Can a surface tug be built?

I'm trying to land various pieces on Minmus and connect them into a mining base.  Unfortunately, neither I nor MechJeb can land them with the required accuracy.

I've noted a harpoon and a winch in the parts, I'm not sure if they're from KIS or KAS.  I'm wondering what would happen if I built a rover that used the harpoon to hold itself in place and connected the winch to the bottom of the object I'm trying to drag to pull it closer.

Is something like this viable or do I simply have to use some pylons and extra links to deal with that pesky fuel tank that after several tries is still 90m away?

The most reliable way to connect separate ships on the ground is to use the stock Claw.  It always works, although the Kraken might not like it.  KAS/KIS stuff also usually works but the Kraken attacks such things more often.  Docking ports are the hardest method to use on the surface, although if you're on one of Minmus' flat areas, it's a lot easier than anywhere else off Kerbin.

Really the best thing is to use a mod that allows various base units to exchange resources without actually being physically connected (it's assumed there are underground pipes and/or cables).  Both MKS and Pathfinder do this.

6 minutes ago, Loren Pechtel said:

I'm trying to land various pieces on Minmus and connect them into a mining base.  Unfortunately, neither I nor MechJeb can land them with the required accuracy.

I've noted a harpoon and a winch in the parts, I'm not sure if they're from KIS or KAS.  I'm wondering what would happen if I built a rover that used the harpoon to hold itself in place and connected the winch to the bottom of the object I'm trying to drag to pull it closer.

Is something like this viable or do I simply have to use some pylons and extra links to deal with that pesky fuel tank that after several tries is still 90m away?

I think simply pushing it with the rover would be a better idea. Screenshots would help to clarify the situation for further evaluation.

27 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

It always works, although the Kraken might not like it.

You've contradicted yourself in the same sentence.  If it summons the Kraken, I'd say that means it doesn't always work.

OP:  It sounds like you might be using Infernal Robotics.   I think that is what adds the winch (I could be mistaken though).  If that is the case, you might consider building something more like a forklift, just make sure you have a proper counterweight!.

Edited by Alshain

5 minutes ago, Alshain said:

OP:  It sounds like you might be using Infernal Robotics.   I think that is what adds the winch (I could be mistaken though).  If that is the case, you might consider building something more like a forklift, just make sure you have a proper counterweight!.

No, it's definitely KAS that add's the winch. I have the winch and I don't have Infernal Robotics. 

33 minutes ago, dafidge9898 said:

I think simply pushing it with the rover would be a better idea. Screenshots would help to clarify the situation for further evaluation.

I agree. The Minmus flats are quite slippery, since the gravity is so low. Have a rover with a rocket on the back, attach to a piece you would like to move, and slide it over to where you want it to be. Make sure you stay under 6 m/s.

The winch is from KAS.  Dragging it is an option. You're legs may explode and everything might fall over and apart but yes you can drag stuff with the winch. Pushing is probably easier. Or combo! There's also a mod called vessel mover that lets you move things around. Good for placing base modules.

12 minutes ago, Cerberus738 said:

The winch is from KAS.  Dragging it is an option. You're legs may explode and everything might fall over and apart but yes you can drag stuff with the winch. Pushing is probably easier. Or combo! There's also a mod called vessel mover that lets you move things around. Good for placing base modules.

No legs to break, the current problem child is a 7.5m fuel tank with a docking port on top (which I later realized isn't needed--the crane that brought it needed a docking port but this one will never be used again) and power on the sides.  It's mission is to provide the power to run the drills and then a big place to store the output--this base is intended to fuel deep space operations so I'm building it big.

Vessel Mover sounds good if there were such a mod but there isn't anymore.  It broke with 1.1.3 and the unofficial fix in the thread is 404.

Edited by Loren Pechtel

19 minutes ago, bewing said:

I agree. The Minmus flats are quite slippery, since the gravity is so low. Have a rover with a rocket on the back, attach to a piece you would like to move, and slide it over to where you want it to be. Make sure you stay under 6 m/s.

