[1.9.x] QuizTech Aero Pack Continued

linuxgurugamer

34 minutes ago, Mrbre4kr said:

Is the K35-B engine in development? It does not appear in my parts list. When I try to load the K-35 stock airplane, the Part not found message is shown. also there is no k-35 engine in the parts folder

Assuming you are running sandbox, sounds like something is wrong with your install. 

I would need a log file for any other help

6 hours ago, Mrbre4kr said:

Is the K35-B engine in development? It does not appear in my parts list. When I try to load the K-35 stock airplane, the Part not found message is shown. also there is no k-35 engine in the parts folder

For reference, the enclosing folder is called Mk2vtol and the part itself is k35b.cfg so if you're file-searching for K-35B that might be why you're not finding it.

32 minutes ago, JH4C said:

For reference, the enclosing folder is called Mk2vtol and the part itself is k35b.cfg so if you're file-searching for K-35B that might be why you're not finding it.

Thanks for the help, but I managed to fix it. I’m running a heavily modded 1.3.0 version  and for some reason the mk2 vtol engine wasn’t there, so I downloaded quiztech for 1.3.1 and it works now. 

Hi, I am getting this which may be the cause for the CTD's I am experiencing:

Spoiler

Module FSengineMenuCleaner threw during OnStart: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at FSengineMenuCleaner.toggleMenuItems (Boolean newState) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at FSengineMenuCleaner.OnStart (StartState state) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Part.ModulesOnStart () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Here are some files, the log output and the small craft I am testing with: https://www.dropbox.com/s/b8bljngpwjln5io/saves for QuizTech.2.rar?dl=0

Regarding the module FSengineMenuCleaner, I have grep'd and found only 3 files that contain that string. They are this engine \GameData\QuizTechAeroContinued\Parts\Engine\VTOL_FanWing\VTOL_FanWing.cfg and a couple of B9_Aerospace engines.
Thus I wonder if it would be possible and useful to investigate if an alternate method that removes some or all of the need for what I believe is the FireSpitter mod in the creation of this engine?
If you are interested in this idea, may I suggest that JadeOfMaar might have some relevant experience in transitioning from the requirement for the FireSpitter mod with engines.

Edited by Apaseall

1 hour ago, Apaseall said:

Hi, I am getting this which may be the cause for the CTD's I am experiencing:

Hide contents

Module FSengineMenuCleaner threw during OnStart: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at FSengineMenuCleaner.toggleMenuItems (Boolean newState) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at FSengineMenuCleaner.OnStart (StartState state) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Part.ModulesOnStart () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Here are some files, the log output and the small craft I am testing with: https://www.dropbox.com/s/b8bljngpwjln5io/saves for QuizTech.2.rar?dl=0

Regarding the module FSengineMenuCleaner, I have grep'd and found only 3 files that contain that string. They are this engine \GameData\QuizTechAeroContinued\Parts\Engine\VTOL_FanWing\VTOL_FanWing.cfg and a couple of B9_Aerospace engines.
Thus I wonder if it would be possible and useful to investigate if an alternate method that removes some or all of the need for what I believe is the FireSpitter mod in the creation of this engine?
If you are interested in this idea, may I suggest that JadeOfMaar might have some relevant experience in transitioning from the requirement for the FireSpitter mod with engines.

Those exceptions are normal for Firespitter, I believe.  These exceptions are not the cause of your CTD.  There are numerous exceptions in your log file, not just this.

And, if you are looking for something which MIGHT be related, there is an exception just above the crash.

In general, nullrefs do not and cannot cause a CTD.

Regarding FireSpitter, its used in all of the following:

Parts/Engine/Mk2vtol/cyclone.cfg:       name = FSplanePropellerSpinner
Parts/Engine/Mk2vtol/cyclone.cfg:       name = FSplanePropellerSpinner
Parts/Engine/Mk2vtol/KFAN.cfg:  name = FSplanePropellerSpinner
Parts/Engine/Mk2vtol/razor.cfg: name = FSanimateGeneric
Parts/Engine/VTOL_FanWing/VTOL_FanWing.cfg:     name = FSplanePropellerSpinner
Parts/Engine/VTOL_FanWing/VTOL_FanWing.cfg:     name = FSVTOLrotator
Parts/Engine/VTOL_FanWing/VTOL_FanWing.cfg:     name = FSpropellerAtmosphericNerf
Parts/Engine/VTOL_FanWing/VTOL_FanWing.cfg:     name = FSswitchEngineThrustTransform
Parts/Engine/VTOL_FanWing/VTOL_FanWing.cfg:     name = FSengineMenuCleaner
Parts/FuelTank/Mk2_Quarter_Tank/Mk2_Quart_Tank.cfg:             name = FSmeshSwitch
Parts/FuelTank/Mk2_Quarter_Tank/Mk2_Quart_Tank.cfg:             name = FSfuelSwitch
Parts/Utility/Mk2_Half_ServiceBay/Mk2_Half_ServiceBay.cfg:              name = FSmeshSwitch

The fuel and mesh can possibly be replaced, but all those others cannot at this time.

