[1.12.x] 1869 Steampunk Mod - Back in Black! (and brass)

Fengist

Lze2kuL.png

Now with over 50 steampunk parts!

uD1Pqv6.png
Required Plugins:
NADDA!

Thanks to @Kerb-fu and his Vertical Propulsion Emporium for the inspiration for this mod.
Thanks to @Beale and his modding tutorial  He's responsible for this.
And thanks to all the fans of Maritime Pack! I hope you enjoy this one as well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

License:  Modified CC Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs.
Code Source - MPUtils - Fengist Anim - FSResizer
____________________________________________________________________________________________

Known Issues

Spoiler
  • The emissives on some parts are not working as intended.  I've looked into it and will need to dig further. It's an issue with having lots of old parts getting recycled into new Unity versions and animations breaking.

Wzu8lNj.png

AJnEYI7.png

Ubfo55y.png

kaNoHru.png

Et6Z3ch.png

Edited by Fengist

49 minutes ago, Fengist said:

Release delayed

No worries. You can't rush greatness. That's what I tell my publisher, at any rate...

Edited by Jack Wolfe

Ok guys and gals. I have one request now that it's out.

I want to see how you use it. So...

SCREENSHOTS PLEASE!

I'll be keeping the fourms loaded on my browser most of the evening.  If you have issues @ me or quote me so I'll get notified.

Edited by Fengist

Hi mate, 

This is looking very good. Congratulations on realising your inner conflict onto canvas.

I tried making a steam-powered (well at least -puffing) rocket, which went ok. Couldn't get the steam going. Assume I need to be sitting on the water...

Then I tried making this plane...Found it hard to get it to fly. Give me more time.... :wink:

Spoiler

GYM1wdT.png

Yes I will try making a ship, don't worry. 

Oh and a minor issue here with your MiniAVC methinks...

Spoiler

aOF8sFU.png

Edited by Maverick_aus

Behold! Steam-punk rocket! 

Spoiler

xjrtwIu.png

Get to the water!

Spoiler

wAFlo4g.png

Compress that water!

Spoiler

Ji7i3CZ.png

Boil it, boil it, boil it! And....steam-powered rocket! Yes!

Spoiler

tcW5gTe.png

Uh...then the rocket-fuel actually ran out....

Spoiler

V5blTqM.png

And we made pretty patterns in the sky...

Spoiler

nsp0AfA.png

Thanks @Maverick_aus for the bug report. The AVC should now not show up as being the incorrect version and it should not link to Maritime Pack's download.  It's not ingrained yet as part of my release workflow so I forgot to update it before the release.

Yep, to generate steam you will need a compressor to make compressed water.  For now, you can pretty much pull it out of thin air.  Once I actually get into the rocketry side, I'll probably make it a gather-able resource like ore.  You shouldn't need to be in water to generate it.  If the stacks go BELOW water, they will flame out with a "flooded" notice and you'll have to restart them when they get above water.

You realize, my good man, that other than jumping out of the water, only the command pod has been tested at any altitude greater than say, 20 meters?  

This is why I love seeing screenshots. Only one part in those contraptions was used in the manner in which it was intended.  Thanks Mav!

Edited by Fengist

9 hours ago, Fengist said:

Thanks @Maverick_aus for the bug report. The AVC should now not show up as being the incorrect version and it should not link to Maritime Pack's download.  It's not ingrained yet as part of my release workflow so I forgot to update it before the release.

Yep, to generate steam you will need a compressor to make compressed water.  For now, you can pretty much pull it out of thin air.  Once I actually get into the rocketry side, I'll probably make it a gather-able resource like ore.  You shouldn't need to be in water to generate it.  If the stacks go BELOW water, they will flame out with a "flooded" notice and you'll have to restart them when they get above water.

You realize, my good man, that other than jumping out of the water, only the command pod has been tested at any altitude greater than say, 20 meters?  

This is why I love seeing screenshots. Only one part in those contraptions was used in the manner in which it was intended.  Thanks Mav!

My pleasure. All part of the service at Funk & Wagnalls Steam-Powered Moon-Boats - "you build 'em, we bash 'em".

20m eh? Hmmm. A steamy taste of things to come...

Spoiler

0eGKEtX.png

JXykw3E.png

Ah steam-powered re-entry....

I've got to say, at the beginning I saw your concept as a bit of novelty, and probably not really my thing. But soon after beginning to play with your parts, I find myself completely freed of the self-restraints of 'realism' and Serious Aerospace, and am getting lost in the imagining of the weird and wacky. Pure, unbridled fun. Thanks for enabling it! 

