[1.11.1] Hullcam VDS Continued

linuxgurugamer

Hi, first of all thanks for keeping this great little mode maintained!

I've been having an issue for a long time with the shadows going crazy whenever any of the cameras in this mod are active, and it's driving my slightly crazy. I took a recording of it, you can see how the shadow kind of z fights and flickers on all of the buildings and runway (even where there shouldn't really be any shadows):

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue, and if anyone have any suggestions on where I should start looking for potential fixes to this problem. This was recorded in KSP 1.3, and with one of the compatible HullcamVDSContinued versions. I removed scatterer and reshade and can't think of any other mods that would interfere with this mod. Thanks :)

edit: I've tried patching KSP to 1.3.1 and only installing this mod and the same issue remains. Also tried forcing opengl but same result.

edit 2: After digging around in the code and changing the KSPField "cameraClip" from the default 0.01 to 0.10+ my issue was fixed. Feels good :D

Edited by Ozin
issue fixed

Sooo, I decided to download the latest version at spacedock (1.9.10) but ran into some issues. First, the Mk2 clamp-o-tron is indeed upside down relative to the "control from here" function. I'ma show:

https://imgur.com/YsAdcGN
Here, you can see the navball orientation is upside down. Ok, cool. Another problem: Pressin plus or minus doesn't take me into the camera (says there are no active vessels nearby). I have to right click to go into the camera.

https://imgur.com/kG2zG34
Now you see the camera is right side up, but navball is upside down. This leads to reverse controls when trying to dock.

https://imgur.com/C5xyTVI
Whoops. When I come out of camera view (via plus or minus, now they work), this happens.

So yeah, my game is 1.5.1, I have some mods running as well. Dunno if anyone else ran into this, if not, then I'm gonna get suspicious. I have to say though, previous version of this mod ran fine, except for the Mk2 upside down thingy.

1 hour ago, Vegetal said:

https://imgur.com/YsAdcGN
Here, you can see the navball orientation is upside down.

https://imgur.com/kG2zG34
Now you see the camera is right side up, but navball is upside down. This leads to reverse controls when trying to dock.

ok, now I understand what you are talking about

Pressin plus or minus doesn't take me into the camera (says there are no active vessels nearby). I have to right click to go into the camera.

this may be something else, but I'll check it out

https://imgur.com/C5xyTVI
Whoops. When I come out of camera view (via plus or minus, now they work), this happens.

I saw this once.

I will look into this in the next few days

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

ok, now I understand what you are talking about

this may be something else, but I'll check it out

I saw this once.

I will look into this in the next few days

To be fair, it's actually the Mk2 clamp-o-tron that has the "control from here" function upside down, at least if you compare it's exterior model to the other docking parts. No biggie actually, but these other issues on the most recent patch are quite game-breaking, so I'm reversing to the previous one.

If I can help by posting logs or my mod list somehow, just say. Thanks for keeping all these mods active my man!

I think I know what's going on, other than the Mk2 issue.  Would you be willing to test a beta dll?

Here is a beta zip:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/661tahqqlevbqvq/HullCameraVDS-0.1.9.11.zip?dl=0

Try it out and let me know, no change done for the Mk2 yet

Edited by linuxgurugamer

3 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I think I know what's going on, other than the Mk2 issue.  Would you be willing to test a beta dll?

Here is a beta zip:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/661tahqqlevbqvq/HullCameraVDS-0.1.9.11.zip?dl=0

Try it out and let me know, no change done for the Mk2 yet

Just tried out, it seems to be working as intended.

One thing I noticed that I just remembered: Pressing plus to select the next camera, the game pops that message about no nearby vessels (but works anyway). When pressing minus, it works, doesn't pop the message, but the mouse pointer disappears and I usually bring it back by pressing ESC ang going to the menu and back again. Dunno if that's a feature I'm not aware of but.....

One thing I noticed that I just remembered: Pressing plus to select the next camera, the game pops that message about no nearby vessels (but works anyway). When pressing minus, it works, doesn't pop the message, but the mouse pointer disappears and I usually bring it back by pressing ESC ang going to the menu and back again. Dunno if that's a feature I'm not aware of but.....

That is most likely the old behaviour

2 hours ago, Vegetal said:

Just tried out, it seems to be working as intended.

The other inline docking port had the same problem.

I've fixed it locally, want to test before releasing

New release, 0.1.9.11

• Reverted change to line 317 in MuMechModuleHullCamera, caused issues with cameras
  • Fixed cameras for the inline docking ports to match the navball when the docking port is the active control point
  • New feature, holding down the modifier key (Alt on Windows) when hitting + or - will change the control point to the docking port with the camera, only works on docking ports and the original controlling part

3 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

New release, 0.1.9.11

• Reverted change to line 317 in MuMechModuleHullCamera, caused issues with cameras
  • Fixed cameras for the inline docking ports to match the navball when the docking port is the active control point
  • New feature, holding down the modifier key (Alt on Windows) when hitting + or - will change the control point to the docking port with the camera, only works on docking ports and the original controlling part

Heeey that's a nice bonus feature there! Good work mate, will download now.

