3.8.2016 at 5:59 PM, Alshain said:

For every person enjoying 1.1.x, there seems to be a person still waiting on a playable Unity 5 version of KSP.  If Squad delayed 1.2 any more than absolutely necessary there likely would be a pitchfork mob.

82e07402c94674dab1761ed5cba76725.jpg

:sticktongue:

The only thing that worries me about the auto strutting is that it might affect the spacecraft exchange scene. The ship that uses auto strutting may no longer be stable without auto strutting, that means all the people who want to share their crafts will have to specify if they use auto strutting or not. And since the data about auto strutting is most likely not preserved in the craft save file, you'll also have to manually enable auto strutting every time you want to use someone else's ship.

Edited by WhereAmI

58 minutes ago, WhereAmI said:

The only thing that worries me about the auto strutting is that it might affect the spacecraft exchange scene. The ship that uses auto strutting may no longer be stable without auto strutting, that means all the people who want to share their crafts will have to specify if they use auto strutting or not. And since the data about auto strutting is most likely not preserved in the craft save file, you'll also have to manually enable auto strutting every time you want to use someone else's ship.

I don't expect this issue to arise. Autostrutting is intrinsic to the .craft. Only the option to toggle autostruts per-part is dependent upon difficulty (I assume) settings. Once a part is autostrutting, or not, the user can turn off the Advanced Tweakables option, and the part's individual setting will persist (assuming, of course, that a save was applied).

1 hour ago, WhereAmI said:

I wouldn't assume autostrutting is not in the .craft file, in act I'd assume the opposite. And if it is, this is no different than thrust limiting or any other VAB-tweakable thing.

On ‎3‎.‎8‎.‎2016 at 1:37 AM, SQUAD said:

the safe-deploy option for parachutes

I was watching replay of Squadcast,@NathanKell is talking(time stamp-00:26:44),this feature was added back in 1.0.5 and is only possible to activate "auto safe deployment" through .cfg file.
Since there is no line in "Module Parachute" that can be changed to activate this behavior,i'm asking what needs to be added?

autoDeploy = True //??

23 hours ago, brusura said:

It's been stated there will be an option to crank it up so that you can get full signal loss.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.