My Exoplanet Discoveries [Formerly "KIC 7848638 - My First Solar System"]

ProtoJeb21

Questions about this system  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which is Your Favorite Object in the System?

• Chantico (KIC 7848638 b)
    • Montu (KIC 7848638 c)
    • Sethlans (KIC 7848638 d)
    • Kupole (KIC 7848638 e)
    • Indra (KIC 7848638 f)
    • Vajra (KIC 7848638 f-1)
    • Koyash (KIC 7848638)
  2. 2. What Should Be The New Name for Indra?

This poll is closed to new votes

31 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

The parent star of Kupole and Indra/Apeliotes* is KIC 7848638 (duh :P)

The parent star of Nantosuelta is KIC 7586580.

The parent star of Ausra and Feronia is KIC 7051256.

*I'm thinking of renaming Indra "Apeliotes" because it's likely to be an icy waterworld.

I guessed correctly. What about 3B, 5, and 6?

8 minutes ago, _Augustus_ said:

I guessed correctly. What about 3B, 5, and 6?

IPH-3B is just going to be KIC 7105665 B.

KIC 7051256 is IPH-5.

I can't view the information for IPH-6. Dangit! :(

Also, IPH-4A is KOI-5308 and IPH-4B is KOI-5308 B.

9 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

IPH-3B is just going to be KIC 7105665 B.

KIC 7051256 is IPH-5.

I can't view the information for IPH-6. Dangit! :(

Also, IPH-4A is KOI-5308 and IPH-4B is KOI-5308 B.

How far is are 3B and 4B from their parents?

4 minutes ago, _Augustus_ said:

How far is are 3B and 4B from their parents?

I'm not too sure...My best guesses would be about 500 AU for 3B and 1200 AU for 4B. Remember that 3B is less than half of its parent's mass, while 4A and 4B are almost identical.

• 3 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, NSEP said:

Amazing! How did you do this?

I look at light curves created from the Kepler data on Planet Hunters, a citizen science project on Zooniverse. You just need to create a free Zooniverse account in order to do this. There have been a few dozen better-know candidates found on this site.

Also, I may have found a pair of co-orbital planets orbiting once a day. Or a 1-day planet and a 4-day planet. Or me misinterpreting an eclipsing binary system.

Presenting a New Planet!

IPH-6b

Post+-+April+2013+(2)+-+2.jpg

IPH-6b is a small desert planet orbiting the orange dwarf star KIC 7103084 (known on Planet Hunters as APH00016m1). It has an area just 0.01183% the size of its 0.766 Solar Radii host star and orbits every 25 days. Therefore, its seems like IPH-6b is a larger and hotter version of Mars. Life is impossible here, but IPH-6b is rather unique among my candidate planets. Its first transit was a Kepler Observation Day (KOD) #163 (In every set of data from every star, the days at the top start at something like 140 or 150). I spotted it at KOD #188, showing that its orbital period was around 25 days. This allowed me to predict 4 more KODs that IPH-6b may appear: 213, 238, 263, and 288. I found it at every one with very similar transits (dips of 0.011%, 0.014%, 0.011%, 0.010%, 0.013%, and 0.012%), meaning that IPH-6b is a likely candidate.

However, there may be more around KIC 7103084...

My attention was brought to the system not because of IPH-6b, but a transit blocking 0.017% of the star that was unusually wide. I believed it could be a long-period planet, so I decided I should check it out. This long-period planet hasn't been spotted again...yet. I also came upon a possible 3rd planet. Its first transit was at KOD #180, and I was able to calculate an orbital period of 39 days using its first two transits (the other was at KOD #219). I predicted that this object, which also blocked about 0.017% of its host star, would appear at KODs 258, 297, 336, and 375. However, I began running into issues. KODs 257 to 260 didn't show up on Planet Hunters. All was predictable until I got to KOD 336 and couldn't find a transit! But there was that 0.017% dip at 375, just as predicted! I will have to continue investigations on this system to figure out what the heck is up with this planet.

There are also 2 other dips I found that could be other planets. One was a 0.010% dip at KOD #224, and the second was a 0.023% dip at KOD #248. I'm at KOD #380 right now and I haven't seen those two again. So for now, IPH-6b is a loner.

(Picture taken from No Man's Sky by someone else)

UPDATE: It seems like there are three other planets around IPH-6. However, I'm not completely confident in their existences.

• IPH-6c: 0.0153% the area of its star, orbiting every 39 days; slightly dubious.
  • IPH-6d: 0.01075% the area of its star, orbiting every 200 days; not very dubious.
  • IPH-6e: 0.021% the area of its star, orbiting every 250.25 days; not very dubious.

