[1.11.1] Hullcam VDS Continued

linuxgurugamer

3 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

Uh... what happened to the aerocam180 part?... i thought that part was specifically set to have the view flipped 180°? Exactly for thsi reason?

I just discovered references to it in the aerocam cfg file.... maybe its toggleable

11 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

Uh... what happened to the aerocam180 part?... i thought that part was specifically set to have the view flipped 180°? Exactly for thsi reason?

I just checked...and...
The part.cfg for the "aerocam", actually has TWO part definitions in it: one for the regular aerocam, and one for the aerocam180...
Scroll down in the .cfg... you'll see the ~180's PART definition in the bottom half of the .cfg...

It SHOULD show up in the editor as its own part, IIRC...??

Edited by Stone Blue

14 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

I just checked...and...
The part.cfg for the "aerocam", actually has TWO part definitions in it: one for the regular aerocam, and one for the aerocam180...
Scroll down in the .cfg... you'll see the ~180's PART definition in the bottom half of the .cfg...

It SHOULD show up in the editor as its own part, IIRC...??

not showing up though... I just checked. Maybe its 1 part PER cfg?

Edited by stali79

Anyway, I need a 90° mounting... The second definition is maybe for another cam (i.e. maybe the same, but with science)... And what if I want a 90° tilted cam or a 73°.... Obviously that could be either automatically aligned on the vertical or editable. Or simply rotatable....... --> without external support or asymetry, only a sign for "this is upwards". And not only ONE attach node..... Just like a good ol' Flea.

Edited by Kenny Kerman

13 hours ago, stali79 said:

not showing up though... I just checked. Maybe its 1 part PER cfg?

Hey stali,

Huh... I just installed Hullcam and gave it a try...
BOTH aerocams do in fact load in the editor, AND both do indeed work for me...
Altho I'm getting a couple dozen errs in the KSP.log from the mod... Most related to not being able to find the Hullcam and JSI external cam selector part modules...And no RESOURCE definitions...

And, no, I've seen other mods have SEVERAL parts defined in one config... The PART defs shouldnt conflict with one another, as long as all the brackets are properly paired... :P

Edited by Stone Blue

26 minutes ago, stali79 said:

Its odd then that i cannot see the 180 version at all...

Weird conflict with another mod, maybe?....

Or, do you have RPM installed also?... I was getting a TONE more errors with RPM installed... enough so, that I found Hullcam practically useless...

Ther's a jam with the UI buttons, some of them just stuck the whole cam system in weird states... Is it so difficult to have an "on/off" button, and 3 cursors? (orientation + zoom)....?? If I activate, then de-activate, it's on then off. What is the use of the "disable" button, except to stuck the whole thing in case of intempestive use?

Edited by Kenny Kerman

@linuxgurugamer
I have a small "bug" report here.

Before KSP 1.2 the camera focus was always on the center of mass (COM).
With the advanced tweakables in KSP 1.2, there came the possibility to aim the camera on a specific part, for example the command pod with "Aim Camera" and  then "Reset Camera" to switch back to the COM.

Since KSP 1.2, Hullcam has the small issue, that when leaving a hullcam view (so changing back to the stock camera), it goes not to the usual camera (COM) but it focusses the root part of the vessel.
One can see that when, for example, the command pod is the ships root part, you can right click it and see "Reset Camera", which means, it is focussed on this part at this moment. Also when you fully zoom in, you see that it is focussing on the root part.
But it shoudn't be focussed on any part at all, when leaving hull cam. Or maybe only in the case, the stock-camera-focus was on that part when entering HullCam.

I assume, the problem comes from the way Hullcam goes back to the stock-camera when leaving hull-camera. The view the mod switches to was OK for KSP before 1.2, but with KSP 1.2 this seems to be changed.

If you find a little time, could you check, if you find the correct way to switch back to the KSP-stock-camera-view without an unwanted focus to the root part?
A hint could be the mod "Camera focus changer" cause this mod switches correctly back to the KSP-stock-camera-view without an unwanted focus. So there it works like it should work.

PS: The mod "Camera Tools" has the same problem like Hullcam, switching back to a root-part-focussed-stock-view instead of the unfocussed-COM-stock-view.

But don't bother too much, if it's to hard to find, one can/have to live with that problem, I think. The workaround now after leaving a hullcam-view is to right click the root part and click "Reset Camera" to change the camera back to COM. However, when launching it is a little stress sometimes. :)

26 minutes ago, Jebs_SY said:

@linuxgurugamer
I have a small "bug" report here.

