[1.9.x] QuizTech Aero Pack Continued

linuxgurugamer

@Quiznos323 has graciously given me permission to continue supporting this mod pack.  As I am not a modeler, I'm supporting it in a maintenance mode, fixing bugs, keeping it working.

WARNING

There is a bug 1.4.* (and possibly in 1.3.1) which causes a plane with certain parts to immediatly jump to 1000m in height upon launching, and then slowly descend to the runway. It can be fixed by installing the WorldStabilizer mod, available at the following link.  Note that the 1.3.1 version DOES work in 1.4.*, although the author will be coming out with a 1.4.* version soon

Donations gratefully accepted

Patreon.png

https://www.patreon.com/linuxgurugamer

Please delete the QuizTechAero folder from previous versions to avoid any issues!

Please read the included installation document before posting about missing parts and installation problems. If you have followed those instructions and still have issues let me know. Thanks!

GuJ2jsJh.png

QuizTech Aero Pack v1.3.3

An expansion for stock and modded spaceplane parts!

Parts:

Spoiler

Command Pods~

• Mk2 Thunderbolt Cockpit
-Great for fighters and sleek aircraft!

vaeDoVGm.png

• Mk1 "Eagle" Cockpit
-A smaller fighter style cockpit to fit the Mk1 profile.

j8HV3ugm.png

• K-10 Cockpit
-A snub nosed, single seat cockpit for advanced jet aircraft. Rotary machine gun sold separately.
-No IVA currently (will be added at some point).

mXmZgNCm.png

• Mk2 Probe Core Nose
-A nose shaped probe core to keep your drones looking sleek and spiffy!

EJGhfpem.png

Engines~

• K-35B VTOL Jet Engine
-This jet engine provides the option for both forwards and horizontal take-off configurations with the help of a 90 degree rotating nozzle.

SWzzWuWm.pngLVB32Krm.png

• K-F.A.N. VTOL Lifter Section
-For use in conjunction with the K-35B, this unit pushes air at high speeds out the bottom to provide counter thrust in VTOL flight.

3yBcyajm.png

• Mk1 Razor VTOL Jet Engine
-Mk1 version of the patented spinny-disk-rotate-y-jet system!

LpPhVnWm.pngLjQKVnRm.png

• "Cyclone" VTOL Lifter Section
-A Mk1 sized inline VTOL fan section for use with smaller planes.

qO4ZLmkm.png

• Mk2 Twin Turbofan Engine
-A twin engine assembly made to fit the Mk2 fuselage!

39M8at6m.png

• "Phoenix" VTOL Wing Section
-These specialized wings provide vertical and conventional flight capability to suit just about all of your atmospheric needs.
-Note: When placing two symmetrical wings make sure to
set reverse thrust on the second wing
to ensure that you will take off level.

DtPMbDhm.png

• Mk2 NERVA Dual Atomic Engine
-This atomic engine sports dual nozzles and fits to the Mk2 body type. There's no need for a bulky decoupler as everything below the engine is ejected upon fairing separation. QuizTech Aerodynamics is not responsible for any misuse of nuclear materials or irradiated Kerbals!

ANvNs9Hm.pngIDpkPi2m.png

• Mk2 Linear Aerospike Rocket
-On the cutting edge of spaceplane technology, the linear aerospike rocket surpasses the performance and reliability of the standard rocket engine.

spvdUdom.pngkBFSmmvm.png

Fuel Tank~

• Mk2 Fuselage Quarter
-At exactly one quarter the length of a standard Mk2 fuselage, this bite sized tank offers three different fuel set-ups for you to choose from.

gDr0pjOm.png

RCS~

• K-21-RCS Jet Thruster
-Is your VTOL ever unstable? Slap some of these on the forward section of your plane to help with stability in atmosphere (especially when transitioning from VTOLto forward flight).

wJbYiWbm.png

Utility~

• Mk2 Shielded Docking Nose
-This nose cone hides within it a deployable docking port!

nmN1YSxm.pngXEGpTSbm.png

• Mk2 Service Bay
-This service bay features the ability to open both top and bottom doors independently. It also has the option to remove the inner brackets, allowing the construction of hollow bays.

OEpvEDvm.png9nbUR4Am.png

Structural~

• Short Mk2-1 adapter w/ Intakes
-A low profile adapter with the added benefit of intakes.

2KIwBpym.png

• Mk2 Snub Nose
-A snubbed nose for capping Mk2 body sections.

