[Idea] "To Boldly Go" Kopernicus mod.

daniel l.

This is not anything i am personally making, However i do have an idea, There are so many planet mods already around that offer other stars to visit, But none of them provide anything near a complete galaxy of stars with planets, But what if we all contributed our different star packs into one mod similar to @Sigma88's Galactic Neighborhood pack except for a few interesting changes: For one thing the map screen always betrays the sense of exploration that would otherwise have been provided, This can be fixed by removing the orbit trails and disabling the ability to select and focus on any of the extra-kerbolian objects, Travel between stars would require either use of a warp drive mod or simply shooting your ship off into a random direction to see where you go. You might also have to place beacons at distant destinations in order to find them again.

My intentions are to take existing star mods and make the framework of an entire galaxy using them, Then surround space with duller less interesting stars in order to provide for a complete galaxy.

This is simply a suggestion and i wish to know what the other Kopernicus modders think of this idea.

5 hours ago, daniel l. said:

extra-kerbolian

It's not called Kerbol

It's called Sun

Kerbol is a lie perpetrated by the ksp wiki that clearly does not care about the accuracy of the information it provides

1 hour ago, Sigma88 said:

It's not called Kerbol

It's called Sun

Kerbol is a lie perpetrated by the ksp wiki that clearly does not care about the accuracy of the information it provides

0.0 umm why exactly does ythat matter? I always felt it was up to personal choice seeing as even the devs accept the name.

10 minutes ago, daniel l. said:

0.0 umm why exactly does ythat matter? I always felt it was up to personal choice seeing as even the devs accept the name.

You're right david, I'm sorry :D

Anyways, feel free to ping me if you need help setting up the galaxy. Working on GN made me learn a lot about stars and "galaxies" in ksp

What you want, is the SpaceEngine.

Imagine having it as the 'bulk' of this game.

No more weird PQS space oddities, no restrictions in reference framing and axial tilting, a fully fledged universe, everything celestial outside the known areas is procedurally generated and planet's surfaces can have details in their 'mesh' down to a meter.

I think it would make more sense to recreate the local bubble, a small portion of our galaxy, filled with a manageable number of stars, that can be all visited by one player within his limited lifetime. Why generate so much data if it merely serves the purpose of filling a void, that never gets visited, only glanced upon and smirked at as background starfield.

Now the question, what is more work-laden, manually 'writing' a whole galaxy (galaxies?), or porting this game over to the SpaceEngine.

Just for the giggles:

BTW, The guys that 'boldly go' never leave the milky way, only if funky superpowers are involved^^ One is named after one astonishing letter in our human alphabet.

And the guys fom a 'galaxy far far away' don't leave their galaxy either, although they tend to leave the ecliptic quite often.

I think the military guys meddling with olden Mesopotamian deities are the only ones, that hop around between galaxies, but that is not an actual propulsion method, it's cheating by wormholing through a bent sheet of paper, where Mr. Einstein and Mr. Rosen had scribbled on.

Don't mention the guy with his hyperdimensional telephone booth that's bigger on the inside, he's really messed up. He's basically everywhere and always, all in the same time, in reverse and upside down, while moving into two opposite directions simultaneously^^ If he'd borrow himself one shell of one fine cyber-Exterminator, he'd be basically godlike^^

Hmm, and why not rename the stock sun into Kronos?

Starts with a 'K' and faintly reminds of our own mythohystorical cosmogony.

:wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.