(Stock Electric Propeller Vehicle Showcase): Bringing power to the people!

• 1 month later...

0A9o4wO.png

so about that air race i mentioned a few months ago, i have found recording software and i have made a revision. after discovering formula one air racing, i'v simplified the rules to one class of engine with no other restrictions. 8 small reaction wheels, one aircraft and 2 events, being a pylon race and a max average speed loop.

if you're interested in participating let me know

I entered a stock prop plane in that River Run air race a while back, but got DQd because of accidentally going off course at one end. I didn't bother redoing it because it was kind of at the tail end of the challenge already. But in any case, your challenge sounds cool. I think I'd have to use a different engine though.

15 minutes ago, sturmhauke said:

I entered a stock prop plane in that River Run air race a while back, but got DQd because of accidentally going off course at one end. I didn't bother redoing it because it was kind of at the tail end of the challenge already. But in any case, your challenge sounds cool. I think I'd have to use a different engine though.

hope to see you partake!

unfortunate what happened to your run, sorry that happened to ya

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings fellow stock propeller fans!

Last year I built Spinner M2 which set Mach 2.1 as the Kerbal record for electric propeller planes. I was recently amazed to discover that Spinner's record was broken a few months ago by Bradley Whistance, who came up with the idea of inserting a clampotron into his engine at an accurately vectored angle. This enabled all 3 axis of the reaction wheel to be used, giving more torque and higher speed at the cost of higher electrical consumption. In his Youtube video his craft reached 1075 m/s. 

Of course I had to see what I could achieve using this tweak. "Moto" is  a work in progress however I hereby re-claim the stock propeller record at 1081 m/s (Mach 3.6) in level flight.

B7a2jib.png

Edited by Tyr Anasazi

On 4/22/2019 at 4:47 AM, sturmhauke said:

Of course Bradley figured out how to get to ludicrous speed with a prop. Meanwhile I'm over here trying to break 220m/s.

It's not a traditional set up in the slightest, iv built a heavy lift prop using his method, it's pretty powerful

On 4/22/2019 at 1:47 AM, sturmhauke said:

Of course Bradley figured out how to get to ludicrous speed with a prop. Meanwhile I'm over here trying to break 220m/s.

Yeah I have so far run into the issue that any fairing/cargo bay that can hold a superprop using like 30 large reaction(less) wheels is also a very draggy container to put them in. Maybe I just need MOAR POWER but it doesn't look like Bradley's craft is particularly enormous or heavy. Nor does it appear to have much drag under mach 1. Whereas I get >100 kN of drag at like 200 m/s, making my superprops no faster than my Pfail small SAS coaxial racer, even though the Pfail has a proper wing, cockpit, and landing gear.

Indeed, the Pfail can easily do supersonic speeds in a dive, and even continue generating net thrust from both engines, which hasn't been the case for my experimental superprops. And I haven't even ported it to or rebuilt it on my new computer and implemented all-three-axes power.

Edited by Pds314

On 4/28/2019 at 4:38 AM, RealKerbal3x said:

You could, but it probably wouldn’t be able to reach a velocity to get into space. Also, electric propellers don’t work in a vacuum, so you couldn’t reach orbit.

Technically you could circularize either with a Munar intercept or by using a spinning object to throw debris out the back. A literal rocket.

See Stratzenblitz' Jet-only to orbit video.

On 4/28/2019 at 5:58 PM, Pds314 said:

Yeah I have so far run into the issue that any fairing/cargo bay that can hold a superprop using like 30 large reaction(less) wheels is also a very draggy container to put them in. Maybe I just need MOAR POWER but it doesn't look like Bradley's craft is particularly enormous or heavy. Nor does it appear to have much drag under mach 1. Whereas I get >100 kN of drag at like 200 m/s, making my superprops no faster than my Pfail small SAS coaxial racer, even though the Pfail has a proper wing, cockpit, and landing gear.

Indeed, the Pfail can easily do supersonic speeds in a dive, and even continue generating net thrust from both engines, which hasn't been the case for my experimental superprops. And I haven't even ported it to or rebuilt it on my new computer and implemented all-three-axes power.

All the supersonic fairing designs including squiddy, mine & Bradley’s exploit a method of combining 2 fairing base plates of the same size, closing the fairing on an object attached to the forward plate, this makes KSP see the fairing as an in-line fairing and the result is nearly zero drag.

Edited by Tyr Anasazi

Or, rather, non-geniuses like me can join into the fun...

I bet that the bearings can be stacked to create insane speed, now probs can be ludicrously fast... As long as I get 10.98 cents into my steam account.

On 5/7/2019 at 2:04 PM, Phantomic said:

Gentleman, It's Been nice Knowing you. Squad has finally added robotic parts, as a DLC. unless there's some heinous problem with these we're out of a job.

Nah mate, look at the size of those bearings! Their huge! There will still be a place for tiny hinges in the game, thank goodness.

Daaaaaaamn!

I can’t wait to try these!

i wouldn’t say we are out of a job however, as 1) this is a pay to download upgrade, and 2) these components will have limitations which may or may not keep DIY parts viable

Edited by Tyr Anasazi

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.