[1.12.x] RetractableLiftingSurface Module released

linuxgurugamer

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, infinite_monkey said:

TundraExploration uses this mod for the new "flapping" fins of the BFR. As far as I understand, though, this mod only knows 2 states and nothing in between, is that correct? Would it be possible to control the exact angle via kOS?

Not at this time.  I would have to contact the kOS developers to find what they would need to be able to do that.  In fact, since you have an interest, could you do that and get back to me?  I'm rather busy getting ready to rebuild all my mods for 1.5

I just verified that controlling a KSPfield works fine in kOS.

Does this mod just change lift or also drag? The BFR fins are mainly for drag, as far as I understand. Does the modder need to specify drag or is that calculated automatically depending on the angle? More specifically: the BFR can move the fins from 60 to 120 degrees relative to the current trajectory (when flying belly-first). I don't know much about aerodynamics, but the "visible" area should be the same at 60 and 120 degrees (but the air is forced towards the ship vs. outwards), and has a maximum at 90 degrees. Does one have to provide some kind of a drag coefficient curve for that or can RetractableLiftingSurface (or KSP itself) account for that?

monkey flaps arent control surfaces ie elevator,aileron,rudder. you set them to one of the fixed settings like a cessna 172 has 4 0,10,20, and depending on the model 30 or 40 for full. 

body flap for the shuttle etc was to try to keep the nose up during reentry.  thats why its off or on. also anything that produces lift also produces drag. more lift more drag.

probably the better thing to use for a bfs would be the split tail for the shuttle where the rudder is also a brake. you could rescale that tail and lock the controls for a pair to pitch and roll. another to act as a vertical stablizer and lock its controls to yaw.

oh and when i say rescale i dont mean tweakscale im talking about changing the scale 1,1,1 in the config. 

you could use the body flap to help with keeping the nose up as well as tilting a probe core about 15-20 degrees and get sas to help out some too. 

lots of rcs, sas and tilted probe core is what ive had the most luck with getting shuttle etc to come down like they are supposed to. 

here is a good flap video of a stol sherpa. The A10 is good example of how just about the entire wing changes shape depending on the conditions.  

Spoiler

Edited by COL.R.Neville

38 minutes ago, COL.R.Neville said:

body flap for the shuttle etc was to try to keep the nose up during reentry.  thats why its off or on. also anything that produces lift also produces drag. more lift more drag.

probably the better thing to use for a bfs would be the split tail for the shuttle where the rudder is also a brake. you could rescale that tail and lock the controls for a pair to pitch and roll. another to act as a vertical stablizer and lock its controls to yaw.

oh and when i say rescale i dont mean tweakscale im talking about changing the scale 1,1,1 in the config. 

you could use the body flap to help with keeping the nose up as well as tilting a probe core about 15-20 degrees and get sas to help out some too. 

lots of rcs, sas and tilted probe core is what ive had the most luck with getting shuttle etc to come down like they are supposed to. 

Sure, lift implies drag. I just wasn't sure if that holds true for KSP ;)

Did you see SpaceX's video of the new 2018 BFR? The goal here is to model that "skydiver"-like steering, so no rudder.

What's the difference between tweakscale and changing scale 1,1,1 in the config?

I don't know if tilting the probe core is necessary. It seems that for Mars the BFR will come in at an angle of attack of about 90 degrees, which should be the "radial out" direction from the orbit reference mode. But I want to control this via a script anyway.

I don't really get what your point is - you are right in saying that flaps are not control surfaces. But this mod isn't about flaps, and the BFR fins are also not really comparable to airplane flaps.

2 hours ago, infinite_monkey said:

What's the difference between tweakscale and changing scale 1,1,1 in the config?

I don't know if tilting the probe core is necessary. It seems that for Mars the BFR will come in at an angle of attack of about 90 degrees, which should be the "radial out" direction from the orbit reference mode. But I want to control this via a script anyway.

I don't really get what your point is - you are right in saying that flaps are not control surfaces. But this mod isn't about flaps, and the BFR fins are also not really comparable to airplane flaps.

yeah i know what you are talking about that the BFS fins are not airplane flaps what i was trying to do is get you to the same functionality in the real world via what we have to work with in KSP. 

tweakscale rescales the scale 1,1,1 to 2,2,2 when you go up 100 percent. so with the scale line you can reshape I believe the ksp name is the big S tailfin or something like that. 

you can do like 1.0,2.0,0.25 i think its x,y,z so that would wind up being same height, twice as wide, one quarter thickness. you would just have to mess with it. 

so ultimately you would wind up with a set of spoilerons like what the a10 uses. 

so the body flap you would use to get and help hold your nose up pitch. 

and the spoilerons would give you pitch and roll control, vertical stabilizer would give you your yaw while at the same time creating a ton of drag. 

Edited by COL.R.Neville

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.