Kerbal Space Prison?

MedwedianPresident

Gosh you're all a dark bunch with your vacuum gulags :)

The purpose of prison is not merely security, or deterrent, but rehabilitation. Given that I refuse to believe Kerbals could ever do anything beastly to one another (they're far too cute), and therefore Kerbal "crimes" are things like noise nuisance caused by flying supersonic through a residential neighbourhood at night - the primary emphasis in Kerbal prisons would be rehabilitation.

So drop them some place out of the way where they won't disturb Kerbling's sleep, supply them with all the tools, snacks, entertainment they need, drop a bunch of parts, KIS/KAS/Extraplanetary Launchpads, and tell them they can come home once they've built a <100db supersonic jet, or something equally ingenious.

17 hours ago, Fearless Son said:

Putting these two together, and we get "The Mun is a Harsh Mistress", by Robert A. Kerman.  

Missing the childish computer.

35 minutes ago, MiniMatt said:

The purpose of prison is not merely security, or deterrent, but rehabilitation. Given that I refuse to believe Kerbals could ever do anything beastly to one another (they're far too cute), and therefore Kerbal "crimes" are things like noise nuisance caused by flying supersonic through a residential neighbourhood at night - the primary emphasis in Kerbal prisons would be rehabilitation.

So drop them some place out of the way where they won't disturb Kerbling's sleep, supply them with all the tools, snacks, entertainment they need, drop a bunch of parts, KIS/KAS/Extraplanetary Launchpads, and tell them they can come home once they've built a <100db supersonic jet, or something equally ingenious.

This is my same thinking, only with science modules.  It would require somewhere easy to go to and return, so either an orbital station around Minmus or a grounded base there.  Get those miscreants working on science so the good kerbals can focus on other things, like making me money.

2 hours ago, samstarman5 said:

Missing the childish computer.

This is my same thinking, only with science modules.  It would require somewhere easy to go to and return, so either an orbital station around Minmus or a grounded base there.  Get those miscreants working on science so the good kerbals can focus on other things, like making me money.

This is a good point. Maybe, those kerbals who do REALLY nasty things (murder, rocket theft, deliberate crashing of vehicles, etc...) are immediately executed because they pose a danger to Kerbal society and to the space program at which it seems to be so obsessively centered?

I dont see any need for a space prison on earth/kerbin.

Reason is very simple, it is to expensive and can be done much cheaper.
Find an island far away and keep the location secret from any nation and shipping lane and setup some remote survaliance of sea and ocean.

Example could be an island a location where it is cold, so that anyone trying to escape will freeze to death or die if they swim anywhere. No need for hightech solutions, when lowtech work 100%.
Then they can airdrop some supplys to the prisoneres a few times every year.
Ofcourse the island can be under survaliance from cameras/radar and then they need to be ready to scare away ships/airplanes who come to close ect .

Actual similar places excist in example Russia.
Many years ago ( in the 60's i think ) 4-5 people managed to escape and walked more than 4000km though the siberian area where they enter mongolia and later india. But pretyt much everybody die if they try to escape from such a place. They freeze/starve/get eaten long before they reach civilization.

Edited by Peder

A prison starts to make sense if you have a judical branch of your nation.

A judical branch makes sense once you came up with some rules.

For some rules you need a legislation which usually resides in a palace or a parliament.

In absence of any legislation, law enforcement or even court yards, it is save to assume that Kerbin is governed by some sort of Anarchy.

Well, or if you want to express it in a more positive way: That planet is governed by the laws of physics and you simply cannot violate those...

Besides of that - why are you people coming up with things as prisons, torture and capital sentences..? It is a game about space exploration...duuudes...

7 hours ago, MiniMatt said:

MiniMatt,

True... but that was the question that was asked. :wink:

If you needed to put a kerbal somewhere where you can be sure they won't escape, how do you go about doing it? Just put them on Eve. No need for walls or guards.

If we want to go *really* dark, we could always just chuck them down a Mohole or kill them. :)

Best,
-Slashy

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 10:59 PM, MedwedianPresident said:

Hm...I imagine a story where Jeb is sentenced to death and put into a prison in Munar or Minmus orbit. He is shot towards the surface or just deorbited using a cannon or an EVA seat to which a SRB is strapped, but manages to regain orbit using his jetpack and/or is rescued by Bob and Bill.

I'm late, but reading this made me think of Star Trek VI with Bones and Kirk escape... I can see Jeb and Bill/Bob doing a space prison break with Bob/Bill cruising in as the pick up.

22 hours ago, GoSlash27 said:

If we want to go *really* dark, we could always just chuck them down a Mohole or kill them. :)

The Mohole was something I was about to suggest.  

How many dark science fiction or fantasy stories have we all seen that involve a prison that takes the form of a deep pit with only one entrance to the surface, where the entrance is constantly guarded and fresh prisoners and supplies are just chucked down there and the population left to sort themselves out?  We could recreate something like that in the Mohole, with walls around the priperhery, guard towers overlooking it, and some overhanging modules that prisoners are kicked out of to fall into their prison below.  If you want to get really creative for effect, fill the hole full of spare parts and build them into a little ramshackle shanty-town.  

"You merely adopted the Mohole, I was born to it, molded by it.  I didn't see Kerbin until I was already a man!"

Plus even if someone does manage to make it out of the Mohole, they will not survive long on the surface of Moho:

200.gif

Edited by Fearless Son

Actually it will be probably either some sort of hard-to-get-to orbit (e.g. Low Kerbol Orbit, etc...) that can only be reached by specially designed vessels, with a journey taking many months or even years (considering the astronomic dV values and the fact that many long burns would be needed) or the surface of Eve or a heavily guarded Mohole.

BTW, for RP/Story purposes: the Moholes are areas of eternal shadow, meaning that it is VERY cold there. We could give the prisoners spacesuits with heating but without any protection against the heat just in case they escape...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.