And I really don't have the interest or time right now to do major surgery on a part mod which works.  I believe that @RoverDude is the current maintainer for Firespitter, why don't you contact him about those NullRef errors.

If @JadeOfMaar or anyone else has any interest in making changes, I'd be happy to accept a PR for it (Pull Request on github)

• 2 months later...

Is anyone else having a problem with the K-FAN causing an exception/NaN problem on launch and then a CTD when trying to revert to the editor? It looks like something's wrong with the model. (Or I have a very weird mod conflict... But it's just that part so far.) If you want logs and a mod list, I'll supply them. I just don't feel like it now because it takes forever to load up an instance of KSP for me. Actually, I got smart and copied over a new instance of KSP with just QTAS for testing later. Still lazy though. (It's a bit late and I found another part in the MK2X mod to suit my needs for now.)

I'll eventually get back to this, however.

20 hours ago, StahnAileron said:

Is anyone else having a problem with the K-FAN causing an exception/NaN problem on launch and then a CTD when trying to revert to the editor? It looks like something's wrong with the model. (Or I have a very weird mod conflict... But it's just that part so far.) If you want logs and a mod list, I'll supply them. I just don't feel like it now because it takes forever to load up an instance of KSP for me. Actually, I got smart and copied over a new instance of KSP with just QTAS for testing later. Still lazy though. (It's a bit late and I found another part in the MK2X mod to suit my needs for now.)

I'll eventually get back to this, however.

would be nice to see a log file.  Would also be nice to know what version of KSP you are using, and what version of the mod you are using

5 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

would be nice to see a log file.  Would also be nice to know what version of KSP you are using, and what version of the mod you are using

Sorry about that. It was late and I was starting to go brain-dead. I got around to testing this with a trimmed down install. It's seems to be a conflict between QTAS and GPOSpeedFuelPump. Bug triggers when I attempt to engage the "Balance" function of GPO-SFP on a QuizTech engine that has fuel. (Tested with K-FAN and the Twin Afterburning Jet.)

• KSP 1.5.1
  • QTAS 1.3.13
  • GPO 1.8.16
  • MM 3.1.0

Log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4w2361d0gex2oj6/KSP.log?dl=0

The CTD on revert-to-editor when the camera gets screwy is a little harder to reproduce consistently. If it does revert to the editor, universe rendering gets screwed until I restart KSP.

Didn't get a Collider NaN calculation error with this set-up either. (I assume that's the result of another mod going nuts after GPO bugs out the game in my full install.)

Anything else you need? (Should I post this in the GPO thread as well? I didn't have any noticeable problems engaging GPO on a couple of stock fuel tanks.)

2 hours ago, StahnAileron said:

Anything else you need? (Should I post this in the GPO thread as well? I didn't have any noticeable problems engaging GPO on a couple of stock fuel tanks.)

Yes, you should post there, because these are just engines, doesn't make that much sense.  Maybe someone there will have an idea.  I won't be getting to this mod for a little while

I'll look at the logfile tomorrow

8 hours ago, StahnAileron said:

Sorry about that. It was late and I was starting to go brain-dead. I got around to testing this with a trimmed down install. It's seems to be a conflict between QTAS and GPOSpeedFuelPump. Bug triggers when I attempt to engage the "Balance" function of GPO-SFP on a QuizTech engine that has fuel. (Tested with K-FAN and the Twin Afterburning Jet.)

• KSP 1.5.1
  • QTAS 1.3.13
  • GPO 1.8.16
  • MM 3.1.0

Log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4w2361d0gex2oj6/KSP.log?dl=0

The CTD on revert-to-editor when the camera gets screwy is a little harder to reproduce consistently. If it does revert to the editor, universe rendering gets screwed until I restart KSP.

Didn't get a Collider NaN calculation error with this set-up either. (I assume that's the result of another mod going nuts after GPO bugs out the game in my full install.)