I would be quite worried about tipping it over that way--I figured a winch pulling near the bottom would apply much less torque to it.  I am on the flats as I figured ease of building/operating was more important than mining efficiency.  I can always send up more drills if need be.

3 hours ago, Alshain said:

You've contradicted yourself in the same sentence.  If it summons the Kraken, I'd say that means it doesn't always work.

"Works" as in connects things.  Which is the objective.  "Summons the Kraken", as in The Kraken HATES surface bases.  No getting around that.  It hates the Klaw less than other alternatives.  I see no contradiction.

On 8/5/2016 at 3:48 PM, Loren Pechtel said:

No legs to break, the current problem child is a 7.5m fuel tank with a docking port on top (which I later realized isn't needed--the crane that brought it needed a docking port but this one will never be used again) and power on the sides.  It's mission is to provide the power to run the drills and then a big place to store the output--this base is intended to fuel deep space operations so I'm building it big.

Vessel Mover sounds good if there were such a mod but there isn't anymore.  It broke with 1.1.3 and the unofficial fix in the thread is 404.

https://github.com/PapaJoesSoup/VesselMover/releases

Using winches to pull stuff into position is doable but moving over any distance is a royal PITA. Could be my leet driving skills though....

screenshot17_zpsmzfezsi9.png

The offending fuel tank was eventually tamed and positioned using a surface rather than rover mounted winch.

screenshot21_zpsjqd4ov1a.png

screenshot26_zpslocrlfxr.png

On the other hand the drill rig, modules and ore tanks on the right were all landed as rovers before simply driving into position. The wheels etc where then removed and used to build mobile parts dumps.

5 hours ago, dangerhamster said:

Using winches to pull stuff into position is doable but moving over any distance is a royal PITA. Could be my leet driving skills though....

screenshot17_zpsmzfezsi9.png

The offending fuel tank was eventually tamed and positioned using a surface rather than rover mounted winch.

screenshot21_zpsjqd4ov1a.png

screenshot26_zpslocrlfxr.png

On the other hand the drill rig, modules and ore tanks on the right were all landed as rovers before simply driving into position. The wheels etc where then removed and used to build mobile parts dumps.

I was planning on using the harpoon to anchor the rover in place before pulling, in effect making it like your ground-mount version.  Without anchoring it there's no doubt the rover would go flying before what I'm trying to pull!  It certainly sounds worth launching a bird but that will have to wait, I've managed to kill a whole day when the coolant pump in my computer went out--and somehow I broke a pin off a USB socket while arguing with it.

7 hours ago, Cerberus738 said:

Good--because when I found the thread on it it said it wasn't 1.1.3 compatible and wasn't being supported anymore.  There was an unofficial 1.1.3 recompile but with dead links.  I guess there must have been another thread I didn't find.

2 hours ago, MedwedianPresident said:

I am not experienced in the field of surface base construction but I think that if you attach landing legs to all modules and a docking port to their lower side you can move and align them using a rover which has a docking port on the top.

I'm also under the impression that a forklift would solve OP's problem easier than a puller. Some ideas I liked in This challenge may interest,  look at the discussion about the refurbish vehicles. 

19 minutes ago, Spricigo said:

I'm also under the impression that a forklift would solve OP's problem easier than a puller. Some ideas I liked in This challenge may interest,  look at the discussion about the refurbish vehicles. 

If I was doing small stuff, yes.  On the other hand, if I was doing small stuff I think MechJeb would have landed it more accurately and I wouldn't be fighting this in the first place.

29 minutes ago, Loren Pechtel said:

If I was doing small stuff, yes.  On the other hand, if I was doing small stuff I think MechJeb would have landed it more accurately and I wouldn't be fighting this in the first place.

If you're doing big construction work,  bring heavy machinery

Oops!  Tapped send by accident,  browse don't let me edit..... 

As I was saying:bring the heavy machinery. 

It's just a matter of scaling up the forklift,  or just go for a crane+flatbed combo. Actually,  since you at using KAS even turning the payload in a hover it's a viable option. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.