Another Elcano mission report

Firemetal

So I've been thinking of doing the Elcano for a long time. I planned to do it when I was playing career mode with a Duna rover. I also wanted to do it on Dres which is one of my favourite planets in the game. So here is my Dres Elcano. Drelcano? Nope.

The Rover

Meet DEV or Dres Exploration Vehicle. It has room for two kerbals on top. Very durable. (Unless you crash into a building hence the broken rover wheel)

5I8K9CT.png

The Mission

Now let me explain how I intend to do the challenge. First I get it to Dres and land it. Then I drive to a lander that I landed a few months back for the Dres Awareness Challenge. This is where I pick up my crew. I was thinking of doing an equatorial circumnavigation so I could pass through the Dres Canyon however that is for another mission as I will most likely re-use the DEV for future missions. Therefore I'll then do a Polar circumnavigation and then come back to the lander again. If any un-fixable accidents happen, I'll have to send another rover. (Obviously :P )

Part One

Getting the Rover to Dres.

So I built a big launch vehicle instead of going for a small nuke powered one.

MRYK1k2.png

JS90pcz.png

OY8Pxqa.jpg

I love it when you use flea boosters as seperatrons. :D 

uFjbyx9.jpg

From here, I had to first go around the Sun once more to get the Dres encounter, got a crazy high capture burn and had to do a scary suicide burn and ended up using the transfer stage as a shock absorber. :P

uDGaUkD.png

Ok lets go pick up Billy-Bobsen and Linke Kerman.

8KTW0L3.png

They're quite far away... I wish this counted as part of the circumnavigation. :/

pF6BMjo.png

ugfBHiz.png

And that's what became of the first flag on Dres...

Anyway that's it for now. Next we'll reach them and start the circumnavigation!

3 minutes ago, Chemp said:

A nice and sturdy-looking rover. I wish you the best of luck.

How are you going to mark your trail? Since you're using command chairs, you only have 2 flags at your disposal. Or did that change recently?

Good point. I have realized that this might be a difficult mission. Just had a slight accident. Nothing to serious but it might end up that way in the future. This means I may have to send more rovers and a flag supply too. But that ain't too bad, right?

Anyway thanks!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.