Now here's some artistic impressions of exoplanets that may resemble my planets.

IPH-6c:

desert_planet_resource_by_ziliran-d3gtwm

IPH-6d:

Kepler438.jpg

IPH-6e:

shenno.jpg

None of these images are mine BTW

Edited by ProtoJeb21
IPH-6e is probably an icy ocean planet

13 hours ago, Spaceception said:

@ProtoJeb21 I thought IPH 6 didn't turn out to be your discovery?

Also, what's the details on the Earthlike one?

Just ignore the original IPH-6b....

I did the math, and in order for IPH-6 to have a radius of 0.766 Suns, its mass has to be 0.7167 Solar masses. I also figured out that I would have to use this equation to find its luminosity: L = 0.71674. The luminosity of a main-sequence star will range from M2.7 for a 0.1 Solar-mass star, M3.7 for a 0.6 Solar-mass star, and M4.7 for a 1 Solar-mass star (M is the mass of a star in Solar masses). IPH-6 has a Lof 0.263845455276. Using that, I was able to calculate a Habitable Zone range from 0.4898 AU to 0.706 AU. Calculating the Cubic Root of (200/365)2 times 0.7167 gives me a semi-major axis of IPH-6d of 0.59924 AU. So it looks like IPH-6d could be potentially habitable. Meanwhile, IPH-6e has a semi-major axis of 0.6954 AU and could be a "Super-Mars."

1 minute ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Just ignore the original IPH-6b....

I did the math, and in order for IPH-6 to have a radius of 0.766 Suns, its mass has to be 0.7167 Solar masses. I also figured out that I would have to use this equation to find its luminosity: L = 0.71674. The luminosity of a main-sequence star will range from M2.7 for a 0.1 Solar-mass star, M3.7 for a 0.6 Solar-mass star, and M4.7 for a 1 Solar-mass star (M is the mass of a star in Solar masses). IPH-6 has a Lof 0.263845455276. Using that, I was able to calculate a Habitable Zone range from 0.4898 AU to 0.706 AU. Calculating the Cubic Root of (200/365)2 times 0.7167 gives me a semi-major axis of IPH-6d of 0.59924 AU. So it looks like IPH-6d could be potentially habitable. Meanwhile, IPH-6e has a semi-major axis of 0.6954 AU and could be a "Super-Mars."

Are you going to add it to the OP?

NEW UPDATE! I figured out another way to calculate the planet's radius:

1. Measure the difference between the top and bottom of the possible transit (like 1.005-0.987). You will get the "Dip" of the transit.
  2. Find the area of the star using its radius (in kilometers) and the equation 4 x 3.14 x r2.
  3. Multiply the area of the star by the dip of the transit to get a value 10 times the actual area of the planet. Just divide that number by 10 to get the correct value.
  4. Multiply the square root of (the planet's area divided by Pi) by 1/2. You should get the radius of the transiting object in kilometers.
  5. Divide the radius of your planet in kilometers by 6371, Earth's radius in km. You should get the object's radius in Earth Radii.

If I'm correct, this is the proper way to find the size of a transiting planet - by finding the ratio of the planet's area to its star's. Using this method I've calculated the radii for the planets of the KIC 7103084 (IPH-6) system to be 0.90, 1.035, 0.86, and 1.2 Earth radii. IPH-6e could still be an icy oceania, but chances are it's most likely a giant Mars. I've revised the radius values of the planets Sethlans through IPH-3Ad (Nusku) and will have more done in a few days.

9 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

NEW UPDATE! I figured out another way to calculate the planet's radius:

1. Measure the difference between the top and bottom of the possible transit (like 1.005-0.987). You will get the "Dip" of the transit.
  2. Find the area of the star using its radius (in kilometers) and the equation 4 x 3.14 x r2.
  3. Multiply the area of the star by the dip of the transit to get a value 10 times the actual area of the planet. Just divide that number by 10 to get the correct value.
  4. Multiply the square root of (the planet's area divided by Pi) by 1/2. You should get the radius of the transiting object in kilometers.
  5. Divide the radius of your planet in kilometers by 6371, Earth's radius in km. You should get the object's radius in Earth Radii.

If I'm correct, this is the proper way to find the size of a transiting planet - by finding the ratio of the planet's area to its star's. Using this method I've calculated the radii for the planets of the KIC 7103084 (IPH-6) system to be 0.90, 1.035, 0.86, and 1.2 Earth radii. IPH-6e could still be an icy oceania, but chances are it's most likely a giant Mars. I've revised the radius values of the planets Sethlans through IPH-3Ad (Nusku) and will have more done in a few days.