QBdeZQDm.png

• Mk2 Medium Nose
-A medium nose for capping Mk2 body sections.

TelWTp6m.png

• Mk2-0.625x2 Adapter
-Useful for SSTOs that utilize both air-breathing and rocket engines.

h5LVLoim.pngMJnVqstm.png

• Mk2-1 Slanted Adapter
-A generic Mk2 to Mk1 adapter with a flattened side.

waGt61vm.pnggIBZgatm.png

Videos:

Spoiler

Kottobos Games takes a look at some parts in the pack! Parts have been added since then but it gives a taste of what you can expect :)

YouTuber EnterElysium uses QTAP parts in his WWK3 video series! The parts are in use starting at around [5:45].

A slick VTOL spaceplane titled Brunhildr made by user Grunf911:

WIP:

Reveal hidden contents

Recommended Mods:

RastorPropMonitor

Throttle Control Avionics

B9 Procedural Parts/Wings

Adjustable Landing Gear

Mk2 Essentials

Bundled Plugins:

-BDAnimationModules.dll

-km_Gimbal.dll

-Firespitter.dll

No plugins are bundled anymore.  The following are required:

Downloadhttp://spacedock.info/mod/836/QuizTechAeroPackContinued

Source codehttps://github.com/linuxgurugamer/QuizTechAeroPackContinued/releases/tag/1.3.0

License: CC-BY 4.0 International

@SpaceCommanderNemo  Please define "Modular fuel tank compatibility".  There are lots of fuel tank mods out ther

Thanks to @flx for writing a patch for FAR 

Edited by linuxgurugamer

9 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

@SpaceCommanderNemo  Please define "Modular fuel tank compatibility".  There are lots of fuel tank mods out there

Uh, there are two, maybe three if you count interstellar fuel switch, but that doesn't involve stock resources. The quiz-tech parts all have incredibly low amounts of fuel (and all carry oxidizer). Besides, the big advantage to MFT is that it works like tweakscale. It only requires a parameters file for each mod.

1 minute ago, SpaceCommanderNemo said:

Uh, there are two, maybe three if you count interstellar fuel switch, but that doesn't involve stock resources. The quiz-tech parts all have incredibly low amounts of fuel (and all carry oxidizer). Besides, the big advantage to MFT is that it works like tweakscale. It only requires a parameters file for each mod.

If you could open a github issue, and put in as much info as you can, it will help me when i get back to this

@linuxgurugamer I'm on mobile so I'll go through it later. Heck, maybe I'll do it myself; quiz-tech is the only mod I use that isn't compatible with MFT, and a lot of other mods and similar stock parts could have the values ripped from them to make it easy.

For example, suicidalinsanity's MK 2 expansion also has a mk 2 w/ intakes but it carries a total of 400 fuel instead of the ~150 the quiz-tech pack adapter has (and it looks much better IMO). I'd like it to be up to aesthetics and not have one of two almost identical parts unnecessarily gimped.

Oh, and I guess out of things to add to the bug-list... The mk 2 to mk 1 w/ 2x0.625m adapter doesn't like symmetry at all. Again, the mk2 stockalike expansion has a similar part but it doesn't bug out on symmetry... Not sure what the difference is, but it's a little confusing/annoying.

Is this thread not in the wrong forum? Quiznos never released this mod. So, even if your are allowed to maintain it, it is still basically WIP. Therefore this should be in Add-On Development, no?

Edited by Flashblade

12 minutes ago, Flashblade said:

Is this thread not in the wrong forum? Quiznos never released this mod. So, even if your are allowed to maintain it, it is still basically WIP. Therefore this should be in Add-On Development, no?

It was available as a WIP, but I'm only doing it in a maintenance mode, with minor updates.  So this does belong here

18 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

@flx What makes you think this won't work in FAR?

This. (FAR removes lift arrows, their existence shows that stock aerodynamics will be applied to some parts)

Spoiler

jl6rnt.png

And this. (yep, stock aerodynamics was applied to compute cockpit lift)

Spoiler

10ehli8.png

I'll contact him to see what needs to be done

2 hours ago, TheKurgan said:

I'm confused.... was there an update? is there a change log? There are no parts listed under the heading... 

There was and then there wasn't.  I accidently uploaded a file to the Quiztech spacedock entry; it was the wrong upload.  I've deleted it and things should be back to normal.

btw, I fixed this for myself.