19 hours ago, mrvice said:

For some reason whenn i press ALT+ camera prev/next key my navball gets loveed up inversible

i was not able to reset the navball to its "default" state

No idea what you just said, other than you have some sort of problem, please clarify, ans post a complete output_log.txt

holding alt while pressing Next camera: - (Minus) or  Previous camera: = (Equals)

will lock up the navball in the blue center area and regardless wich key i press it will stay there

for example your in a plane on runway the navball should be horizontal aligned.

after pressing alt plus - or = , navball gets locked in blue center area

example pic:
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSwg-pqfqD7D65ZkUFLqJD
and i cannot reverse the navball to behave normaly

44 minutes ago, mrvice said:

holding alt while pressing Next camera: - (Minus) or  Previous camera: = (Equals)

will lock up the navball in the blue center area and regardless wich key i press it will stay there

for example your in a plane on runway the navball should be horizontal aligned.

after pressing alt plus - or = , navball gets locked in blue center area

example pic:
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSwg-pqfqD7D65ZkUFLqJD
and i cannot reverse the navball to behave normaly

You still didn't post a log file, and the craft file would also be helpful

sorry i cannot provide additional information
as i already deleted the mod 

an i start a new game every time a add a new mod to test it. (until i have all the ones that work for me and iam interessted in)

the only thing i can tell you it happens even when no other mod is installed

15 minutes ago, mrvice said:

sorry i cannot provide additional information
as i already deleted the mod 

an i start a new game every time a add a new mod to test it. (until i have all the ones that work for me and iam interessted in)

the only thing i can tell you it happens even when no other mod is installed

Can you at least describe the plane?  parts, cameras, docking ports, etc?  Otherwise it's a wasted report

You are also obviously running other mods, based on the image of the navball, an idea of what those are can also be helpful

Edited by linuxgurugamer

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Can you at least describe the plane?  parts, cameras, docking ports, etc?  Otherwise it's a wasted report

You are also obviously running other mods, based on the image of the navball, an idea of what those are can also be helpful

the picture i posted was just an example to show you the position where the navball gets locked (i just randomy googled after a picture) after pressing alt + prev or next cam
i sadly have no savegame anymore

it was a plane with default parts, sorry if i wasted your time

1 hour ago, mrvice said:

the picture i posted was just an example to show you the position where the navball gets locked (i just randomy googled after a picture) after pressing alt + prev or next cam
i sadly have no savegame anymore

it was a plane with default parts, sorry if i wasted your time

Not a waste, I've been able to replicate it,  Thanks for replying, next time, please be willing to do a little extra.  Mod authors do this for free, and having people willing to help, even a little bit, is extremely helpful

Is there a special camera I'm supposed to mount on a docking port, or is it supposed to be automatically activated?  I'm using the "NASA docking port" from the SLS Parts Pack, but can't find a way to activate the docking cam.

Yes, I have the latest Module Manager.

Log file.

Edited by AdmiralSirJohn
Added log file.

32 minutes ago, AdmiralSirJohn said:

Is there a special camera I'm supposed to mount on a docking port, or is it supposed to be automatically activated?  I'm using the "NASA docking port" from the SLS Parts Pack, but can't find a way to activate the docking cam.

Yes, I have the latest Module Manager.

Log file.

Its automatic, but needs to be coded for each docking port. Give me a link to the SLS parts pack, and I'll get one written up

20 hours ago, AdmiralSirJohn said:

I believe this is the one, but it's not the most recent version.  I can send you the zip file, if you like.

https://spacedock.info/mod/325/Space

Ok, I found the docking port.  I'm write up a patch for it this evening.  The problem is that these patches need to be customized for each docking port.

The following is totally untested, but you can try it, put the following in to a file called SLS_DockingCamera.cfg, anywhere is fine, but makes sense to put it into the Hullcam folder:

@PART[NASAdockingport]
{
	MODULE
	{
	    name = MuMechModuleHullCameraZoom
	    cameraName = NavCam
	    cameraForward = 0, 1, 0
	    cameraUp = 0, 0, -1
	    cameraPosition = 0, 0, 0
	    cameraFoVMax = 60
	    cameraFoVMin = 60
	    cameraMode = 1
	}
}

Depending on the results, you may need to modify one or more of the following lines:

• cameraForward
  • cameraUp
  • cameraPosition

If you do get it going before I get around to it, I'd appreciate you posting the config you have for it.

12 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Ok, I found the docking port.  I'm write up a patch for it this evening.  The problem is that these patches need to be customized for each docking port.

The following is totally untested, but you can try it, put the following in to a file called SLS_DockingCamera.cfg, anywhere is fine, but makes sense to put it into the Hullcam folder:

@PART[NASAdockingport]
{
	MODULE
	{
	    cameraName = NavCam
	    cameraForward = 0, 1, 0
	    cameraUp = 0, 0, -1
	    cameraPosition = 0, 0, 0
	    cameraFoVMax = 60
	    cameraFoVMin = 60
	    cameraMode = 1
	}
}

Depending on the results, you may need to modify one or more of the following lines:

• cameraForward
  • cameraUp
  • cameraPosition

If you do get it going before I get around to it, I'd appreciate you posting the config you have for it.

Yeah, I'm working on this presently.  I'll try your settings and report back.

I think I got the positioning right (may have to rotate it about the view axis).  Testing a wider FOV, since I'm only seeing one of the three petals.

Here are the current settings:

@PART [NASAdockingport]
{
	MODULE
	{
	    cameraName = NavCam
	    cameraForward = 0, 1, 0
	    //cameraUp = 0, 0, 1
		cameraUp = 0, 0, -1

cameraPosition = 0, 0.0, 0
	    cameraFoVMax = 80