I am not getting the logic behind step 3, but that's probably because I don't understand what the numbers in step 1 are. Other than that my only concern is that it does not provide correct result for a planet that only partially eclipses its star. That case probably cannot be detected from the data though. It could be assumed that with multiple planets detected the system's planetary plane is probably very edge on to us and thus especially the inner planets are very unlikely to just partially obscure the star.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE: NEW PLANETS AND STELLAR DATA!

The other day I was lucky enough to find another candidate exoplanet system, plus some VERY helpful information on most of the host stars. First up, the new planets orbiting the star KIC 6776202!

IPH-7c

Yes, the first planet in the system is designated "c". This is one of my smaller candidate planets, with about 65.8% the radius of Earth and an estimated 0.228 times its mass. IPH-7c orbits once about every 7 days, the second-fastest year I have found so far and only a bit slower than IPH-2b (Giltine). I imagine this planet as a dark-colored world, mostly covered in basalt with a few lava lakes and some impact craters. It is unlikely to have any atmosphere but is likely to have a little more than half the gravity of Earth.

IPH-7b

The second and last planet in the KIC 6776202 (IPH-7) system. It is around 85% the radius of Earth and if rocky will probably have 51.5% its mass. IPH-7b orbits once every 22 days, putting it far enough away from its star to have a solid surface and a substantial atmosphere. I imagine IPH-7 as a desert planet with basalt-covered highlands (a lot of them), while the lower regions are orange, rusty, and sandy. A few craters could be present.

KIC 6776202 is a somewhat small star, with 0.562 times the radius of Sol. However, I stumbled across a study done by several Exoplaneteers, including Dave Charbonneau. This study recorded the mass, log gravity, temperature, and rotation period of several hundred KIC stars while collected several other values. I was finally able to find the TRUE mass and temperature values of almost every star! (Except for KOI-5308, for some reason). I'll have these values up in a bit, but I can say two things right now: I was close to the true mass of Koyash, and the mass of IPH-7 is 0.6767 Solar masses.

Data will be up later. I have urgent Christmas stuff to attend to. Me, AWAAAAAY!!!!

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

EDIT: Alright, here's the site I got the data from:

http://iopscience.iop.org/0067-0049/211/2/24/suppdata/apjs492452t1_mrt.txt

There are two lists of stars. KIC 6776202 is found in the first section, while all the other systems are found in the second section. I'll update the OP with the newly found values, along with the KIC designations for each stars. I really should've done that while back, because I have all the designations on papers inside a really crammed folder. Now, have some visuals of the IPH-7 planets!

IPH-7c:

planet_lava.jpg

IPH-7b:

3463186123_f1921e81d0_b.jpg

None of these images belong to me BTW

Edited by ProtoJeb21

22 minutes ago, kunok said:

Can I ask how much time you are in planted hunters? Because bro, your dedication is impressive.

Whenever I've analyzing at least one system, I'm on Planet Hunters between 1-3 hours. It can be really tedious, especially since I had several false positive systems on the same day I found KIC 6776202. There seemed to be a transiting planet in one Quarter, but closer analysis showed that it was just a random dimming and not an exoplanet.

UPDATE: I've re-calculated the radius values for the planets in systems IPH-1 through IPH-5. Systems 6 and 7 used the correct radius calculating method - multiply the dip of the planet by the star's surface area, then find the radius using the area. This has turned up a few interesting things:

• Montu and Ishum, planets that I once thought were like Mercury, are larger than Earth! I may have to rename them.
  • Kupole is huge - 63% larger than Earth. This leads me to believe it is trapped between a watery oasis and a suffocating, worsening climate.
  • The candidate moon Vajra is larger than expected: 0.79311 Earth radii. This makes Ganymede look like a midget! I think that Vajra may have been formed from a giant impact, depending on how much rock is inside the 1.902 Earth radius Apeliotes.
  • Nantosuelta is just 0.4% smaller than Earth.
  • Septentrio and Caecius are almost identical in size - 2.37 and 2.75 Earth radii.
  • Goliath-B really deserves that name. It is almost 20% larger than Earth and could be 70% more massive.
  • The dubious fifth planet around KOI-5308 might be a small gas dwarf instead of a Super-Earth.

These new values will be added to the OP. I will also have to postpone the release of ProtoJeb's Planets as I implement these new values into the mod. I might have to entirely retexture some objects, and it took so long to make them!

Edited by ProtoJeb21
Correction: Vajra is 0.79311 earth radii

Presenting Some New Stuff!

