ProtoJeb21

RKS Development Questions  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Where Should Eeloo Go?

• In a Jool-crossing orbit
    • In between Dres and Jool
    • Other
  2. 2. Should Laythe be an Ice Giant?

Realistic Kerbol System (RKS) aims to transform the stock KSP solar system into sometime comparable to reality. This mod is in heavy Work In Progress stages, so development will be slow as of now. Here are the changes I'm thinking of so far (suggestions are welcome!):

• Kerbol: Given 34% the mass of Sol and turned into an M3.5V red dwarf.
  • Moho: Radius of 2,500 kilometers; surface similar to Mercury with many impact craters; semi-major axis of 0.057 AU and temperature of 777 kelvin.
  • Eve: Radius of 7,000 kilometers and 2.1 times Earth's mass, giving the same gravity as in stock KSP; Thick atmosphere (84 atm) and oceans of liquid lead; semi-major axis of 0.095 AU and temperature of 800 kelvin.
  • Kerbin: Radius of 6,000 kilometers and still 1 gee of gravity; tidally locked with deserts on the front, grasslands in the middle, and tundras on the back; still a place for the KSC; semi-major axis of 0.12 AU; temperature of 287.7 kelvin.
  • Mun: Kerbin's trojan planet, with a radius of 2,000 kilometers and a heavily scarred terrain; many lava-filled impact craters; semi-major axis of 0.1201 AU.
  • Duna: Radius of 3,000 kilometers with large ice caps, a large ice canyon, and a band of volcanic terrain; thin atmosphere with a temperature of 183 kelvin; semi-major axis of 0.182 AU.
  • Dres: It looks like Eris and Ceres had a baby that became larger than both combined; Radius of 2,760 kilometers with a small ring system and two small moons; semi-major axis of 0.465 AU.
    • Ike: A half rock, half ice moon with lumpy features; radius of 400 kilometers and a semi-major axis of 25,380.4 kilometers; dark patches of terrain and many impact craters.
    • Gilly: Radius of only 90 kilometers and less than 0.00001% the mass of Earth; a cracked and captured asteroid with a semi-major axis of 263,842.3 kilometers; eccentric and inclined orbit.
  • Jool: A Super-Jupiter with 1,500 times the mass of Earth and a radius of 80,000 kilometers; over 9 gees of gravity and all five original moons; greenish atmosphere similar to ice giants; semi-major axis of 3.6 AU.
    • Pol: Radius of 1,274.2 kilometers and a semi-major axis of 450,000 km; terrain heavily based on Io, except hotter at 205 kelvin.
    • Vall: Keeps its original radius of 300 kilometers to be an Enceladus analogue; smooth and cracked terrain with very few craters and a blue tint; semi-major axis of 1,350,000 km.
    • Tylo: Radius of 4,000 kilometers; terrain features look more like Ganymede but have traits held by Tylo; semi-major axis of 1,687,500 km.
    • Laythe: Titan analogue with a radius of 3,504 kilometers; semi-major axis of 3,375,000 km; has an atmosphere exactly like Titan's and a desert-like surface with 40% liquid methane.
    • Bop: A captured planetoid based off of Phoebe; radius of 100 km and a semi-major axis of 5,120,000 km; terrain features similar to those on Phoebe.
  • Eeloo: Physical parameters are only slightly larger than those of Pluto; terrain with dark regions, nitrogen ice flats, and water-ice mountains; placement in the system TBD.
    • Minmus: Eeloo's binary companion that is nearly identical to Charon; has Charon-like surface features with minty tints all over; semi-major axis of 20,500 km.

I really do like this idea, although I'd hope you don't make the planets look too much like analogues of real-life planets, as the ideas of comparisons to real life mentioned seem to saturated throughout the KSP planet packs. Still excited for this idea, hope an alpha comes out soon.

Edited by AlexTheNotSoGreat

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2016 at 0:30 AM, Istrati said:

Whaiting for this ! But i want Kerbin planet to be the same color,mass,atmosphere, and the moon and minmus to be the same.. all we used with this planets, so.. it's a good start to leave it that way.. just my opinion.

Kerbin is still going to have the same colors and atmospheric characteristics. Its terrain is going to look like a tidally locked Earth-like planet, but with the original Kerbin surface features put in different places. Also, since this is a realistic stock system, Kerbin can't have any moons because of how close it has to be to the red dwarf Kerbol to be habitable. At least the Mun will orbit Kerbol close enough to where Kerbin is. This is something shared with the Kepler-271 system.

On 8/7/2016 at 2:46 PM, AlexTheNotSoGreat said:

I really do like this idea, although I'd hope you don't make the planets look too much like analogues of real-life planets, as the ideas of comparisons to real life mentioned seem to saturated throughout the KSP planet packs. Still excited for this idea, hope an alpha comes out soon.

All planets are going to have mixes of their inspirations' textures and their original surface features. The biggest difference is that some revamped stock bodies will not be based on what we have in our solar system, but what may exist in other extrasolar systems scientists have detected.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Onto some development stuff, I experimented with the light from Kerbol with Kittopia. I produced something that looks like a star between spectral types K8V and M3V.

AKsIdwc.png

The full album is here, if anyone wants to check it out.

13 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

do you plan to change the name of the planets? or just the name of the Sun?

All the celestial bodies, including Kerbol the Sun, will keep their original names. Only their textures and atmospheres will change.

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.