Before KSP 1.2 the camera focus was always on the center of mass (COM).
With the advanced tweakables in KSP 1.2, there came the possibility to aim the camera on a specific part, for example the command pod with "Aim Camera" and  then "Reset Camera" to switch back to the COM.

Since KSP 1.2, Hullcam has the small issue, that when leaving a hullcam view (so changing back to the stock camera), it goes not to the usual camera (COM) but it focusses the root part of the vessel.
One can see that when, for example, the command pod is the ships root part, you can right click it and see "Reset Camera", which means, it is focussed on this part at this moment. Also when you fully zoom in, you see that it is focussing on the root part.
But it shoudn't be focussed on any part at all, when leaving hull cam. Or maybe only in the case, the stock-camera-focus was on that part when entering HullCam.

I assume, the problem comes from the way Hullcam goes back to the stock-camera when leaving hull-camera. The view the mod switches to was OK for KSP before 1.2, but with KSP 1.2 this seems to be changed.

If you find a little time, could you check, if you find the correct way to switch back to the KSP-stock-camera-view without an unwanted focus to the root part?
A hint could be the mod "Camera focus changer" cause this mod switches correctly back to the KSP-stock-camera-view without an unwanted focus. So there it works like it should work.

PS: The mod "Camera Tools" has the same problem like Hullcam, switching back to a root-part-focussed-stock-view instead of the unfocussed-COM-stock-view.

But don't bother too much, if it's to hard to find, one can/have to live with that problem, I think. The workaround now after leaving a hullcam-view is to right click the root part and click "Reset Camera" to change the camera back to COM. However, when launching it is a little stress sometimes. :)

Raise a github issue, but I probably won't get to this until 1.3

Hi,

I have a theoretical question (or eventual request, but I kind of doubt that). I do like VDS Hullcam, but I am missing (nothing cricital, I am simply spoiled) a certain functionality. However I have no idea whether it is even possible to do in regards of how the engine, mod and game works. Even if it would be possible I understand it may be lightyears beyond scope of the mod, or simply too dificult to make. But here is the idea. If I describe something already existing - feel free to prove me foolish - I will be the happiest fool, because I would get my toy, which is my only intention :-)

What I would desire is to set a chosen VDS camera on loaded (not necesarily active) vessel (or slightly less ideal on active-only atleast) to make a screenshot every X seconds/minutes and store it on HDD. The idea is to make recon vessel (rover, plane, satelite, weirdstuff). Basicly I would love to get to operational altitude/area and "activate" the camera autoscreenshots.

In ideal scenario it would not display gui and not switch the player camera, optionaly within ist own gui element (aka FLIR targeting pods of BD armory). I am aware of possibility doing this via macro (set action group to activating camera, and make makro to "activate camera, deactivate gui, zoom, make screenshot and restore gui, restore camera" every time period) - but this is "hammering through", as it would mess with player camera on every "tick", and it would work only on active vessel.

What I would like is to either be able to remain IVA (or simply outside VDS cam, [or on different camera of VDS]) whole time and return with recon photographies without getting epylelsy from constantly switching & reseting camera.

In ideal scenario it would allow also to work on loaded-only vessels, which would make me able to e.g. make automated photographing of launches or takeoffs. Simply load main vessel, switch to "photo-vessel" activate camera, switch back to main vessel and do stuff. It would eventualy end after pre-set time, manualy or by putting the photo vessel "on rails".

If this is impossible to achieve, just tell me and I will chew through the macro solution. If in theory this would be possible, I am willing to participate, despite I am mod&programming iliterate (the idea of solving this via macro on active vessel means lot of sweat and tears for me... my very first own macro would that be :-) ) I can either describe it more... understandably, test or even learn how to help more valuably.

Thank you for any feedback, and once more - reject is valuable answer - I have simply no idea about moding or difficulty of my "request" (please consider it rather as a question only).

Edited by Skalgrin

• 3 weeks later...

Well there is no ui, this is unfortunate. And since I play on a qwertu keyboard the only key I could find is the next camera key...

And there are telescopes and like 100 cameras... After remembering the old days I thought this was the "mechjeb docking cam".

The smaller telescope has no modules and the bigger one does no science if I'm not mistaken.

Well this is not what I expected - maybe edit the description to reflect more what this mod actually does?

• 3 weeks later...