So I found out something: I have been doing my "correct" calculations wrong...AGAIN. I was accidentally using the equation for volume, mistakenly thinking that it was the equation for surface area. I kept getting radius values that were much larger than expected. Now I have to re-calculate every radius value for the third fleeping time. Ugghh.....

But in other news, I may have found another system with twin planets! The other day I went on Planet Hunters and found four stars that merited my immediate investigation: KIC 6516307, KIC 7268047, KIC 6467728, and KIC 6604994. I was able to find official mass and temperature values for just KIC 6604994, so I analyzed that star first. What I managed to find in the light curve was a very convincing signal of a 0.6424 Earth radius planet orbiting every 40.833 days. However, I was hesitant to reveal the planet, because I've found so many candidates so far that now it may or may not be getting ridiculous. But I also found a second signal of a larger planet, around 74% the size of Earth. There are two models for its orbit - one taking 45 days, and another, more likely scenario of it orbiting every 59.8 days. Either way, these planets are basically twins! I gave them two names I was saving for such twin-like exoplanets: Polemos for IPH-8b, and Proioxis for IPH-8c. Both worlds seem to be large, warm Mercury-Mars hybrids orbiting between 0.21 and 0.29 AU. It is possible an observer on Proioxis can see a transit of Polemos without using any equipment at all! They orbit the star KIC 6604994, which has 73.1% the radius and 83.4% the mass of our Sun with a temperature of 4,999*K.

Now, with the discovery out of the way, I would like to present the new things I've learned from the planets whose radii have been re-calculated:

• Chantico, Nusku, and Svarozic are all less than 4% larger than Earth. That doesn't mean these worlds are anything alike, though...
  • Montu and Ishum reall ARE large Mercury analogues! I won't have to rename them!
  • However, Septentrio appears to be a giant ice planet nearly 70% larger than Earth, not a small ice giant.
  • Apeliotes and Vajra appear to be binary worlds, as Apeliotes is 1.37 Earth radii and Vajra 0.572 Earth radii.
  • Kupole seems to be small enough to have stayed habitable...for a while.
  • Goliath-B is 82.1% the size of Earth. Using this, I can calculate a mass of about 0.49 Earths. This fits well into the range of moon masses for KOI-5308.01, as its mass shows none of its moons would exceed 0.7 Earth masses. This indicates Goliath-B may have been with KOI-5308.01 for its entire life, and isn't a captured planet.
  • Jagaubis is my smallest planet. It's even smaller than Mars at just 0.4742 Earth radii.

Some images...

article-1359563-0D504E81000005DC-574_468

New Septentrio

NuEarth.jpg

Possible appearance of Kupole

solarsystem_111.jpg

Semi-realistic representation of two planets (and a moon) that could resemble Polemos and Proioxis.

latest?cb=20111224005419

A planet possibly similar to Gibil or Chantico

(None of these images are mine BTW. I will probably make some of my own from Space Engine in a few days)

• 2 weeks later...

ATTENTION!

Hold on, that wasn't big enough.

ATTENTION!

Ah, there we go!

I have a big announcement to make. Since my last update on this thread, I have found another 4 candidates in 3 possible solar systems. I've been finding so many of these worlds that I'm putting my foot down. For the next few weeks, I will NOT be finding ANY MORE candidates. I have found so many so far that I need to let a scientist know about them. So, I'm going to report my discoveries to Debra Fischer, the exoplanet scientist at Yale University who founded Planet Hunters. This may be able to get some of these 30 worlds confirmed. Plus, there are a few other things I would like to report. One of them is...

KIC 6307537

This is a very weird star that may be a compact quadruple star system. Because of how close the four stars are, it could be possible for a planet to find a stable orbit around ALL of them. A circumQUADinary exoplanet! The main star is 0.788 Rs, while the companions are between 0.61 and 0.35 solar radii. Here's the link to the star's data: https://talk.planethunters.org/?_ga=1.146100982.371216520.1477159789#/subjects/APH00016ru

If anyone's interested, here are the stats about the newest four candidates:

• IPH-9c: Another one of those planets around 0.75 RE orbiting about once a month, nothing special.
  • IPH-9b: A possible Hoth analogue, around the same size of Earth with a year of AT LEAST 3 years (>1,100.3 days). The system may also have a distant red dwarf companion.
  • IPH-10b: This seems to be a small, hot gas dwarf around a medium-sized orange dwarf.
  • IPH-11b: A larger Hot Mini-Neptune orbiting a G-Dwarf. The main star appears to have a distant K-Dwarf companion.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.