Spoiler

@PART[quizTechMk1K10Cockpit]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch]:BEFORE[FerramAerospaceResearch]
{
    @minimum_drag = 0
    @maximum_drag = 0
    @angularDrag = 0
    !MODULE[ModuleLiftingSurface] {}
}

@PART[quizTechMk1EagleCockpit]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch]:BEFORE[FerramAerospaceResearch]
{
    @minimum_drag = 0
    @maximum_drag = 0
    @angularDrag = 0
}

@PART[quizTechMk2ThunderboltCockpit]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch]:BEFORE[FerramAerospaceResearch]
{
    @minimum_drag = 0
    @maximum_drag = 0
    @angularDrag = 0
}

@PART[mk2ProbeNose]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch]:BEFORE[FerramAerospaceResearch]
{
    @minimum_drag = 0
    @maximum_drag = 0
    @angularDrag = 0
}

@PART[quizTechMk1K10Cockpit]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch]:BEFORE[FerramAerospaceResearch]
{
    @minimum_drag = 0
    @maximum_drag = 0
    @angularDrag = 0
}

@PART[mk2MedNose]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch]:BEFORE[FerramAerospaceResearch]
{
    @minimum_drag = 0
    @maximum_drag = 0
    @angularDrag = 0
}

@PART[Mk2-1_Adapter_Slanted]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch]:BEFORE[FerramAerospaceResearch]
{
    @minimum_drag = 0
    @maximum_drag = 0
    @angularDrag = 0
}

@PART[mk2-1AdapterIntakes]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch]:BEFORE[FerramAerospaceResearch]
{
    @minimum_drag = 0
    @maximum_drag = 0
    @angularDrag = 0
}

@PART[quizTechVTOLwing]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch]:FOR[FerramAerospaceResearch]
{
    @module = Part
    @maximum_drag = 0
    @minimum_drag = 0
    @angularDrag = 0
    !dragCoeff = DELETE
    !deflectionLiftCoeff = DELETE
    %MODULE[FARWingAerodynamicModel]
    {
        %b_2 = 3.5
        %MAC = 1.9 // this is basically wrong, but actual value should be somethere around
        %TaperRatio = 0.5
        %MidChordSweep = 26.57
    }
}

17 hours ago, flx said:

btw, I fixed this for myself.

Hide contents

{
    @minimum_drag = 0
    @maximum_drag = 0
    @angularDrag = 0
}

@PART[quizTechMk1EagleCockpit]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch]:BEFORE[FerramAerospaceResearch]
{
    @minimum_drag = 0
    @maximum_drag = 0
    @angularDrag = 0
}

@PART[quizTechMk2ThunderboltCockpit]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch]:BEFORE[FerramAerospaceResearch]
{
    @minimum_drag = 0
    @maximum_drag = 0
    @angularDrag = 0
}

@PART[mk2ProbeNose]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch]:BEFORE[FerramAerospaceResearch]
{
    @minimum_drag = 0
    @maximum_drag = 0
    @angularDrag = 0
}

{
    @minimum_drag = 0
    @maximum_drag = 0
    @angularDrag = 0
}

@PART[mk2MedNose]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch]:BEFORE[FerramAerospaceResearch]
{
    @minimum_drag = 0
    @maximum_drag = 0
    @angularDrag = 0
}

@PART[Mk2-1_Adapter_Slanted]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch]:BEFORE[FerramAerospaceResearch]
{
    @minimum_drag = 0
    @maximum_drag = 0
    @angularDrag = 0
}

@PART[mk2-1AdapterIntakes]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch]:BEFORE[FerramAerospaceResearch]
{
    @minimum_drag = 0
    @maximum_drag = 0
    @angularDrag = 0
}

@PART[quizTechVTOLwing]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch]:FOR[FerramAerospaceResearch]
{
    @module = Part
    @maximum_drag = 0
    @minimum_drag = 0
    @angularDrag = 0
    !dragCoeff = DELETE
    !deflectionLiftCoeff = DELETE
    %MODULE[FARWingAerodynamicModel]
    {
        %b_2 = 3.5
        %MAC = 1.9 // this is basically wrong, but actual value should be somethere around
        %TaperRatio = 0.5
        %MidChordSweep = 26.57
    }
}

Thanks, I'll add it to the mod.

5 hours ago, GantradiesDracos said:

erm..is there a fix to the...issue with the phoenix VTOL wings? they seem to be improperly mirrored in symmetry mode (read one is placed upside down), and its the same if i attempt to place the second wing manually

That's the way that KSP works, with regards to textures.