Edited by Maverick_aus

32 minutes ago, Maverick_aus said:

I've got to say, at the beginning I saw your concept as a bit of novelty, and probably not really my thing. But soon after beginning to play with your parts, I find myself completely freed of the self-restraints of 'realism' and Serious Aerospace, and am getting lost in the imagining of the weird and wacky. Pure, unbridled fun. Thanks for enabling it! 

Most welcome.  I figure if you're going to escape from reality, it might as well be steam powered.

Presenting...
...Funk & Wagnall's Steam-Powered Moon-Boat!

QcgBjJr.png

1. Working up a good head of steam...

Spoiler

CPmvsYe.png

2. Fire all the boilers!

Spoiler

hKKdc6S.png

3. Don't need these...

Spoiler

Z2TQtze.png

4. Or these...

Spoiler

BnmO9gN.png

5. Or these either...

Spoiler

Jr5OwQp.png

6. Ah, starting to look like a real "ship of space".

Spoiler

p3Vu5Sw.png1HMAZks.png
7mXDUE6.png

7. Ah well...we don't have any sails anyway!

Spoiler

HvugVNa.pngBAs8qeX.png

8. Beautiful dawn at the Big Green Ball of Ice Cream

Spoiler

lzQ26Hg.png

9. And...

Spoiler

P6xiEls.png

10. ...Landed! Steampunk on the Green Moon!

Spoiler

mQtqJgY.png

ve2nd49.png

Whole album here: https://imgur.com/gallery/J8EIA

PS: Sorry for the spoiler spam. Still trying the figure out the best way to lay things out post-imgur-album-embeds.

Edited by Maverick_aus
extra extra extra

Hi Fengist,
Just thinking about your mod. I know it's early days, and as you can see I've had a lot of fun with it as is. So if you left it like this, no worries at all by me! But may I make a suggestion? If I had my way, I would be able to puff steam out of that smoke stack the entire time (not just in atmo). I realise it requires intake air to run the engine. Would it be possible for you to make a part which bottles intake air for space travel (or underwater)? Or should I simply be using your steam-in-a-bottle version of the multi-tank? (didn't try this - just thought of it). 

17 hours ago, Maverick_aus said:

Hi Fengist,
Just thinking about your mod. I know it's early days, and as you can see I've had a lot of fun with it as is. So if you left it like this, no worries at all by me! But may I make a suggestion? If I had my way, I would be able to puff steam out of that smoke stack the entire time (not just in atmo). I realise it requires intake air to run the engine. Would it be possible for you to make a part which bottles intake air for space travel (or underwater)? Or should I simply be using your steam-in-a-bottle version of the multi-tank? (didn't try this - just thought of it). 

You just discovered the purpose behind those fuel tanks.  The trick.  Leave your main engines off and just turn the stacks and compressor on.  Manage the compressor so you don't put on too much ballast or weight... and build up a 'head of steam.'  Once your steam tanks are full, you can shut the stacks off and, if you're not going under the surface, turn the decompressor on and get rid of any excess compressed water.

The aircraft I'm working on will work essentially the same way but use LF.  It'll be costly in fuel to build up steam, but dirt cheap to run on steam once you have some.

Another trick, if you're going to be running above the surface of the water is to build up some steam, turn your engines on, then adjust the thrust of the stacks so that they don't burn too much ore. You can adjust the steam output to 0.  Then, your stacks are producing exactly as much as your engines need and you're not wasting resources.

I am a bit puzzled. I am trying out the tail fin engine and the drill, but they dont move for me. That makes me sad. Firespitter is the latest version ofc.

I hope its my stupidity. :/

Edit: the props dont move either.

Edited by Tyren

Yeah, just like me, cuz they move in the trailer. Maybe a pushed back feature due to release  issues? Well, those parts are even pretty without movement, so i dont mind that much. Just wanted to mention it. :)

Edited by Tyren

• 1 month later...

One of the benefits of adding in AVC to the latest update is that it allows me to track some very generic data on the usage of my mods and I thought I'd share them with you.  In the OP I've included a quick line chart that will show the number of times 1869 connected to the AVC script check to see if it's the latest version in the past 30 days. This chart includes ALL IP addresses and not just unique ones.

This chart should be automatically updated every 24 hours... or so.

As more data comes in over a longer period of time I may add in more charts.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.