(Stock Electric Propeller Vehicle Showcase): Bringing power to the people!

1 minute ago, The Optimist said:

50rps is a bit of an exaggeration, it's more like 49.

So you're sure about 49 rotations per second and not 49 radials per second? Most people have experienced a hard limit of 51 rad/s, which seems the current PhysX, Unity or KSP limit.

On 8/14/2016 at 8:57 PM, Azimech said:

So you're sure about 49 rotations per second and not 49 radials per second? Most people have experienced a hard limit of 51 rad/s, which seems the current PhysX, Unity or KSP limit.

I've gotten up to 250 radians/second somehow with a zero g missile

Edited by The Optimist

Presenting the Spirit of St Kouis, a replica with a boring name. Fully electric, really fat, and pretty much perfect in every way, except for speed and basically every other way.

PLmPmu5.pnghttps://kerbalx.com/WorkaroundIndustries/Spirit-of-St-Kouis

Yes, rotations per second. Granted, it was just a shaft and I used a ridiculous combination of jets and SAS wheels, but I did get 290 radians/second, which is roughly 50. And by long periods of time, i mean about 4 seconds.

1 hour ago, PTGFlyer said:

HOW DO THESE WORK AT ALL WHAT DO YOU DO

Magic.

If you're asking how to operate them, I suggest you read the instruction manual provided in the KerbalX description.

Edited by The Optimist

1 minute ago, PTGFlyer said:

HOW DO THESE WORK AT ALL WHAT DO YOU DO

A stock bearing, every man and his dog knows hows to make them these days and there are a huge number of ways they can be made.

In the case of electric ones they are reaction wheel powered. The spinning part is a separate vehicle, decoupled once the craft loads in and then rotated with the reaction wheels by using the trim control.

1 minute ago, Majorjim! said:

A stock bearing, every man and his dog knows hows to make them these days and there are a huge number of ways they can be made.

In the case of electric ones they are reaction wheel powered. The spinning part is a separate vehicle, decoupled once the craft loads in and then rotated with the reaction wheels by using the trim control.

Thanks lol

10 hours ago, Majorjim! said:

Oh, that makes sense.

So it's not sorcery.

On 21-8-2016 at 5:25 AM, The Optimist said:

Presenting the Spirit of St Kouis, a replica with a boring name. Fully electric, really fat, and pretty much perfect in every way, except for speed and basically every other way.

PLmPmu5.pnghttps://kerbalx.com/WorkaroundIndustries/Spirit-of-St-Kouis

Yes, rotations per second. Granted, it was just a shaft and I used a ridiculous combination of jets and SAS wheels, but I did get 290 radians/second, which is roughly 50. And by long periods of time, i mean about 4 seconds.

I'll mod a part and see what I can come up with. Very interesting indeed.

Tomorrow I'll write the manual, this one is ready. Made with career in mind, made out of tier 1 parts (but needs tier 3 SPH or VAB & runway or launchpad). Solar powered amphibious aircraft, good for crossing terrain as well. Will launch with enough Delta-V for reaching Eve and creating a standard orbit . Doesn't need heat shields, pointing straight up during re-entry is sufficient.

IAqwZkx.png

vfk8qUH.png

xZBH7Cb.png

Edited by Azimech

Ye olde guide how to make electric propellers! (credit to MrNuclearturkey, that's not my video)

Note you can use cubic struts to tighten the hinge, which allows for even higher speeds and more reliability, like in this craft (BTW the craft below has a quite reliable engine, it never explodes without crashing it, using excessive pitch/yaw on the prop itself or timewarping): https://kerbalx.com/Thanie1999/F4U-Korsair Credit to Thanie1999

9 hours ago, TheDestroyer111 said:

Ye olde guide how to make electric propellers! (credit to MrNuclearturkey, that's not my video)

Note you can use cubic struts to tighten the hinge, which allows for even higher speeds and more reliability, like in this craft (BTW the craft below has a quite reliable engine, it never explodes without crashing it, using excessive pitch/yaw on the prop itself or timewarping): https://kerbalx.com/Thanie1999/F4U-Korsair Credit to Thanie1999

I like how the majority of my electric engines are redesigned versions of the F4U's motor. Credit where credit is due, I guess.

Edited by The Optimist

Here, I've retested it with a single probe core and nothing else. 310 rad/s!

tw4Phf4.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.