I assume you are having problems with the thrust;  you will need to set reverse thrust in the SPH on the one that seems to be upside down.  You can try doing this:

1. Add the VTOL wings in symmetry mode
  2. Right-click on the one that is upside down (the flag is the "top"), and set reverse thrust

4 minutes ago, GantradiesDracos said:

will give it another go. when i tried that, it just spun uncontrollabally, regardless of wether or not the mirrored engine was reversed5

Craft file would be useful.  also a picture

Edited by linuxgurugamer

• 2 weeks later...

Love the parts but there are a couple of things...

1. Mk2 Twin Turbofan Engine could use having the 'jet' search tag attaching to it for a small QoL improvement.
  2. Mk2 Twin Turbofan Engine has a Max Thrust of 1043.903 kN @ Mach 3 and an ISP of 8,000. Allowing for the fact that it is a twin-engine assembly, that is still 521.9515 kN @ Mach 3 per engine which is greater than the stock Turbo Ramjet (386.657 kN @ Mach 3, 4,000 ISP) and the Panther AB Turbofan (107.885 kN @ Mach 1.8, 9,000 ISP in Normal mode and 219.476 kN @ Mach 2.5, 4,000 ISP in Afterburner mode). Perhaps bring the stats in-line with two Panthers?

6 hours ago, WintericeUK said:

Love the parts but there are a couple of things...

1. Mk2 Twin Turbofan Engine could use having the 'jet' search tag attaching to it for a small QoL improvement.
  2. Mk2 Twin Turbofan Engine has a Max Thrust of 1043.903 kN @ Mach 3 and an ISP of 8,000. Allowing for the fact that it is a twin-engine assembly, that is still 521.9515 kN @ Mach 3 per engine which is greater than the stock Turbo Ramjet (386.657 kN @ Mach 3, 4,000 ISP) and the Panther AB Turbofan (107.885 kN @ Mach 1.8, 9,000 ISP in Normal mode and 219.476 kN @ Mach 2.5, 4,000 ISP in Afterburner mode). Perhaps bring the stats in-line with two Panthers?

Re. #1, I'm slowly adding tags to all the mods I'm maintaining,  I'll add this to the list

Re. #2, keeping in mind that this is a mod, and that stock isn't necessarily a good indicator, also keep in mind the tech level, can you suggest some better values?

7 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Re. #1, I'm slowly adding tags to all the mods I'm maintaining,  I'll add this to the list

Re. #2, keeping in mind that this is a mod, and that stock isn't necessarily a good indicator, also keep in mind the tech level, can you suggest some better values?

Great to hear regarding the tags.

So, I sat down with a Stock + Quiztech install of KSP and played around with some numbers and here's a suggested revision of the Mk2 Twin Turbofan Engine as a twin-mode engine with an afterburner (akin to the Panther).

Mode 1 - Normal

• 18,000 ISP
  • 522 kN Thrust @ Mach 2.5
  • 180kN Thrust @ Stationary

Mode 2 - Afterburner

• 8,000 ISP
  • 1,044 kN Thrust Mach 3
  • 300 kN Thrust @ Stationary

This would bring the normal mode of the engines in-line with the rest of the engines within the mod-pack while retaining the existing high-performance as a secondary mode so as not to break craft files. This would allow the engine to have a better cruise profile and still give it the power needed for either SSTOs or combat aircraft.

I drew up a quick spreadsheet of engine values, might be useful to help put these changes in context. Link to Google Docs Spreadsheet 

Thoughts and feedback?

Edited by WintericeUK
Correcting a typo

18 minutes ago, WintericeUK said:

Correct. It would balance the part with the rest of the jet engines within the pack without having to remove the very high thrust the engine is capable of AND also allow it to be of use as a higher efficiency cruising engine.

What would you think about this;

• A lower level engine, which would be available at the highAltitudeFlight tech level, which would be mode 1
  • A high level engine, mode 1 & mode 2, available at the supersonicFlight tech level

20 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

• A lower level engine, which would be available at the highAltitudeFlight tech level, which would be mode 1
  • A high level engine, mode 1 & mode 2, available at the supersonicFlight tech level

Also, can you explain your spreadsheet?  I'm trying to see how you calculated the thrust column.

15 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Hmm, one problem there, High Altitude flight comes AFTER supersonic flight on the stock tree and CTT, not sure about any other tech trees as I haven't got installs with them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.