RemoteTech problem

What are the exact Apoapsis and Periapsis numbers for each of the satellites? Did you try to get them into exactly the same orbits using HyperEdit and see if the problem persists?

I already use Hyperedit to do orbits. Only one of the satelites have a orbit 1000km ap, 996 km pe, others have 1000km Ap and pe. When I use Hyperedit, orbits are automatically changed and become like this. I do this very hard with Hyperedit so it's impossible to do make by launches and rockets. If they are broke like that RemoteTech is really really hard.

It isn't that hard to actually launch your relay network on rocket(s)*

*(I generally launch 3 relay satellites for the body in question on top of one rocket!)

I would recommend trying the Precise Maneuver mod to help make your orbits and spacing quite precise. I use a MechJeb custom window for my game, and I include the orbital period in that window. This way, once I have calculated the spacing for my (usually 3 satellite) network based on the maximum range of my selected omni antenna, I can circularize the first sat at the calculated altitude and make note of it's orbital period. I always make the spacing (and therefore altitude) a little bit less than the omni range of the antenna, to account for minor spacing errors and make rendezvousing the other satellites to the correct spacing less of an exact science.

I then proceed to plot a transfer orbit for the second satellite and using the target/intercept readout in the map view (set sat #1 as target) and Precise Maneuver to tweak the orbit, I can get very accurate spacing.

Once I have spaced all my satellites accurately and with the same (as close as possible) orbital periods and verify that all is well, I actually close the game, open the persistent save file and copy the 1st vessel's SMA (semi-major axis) value to the other satellites in the network to eliminate the possibility of them drifting apart! Even after months or years of timewarping, the network is still perfectly spaced!

I hope this helps you in some way when attempting a replacement for your broken relay!

PS. I don't and have never used hyperedit in my game.

If you have Mechjeb installed, turn on the "Orbit Info" window. It will show your orbital period, i.e. the time to complete 1 orbit. Instead of trying to get all of your orbits perfectly aligned, with identical apoapses and periapses, you can just get them kind of close and then use RCS to get the orbital periods to be exact. It'll look a little messy, what with the unaligned orbits in the tracker, but it's far more reliable.

14 hours ago, JohnWittle said:

and then use RCS to get the orbital periods to be exact

Why have RCS at all on a CommSat? For fine-tuning, I just throttle down the Thrust Limiter tweakable on the engine (which is an Ant for most of these sats anyway).

2 hours ago, Hupf said:

Why have RCS at all on a CommSat? For fine-tuning, I just throttle down the Thrust Limiter tweakable on the engine (which is an Ant for most of these sats anyway).

This. With RT and KER you can also, combined with the above mentioned method, do shorter and less powerful burns than stock game allows.

With the engine capped at 0.5%, set the burn slider in the RT remote control panel to minimum, set the timer to 0.001s and hit the burn button.

Doing that, and tweaking the exact settings, I can easily get the orbital periods of all the sats in question to match down to and including 1/1000th of a second which gives you a stable configuration for years in game time.

Edited by LN400

Is there really even a functional difference between RCS versus an engine? With the lesser RCS thrusters and the low-sensitivity control setting, I can also easily get my orbital periods within 1/1000th of a second of where I want them. Example: https://i.sli.mg/eEpS33.jpg And it's way easier than mucking about with the thrust limiter on an engine.

The way i do it the last time was, stack three satelites on a rocket. This was kerbin. I immiadetly shoot for 2862 and something. I to put 3 sat for geo synchrous orbit. Once at apoaps i make my orbit last 4 hours. Now everytime i hit apoaps i just  undock one satelite and burn prograde my orbit perioid to 6h Repeat to all satelites and youre good. If you really want have it exactly 6 or something hours, just limit youre engine or rcs whatever to really small power output. You can easily get the orbital perioid to one thousanth of a second to of what you want. That should work for couple kerbin millenia atleast..

Ofcourse theres players with severe OCD and this just isnt good enough :D Espesially in KSP playerbase.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.