Mun detail?

ramses

Been watching a few Mun landing vids on youtube and some of them show amazing detail of the Mun surface. You can practically see every tiny rock on the ground.

I\'m running KSP on a Macbook Pro laptop and the best I get is something similar to grey carpet. Is this the reason for lack off detail?

Will be looking to purchase a new computer soon (the laptop is the misuses) and would like some input as to what kind of pc will give me the best results for this game, especially since it still seems to have a lot more to come.

I really love this game and want the very best it has to offer, so any help would be greatly appreciated :)

You can turn up the terrain detail to max, but it will slow most computers down to a crawl.

As to suggestions, I first suggest either A) you build your own PC, or B) you buy the parts and get a pro to do it for you if you\'re not comfortable with A. Why? It is almost always a TON easier. Here\'s a generic list of parts and general price ranges you want to be looking at (in AUD; USD are pretty close usually anyway). The only exception is if you plan on buying a Mac, in which case you can just use Apple\'s customiser to get you the best of everything. It\'s hellishly expensive, though.

Motherboard -- suggest a Gigabyte branded mobo, in the range of $100-$150. There are some real gems around that range if you have a bit of a hunt around then internet. You\'ll want at least one PCI-E 16x slot, either 2.0 or 2.1, for the graphics card. If you want to avoid spending a thousand bucks for an epic processor, you should get one that has an AM3/AM3+ slot for a CPU. Why? See next point.

Processor -- the best bang for your buck processor is almost undoubtedly the six-core AMD Phenom II X6, which I got brand new for around $230, whereas similar Intel processor (i5 or i7) would be upwards of $600 in some cases, according to most of what I hear about Intel\'s processors.

Power Supply -- Ideally around 500W-750W. Most likely to be under $100.

Case -- Anything big enough to fit in a normal-sized motherboard (if it can take an ATX motherboard -- NOT Micro-ATX -- it should be OK, but try to have a bit extra room; video cards are typically pretty huge). Around $100-$150.

RAM -- Around 4GB will do fine, but you can go for more if you want and are planning on using a 64-bit OS. Depending on the brand you get, you can get around 4GB for less than $60 if you look around.

Hard Disk -- Either a reasonably large SSD drive -- say, 120-ish GB or a standard disk drive at around 1TB. Sure, you probably won\'t use all the space on a 1TB drive, but they aren\'t exactly expensive these days. Around $120 for a decent SSD, and around $60 for a 1TB HDD, from memory.

Video Card -- Whatever is within budget. It\'s a good idea to go for one around $100-$150 if you\'re going for budget, and upwards of $200-$300 if you\'ve got a bit extra cash. I\'d recommend going with an ATI card, primarily because you almost always get more bang for your buck, although be sure to do a bit of research on the card you\'re going to get, because on some of the cards, the drivers that go with them do not play nice with certain games, and you get it looking all funny. As long as you steer clear of the real troublemakers, you should be fine. Just do a Google search for the card\'s name and model and see if any major problems with them pop up.\'

Annnd... that should just about cover all your bases. Not including peripherals, that\'s (I haven\'t added it all up, but) roughly under $1000. A similar PC from a retail store would most likely be above $1700 or more. And a decent computer repair shop will put it all together for you and get it up and running usually for less than a hundred or a hundred and fifty at the very outside, unless they\'re extremely stingy or they encounter unusual problems with it.

Finally, if you decide to go this way, make sure you talk to whoever you\'re getting to put it together for you and ask for recommendations, etc, because 99% of the time they know what they\'re talking about and can tell you if something isn\'t going to work and what alternatives are available and costs and suchlike. Do so when you have a list of parts you think will work well for you, but BEFORE you go off and buy them, in case you missed something about a particular part (or two) that will make things difficult for you.

Oh, that too. He *did* say he was getting a new PC and also asked for recommendations. So, I gave them. Also, terrain scatters (trees in kerbin, small rocks on the Mun) will make a laggy game into a slideshow when enabled. If you can run KSP fine, then you can experiment with the scatters.

If your on a budget and want good detail I would suggest

Dual Core AMD CPU 3Ghz or more $60

AM3 M/B $65

4Gb RAM $30

H/D $80

Optical Drive $20

Case $65

Power supply at least 550watt $80

Graphics card 560 ti / HD7770 $140

Wireless networking card $10

$550.

keyboard & mouse $30

OS $80

Monitor $120

If your on a budget and want good detail I would suggest

Dual Core AMD CPU 3Ghz or more $60

AM3 M/B $65

4Gb RAM $30

H/D $80

Optical Drive $20

Case $65

Power supply at least 550watt $80

Graphics card 560 ti / HD7770 $140

Wireless networking card $10

$550.

keyboard & mouse $30

OS $80

Monitor $120

I like this list a lot... Quite good for $500. I built my own according to my above specs, minus actually having a graphics card (at the moment, anyway, I\'ve yet to get one)... it wasn\'t more than a couple hundred above that budget.

And as to the newer Mun texture, I have no doubt that it\'ll be changed again in future. Many things are merely placeholder for now. We are in Alpha after all.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.