Best way to get to gilly from fly past?

img]Hey guys,

I am currently sending kerbals on their way to Gilly for a science mission and I have just entered the Eve system, I am on a VERY inclined trajectory that pretty much passes over the north pole of eve and I want to ask, how should I go around getting to gilly from this position? my plan is to somehow get my trajectory over the equator and insert myself into orbit, and then I need tips on how to get captured into gilly orbit using the least amount of fuel (I heard if you dont do it right then you will use up a lot of fuel because of gilly's feeble gravity)

pic of trajectory:

2TITwpQ.png

Things you want to do, which may be done in separate maneuver nodes:

• Burn at Periapsis to capture in Eve's SOI (so that you change from a hyperbolic to an elliptic orbit). This does not have to reach your desired apoapsis yet, just enough so that you don't leave the system. Also, depending on the circumstances, it may actually be beneficiary to do the second step detailed below before this one - try out which variant uses the least dV in total.
  • Plane change to match Gilly's. If you set Gilly as your target you'll see markers for ascending (AN) and descending node (DN). There, do an appropriate normal/antinormal burn. You conserve more fuel the higher the AN. So try out if it's best with an AN/DN in hyperbolic orbit (if it's still before Pe) or if you first want to do the capture burn and then align planes.
  • It may even be beneficiary to set a maneuver node very early (say current position + 5m) and play around with the normal and prograde markers to effect inclination with a comparatively small burn. Usually a prograde component will assist the "turning" during a normal burn, but you may then have to counter it's effects later at Pe for capturing, so I'm not sure if this is useful here.
  • For the encounter with Gilly, maybe try to use a reverse gravity assist, i.e. set your encounter so that you get into a retrograde orbit, so that Gilly will slow you down (a tiny bit, at least).

1 hour ago, Hupf said:

Things you want to do, which may be done in separate maneuver nodes:

• Burn at Periapsis to capture in Eve's SOI (so that you change from a hyperbolic to an elliptic orbit). This does not have to reach your desired apoapsis yet, just enough so that you don't leave the system. Also, depending on the circumstances, it may actually be beneficiary to do the second step detailed below before this one - try out which variant uses the least dV in total.
  • Plane change to match Gilly's. If you set Gilly as your target you'll see markers for ascending (AN) and descending node (DN). There, do an appropriate normal/antinormal burn. You conserve more fuel the higher the AN. So try out if it's best with an AN/DN in hyperbolic orbit (if it's still before Pe) or if you first want to do the capture burn and then align planes.
  • It may even be beneficiary to set a maneuver node very early (say current position + 5m) and play around with the normal and prograde markers to effect inclination with a comparatively small burn. Usually a prograde component will assist the "turning" during a normal burn, but you may then have to counter it's effects later at Pe for capturing, so I'm not sure if this is useful here.
  • For the encounter with Gilly, maybe try to use a reverse gravity assist, i.e. set your encounter so that you get into a retrograde orbit, so that Gilly will slow you down (a tiny bit, at least).

Thanks for the help, I ended up capturing into an elliptical orbit, bringing my eve apoapsis near gillys and then encountered which saved me a lot of fuel since I was going so slow entering gillys SOI (I tried encountering at gillys periapsis and it wanted me to burn like 800 m/s of delta v and I was like nope)

So anyways, mission accomplished! (well, half of it. now to get them back home! and yes the lander design is overkill)

Q89pQH5.png

damn you gilly gravity for making my flag fall over for no reason :(

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.