Good news!  It's totally reproducible

Bad news.  Nothing to do with Quiztech.  The engine is odd in that it also has some fuel, that is what's causing the problem.  As a test, I removed the fuel from the engine, and it worked nicely after that.  I suspect that the GPO is not expecting the same part to both have an engine in addition to the fuel

11 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Good news!  It's totally reproducible

Bad news.  Nothing to do with Quiztech.  The engine is odd in that it also has some fuel, that is what's causing the problem.  As a test, I removed the fuel from the engine, and it worked nicely after that.  I suspect that the GPO is not expecting the same part to both have an engine in addition to the fuel

I was starting to suspect that as well after I was done with my testing (to make sure it was reproducible and I was just doing something dumb.)

In the mean time, I guess I can either not use GPO on those parts (thankfully, it defaults to -OFF-), leave the fuel out, or use some of the parts from the MK2X mod. I'm partial to the QuizTech part since it has built-in intakes and the model animation is really nice (and makes it blatantly clear if I have those engines engaged or not even at zero throttle.)

Thanks for taking the time to look at this!

3 hours ago, StahnAileron said:

I was starting to suspect that as well after I was done with my testing (to make sure it was reproducible and I was just doing something dumb.)

In the mean time, I guess I can either not use GPO on those parts (thankfully, it defaults to -OFF-), leave the fuel out, or use some of the parts from the MK2X mod. I'm partial to the QuizTech part since it has built-in intakes and the model animation is really nice (and makes it blatantly clear if I have those engines engaged or not even at zero throttle.)

Thanks for taking the time to look at this!

@StahnAileron I found the problem in GPO, it was a divide-by-zero.   I've submitted a PR to fix it

Hello. I'm sorry if this has been asked before. I tried installing RPM but the cockpits in this mod doesn't diplay the RPM screens. I got the latest RPM from github. Extracted both mods in my gamedata folder. I also have the latest module manager. Am I missing something?  Sorry wrong airplane parts mod

Edited by reedhashlock
wrong mod

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2018 at 12:38 AM, anakin066 said:

I managed to add an afterburning mode to the K35 B engine by messing around the .cfg files. Perhaps adding that to the next release? :)  

That changes the engine dramatically.  Not all jet engines have afterburners.  I'm not sure about adding this to the mod at this time

18 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

That changes the engine dramatically.  Not all jet engines have afterburners.  I'm not sure about adding this to the mod at this time

Alrightie, addressing your first point, I would say from a modding perspective it doesn't change require a dramatical change, just modifying the code of the .cfg file is sufficient.

Moving on to your second point, the engine of the real life F 35 does have after burning mode, which I assume this engine is based by the looks of it. According to wikipedia, the Pratt & Whitney F135 engine will have quote "Thrust augmentation increases to 52%[34] in horizontal flight when using the afterburner, but with a large increase in fuel flow." 

Lastly, its your mod to maintain and I do appreciate the extra fun it gave me. I understand it still take time and effort to add an extra function in, I didn't take account to velocity curves and atmospheric curves when I add in this extra function for myself, so yeah think about it maybe.

Thanks for the reply and I hope my criticism is constructive!

On 11/24/2018 at 2:31 AM, anakin066 said:

Alrightie, addressing your first point, I would say from a modding perspective it doesn't change require a dramatical change, just modifying the code of the .cfg file is sufficient

I wasn’t thinking of that at all.

It is definitely something to think about.  If you were to provide a complete update, including the atmospheric and velocity curves, I would definitely consider it, most likely as an upgrade

Edited by linuxgurugamer

On 12/1/2018 at 4:59 PM, mrvice said:

using the kb-35 vtol engine on a plane .... plane will spawn always hundred´s of meters above in the air of ksc runway

als dependency mods are installed

It's a KSP bug, use the World Stabilizer mod to fix it: 

Would have been nice to see the log file to confirm which version of KSP youare running

On 12/1/2018 at 4:59 PM, mrvice said:

using the kb-35 vtol engine on a plane .... plane will spawn always hundred´s of meters above in the air of ksc runway

als dependency mods are installed

I think I may have fixed this.. I found an issue with a couple mesh obects in the model.

If you, or anybody, could test out this revised model, I would appreciate it.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MhDiSYgbRGGqmsc_XcHEqfCdsekBt-_p

Rename the original .mu first, then place this new .mu in the folder.

Also, if you have World Stabilizer installed, UNINSTALL it... (or move its folder out of the /GameData folder... you can cut/paste it somewhere, then cut/paste it back, to "reinstall" it)

Tagging you @linuxgurugamer ... ust so you're aware... i kno you are busy with LOTS of mod threads to keep up on...
If this model fix is good, World Stabilizer wont be "needed" for this mod...
I'm poking around the mod to see what else can be fixed/optimized.
Trying a replacement mod for the FS/BD dependencies, also.

Edited by Stone Blue

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.